Focal Stellia Review, Measurements, Interview - Head-Fi TV
Oct 16, 2020 at 12:31 AM Post #2,851 of 4,488
Thanks guys, based on the suggestions I am looking at these 2 right now:

http://arcticcables.com/Catalog.asp?Page=NewShowProd.asp&PRodID=1733908
http://www.norneaudio.com/litzheim/...cd-2-3-4-x-xc-elex-meze-empyrean-arya-sundara

I am liking the Draug cable's appearance more. Sonic wise are they similar or is the one from Arctic cables better?
The Arctic cable is pure occ silver, so probably better sounding. But I never heard the other cable so not sure, it’s just a guess.

Oct 16, 2020 at 2:07 AM Post #2,852 of 4,488
Thanks guys, based on the suggestions I am looking at these 2 right now:

http://arcticcables.com/Catalog.asp?Page=NewShowProd.asp&PRodID=1733908
http://www.norneaudio.com/litzheim/...cd-2-3-4-x-xc-elex-meze-empyrean-arya-sundara

I am liking the Draug cable's appearance more. Sonic wise are they similar or is the one from Arctic cables better?

i would go with the Arctic. upocc silver is essentially the best conductor on the planet, but to get the benefit in an hp cable you need 22awg or heavier per polarity (ie + and - on each channel). The actic is 8 x 26awg which is roughly the equivalent of 4 x 22awg. Upocc sounds very different to other solid silver, Due largely to its boundaryless molecular structure and lack of impurities. It should be smooth, refined, full with great sense of realism. People sometimes mistake it for copper on first listen. However dynamics, transparency and resolution are pretty much unbeatable, so 599 while not cheap is actually a bargain. Another bonus is that this cable will be pretty much furture proof, by which I mean should in the unlikely event you tire of the stellias, it will match with virtually any other headphone. I have 4x22 and 8x22awg and I have yet to find a headphone they domy improve or should I say allow you to hear the hp working at its fullest capability.

anything under 24awg per pole will still be highly detailed but will sound thin and a little
Sterile with a noticeable loss bass quantity, shape and slam.

So from the looks of it the arctic is the bargain of the two :):)

Oct 16, 2020 at 9:35 AM Post #2,853 of 4,488
Awesome, I am going to go with the Arctic cables, cheers guys!

Oct 19, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #2,854 of 4,488
My Sony WM1Z just arrived today! I know you're supposed to have like 200 hours but I am already in awe, previously i've been driving my Stellia directly from my laptop and iphone 6...

Quick question here since I think the wm1z thread in is closed, do I leave the Direct Source option on or off?

Also, I mentioned above I am getting a new cable, should I get 4.4 balanced or stick with the standard 3.5?

Oct 27, 2020 at 8:14 PM Post #2,855 of 4,488
I am curious if anyone has any thoughts on the following cage fight: Chord Hugo 2 (functioning as both DAC and Amp) VS Qutest with the GS-X Mini.

I would be driving either the Verite Closed and/or the Stellia. Thoughts on the various combos of the above equipment would be very helpful.

I’m weighing different home/office/portable options.

Thoughts? Thanks for your help!

Rich

Oct 28, 2020 at 10:09 PM Post #2,856 of 4,488
Doing some rough ABing tonight with VC and Stellia. Obviously both are spectacular for unique reasons.

-I seem to be able to appreciate the Stellia more out of my mojo (compared to VC out of mojo).

-and I give the nod to the VC out of Qutest/GS-X mini.

I think that with the Stellia on Mojo, I’m able to listen louder than I can with the Stellia from the Qutest/Mini. Out of Mini, it can get a little sharp.

With the VC from Qutest/Mini, this set up really is beautiful, tons of detail and slam and able to listen for hours. I’ve had this set up for months and have really loved it. Only reason I was experimenting with the Stellia is ...

Recently with a newborn girl, I’ve only been able to do portable listening from Mojo so I acquired the Stellia to see if it was a better match for the Mojo than the VC (on mojo just felt like something was missing) which indeed from quick impressions, Stellia-Mojo is the better match there.

*listening to the new Future Islands album out of Qobuz stream. A great album btw.

Oct 29, 2020 at 4:20 PM Post #2,857 of 4,488
My Sony WM1Z just arrived today! I know you're supposed to have like 200 hours but I am already in awe, previously i've been driving my Stellia directly from my laptop and iphone 6...

Quick question here since I think the wm1z thread in is closed, do I leave the Direct Source option on or off?

Also, I mentioned above I am getting a new cable, should I get 4.4 balanced or stick with the standard 3.5?

I would try Direct Source from the WM1Z to start with... My WM1A (with K-Mod Ultimate) is always in Direct Source

DEFINITELY get a 4.4mm balanced cable to use with the WM1Z...

Oct 29, 2020 at 4:24 PM Post #2,858 of 4,488
I drive my Stellia's from the headphone output of a dCS Bartok and have been trying two custom cables:

1) Forza Audioworks Noir Hybrid HPC
2) Arctic Cables Signum+

Both are great cables, but i find i can listen to the Forza for longer periods of time, its not quite as bright and really suits my set up.

The Arctic really shines, but its just a bit too much for me over longer periods of time. Its better suited to my other heaphones.

Oct 29, 2020 at 6:23 PM Post #2,859 of 4,488
I drive my Stellia's from the headphone output of a dCS Bartok and have been trying two custom cables:

1) Forza Audioworks Noir Hybrid HPC
2) Arctic Cables Signum+

Both are great cables, but i find i can listen to the Forza for longer periods of time, its not quite as bright and really suits my set up.

The Arctic really shines, but its just a bit too much for me over longer periods of time. Its better suited to my other heaphones.

Oh nice, I actually just ordered the Signum+ w 4.4 balanced. In my experience cable never makes a world of difference but do clean up the sounds and increase the soundstage a bit. Will see if I find them bright, the stock cable thus far I am finding pretty warm.

Oct 29, 2020 at 9:33 PM Post #2,860 of 4,488

I agree. I felt the signum+ was better with my other headphones than with the Stellia. I had the best Stellia experience with Black Dragon and WyWires Platinum ie copper.

Nov 2, 2020 at 7:46 AM Post #2,863 of 4,488
Stellia on rotation tonight.

20201102_204157-01.jpeg

Nov 2, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #2,864 of 4,488
I am listening to Smashing Pumpkins (Cyr) streaming on Tidal, using my Forza Audioworks Noir Hybrid HPC into my Stellia's and it sounds superb... Will swap to the Signum+ and go again in a little while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back