Focal Stellia Review, Measurements, Interview - Head-Fi TV
May 7, 2020 at 11:00 PM Post #1,966 of 4,495
With reference to microphonics with the stock Stellia cable. I personally could not use the Stellia with the stock cable, because cable noise was so bad. However some folk say there is not such an issue. I wonder then, if microphonics are not equal across all Stellia models.

For me cable noise was so bad I could hear every breath if the cable was touching my clothing. It meant holding the cable away from myself, if I could not get it to by itself.

@MacedonianHero
I was just wondering, did you ever hear the Grado PS2000e, and have any comparisons with Stellia?
the cable noise is dreadful..unless you sit perfectly still it is incredibly noisy

May 7, 2020 at 11:04 PM Post #1,967 of 4,495
the cable noise is dreadful..unless you sit perfectly still it is incredibly noisy

It sure seems like it must be the fabric resisting movement over clothing, or static electricity. I wonder if covering the cable with thin rubber tape would cure it for folks who have this problem. Anyone tried that? There's also electrical shrink tape, which would create a smooth, plastic outer lining that would glide over clothing.

May 7, 2020 at 11:17 PM Post #1,968 of 4,495
part of the problem is it is a closed HP which seems to exaggerate the noise

May 8, 2020 at 7:38 PM Post #1,969 of 4,495
Does anyone have a comparison between HIFIMAN Ananda and Focal Clear? I have the Focal Stellia, which I love and I'm looking for an open-back complement. I have the Ananda in my possession currently and while I like it, I'm not sure I love it. Wish it had a little more bass impact. Music is modern music, primarily rap/hip-hop, EDM, rock, metal, etc. Thanks for any insight.

May 9, 2020 at 6:50 AM Post #1,970 of 4,495
New Stellia user here, and definitely getting (what I presume are) microphonics. Hadn't noticed it until I played some classical just now, and as I turned my head the cord dragged across my shirt and I got abrasive rumbling. Even from a very slight movement. Very intrusive in classical music! :triportsad:

May 9, 2020 at 8:40 AM Post #1,971 of 4,495

New Stellia user here, and definitely getting (what I presume are) microphonics. Hadn't noticed it until I played some classical just now, and as I turned my head the cord dragged across my shirt and I got abrasive rumbling. Even from a very slight movement. Very intrusive in classical music! :triportsad:

One other aspect I did mention was that, I worried any cable upgrade might not be very effective in removing microphonics. As I said above, and quoted below.

With reference to microphonics with the stock Stellia cable. I personally could not use the Stellia with the stock cable, because cable noise was so bad. However some folk say there is not such an issue. I wonder then, if microphonics are not equal across all Stellia models.

For me cable noise was so bad I could hear every breath if the cable was touching my clothing. It meant holding the cable away from myself, if I could not get it to by itself.

If some Stellia have much more severe cable noise than others, then new cables might be noisy too.

It was tragic for me because I loved everything else about the Stellia, almost 100%. The only change I would have made was use a silver cable for more analytics. The silver cable would be more for hoping to lift the signature a bit, since it was a bit warm. The Stellia does have a couple of dB hump in the bass, according to graphs. Would have been nice to make that more neutral overall, if silver could have given a very slight treble lift.

Last edited:
May 9, 2020 at 9:21 AM Post #1,972 of 4,495
One other aspect I did mention was that, I worried any cable upgrade might not be very effective in removing microphonics. As I said above, and quoted below.

If some Stellia have much more severe cable noise than others, then new cables might be noisy too.
I would be quite sure that the stock cable's textured finish is contributing most of the problem - it's like an abrasive rubbing against the cloth. It looks all very nice and sexy, complementing the colour scheme of the headphones, but it MUST be practical first - looks are secondary....especially at number of coins required....

May 9, 2020 at 9:50 AM Post #1,973 of 4,495

It was tragic for me because I loved everything else about the Stellia, almost 100%. The only change I would have made was use a silver cable for more analytics. The silver cable would be more for hoping to lift the signature a bit, since it was a bit warm. The Stellia does have a couple of dB hump in the bass, according to graphs. Would have been nice to make that more neutral overall, if silver could have given a very slight treble lift.
But did you try the Stellia with a silver cable?
I have one and it is marvelous:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/arctic-cables-discussion-thread.874252/page-6#post-15390310

May 9, 2020 at 2:41 PM Post #1,974 of 4,495
May 9, 2020 at 4:15 PM Post #1,975 of 4,495
I would be quite sure that the stock cable's textured finish is contributing most of the problem - it's like an abrasive rubbing against the cloth. It looks all very nice and sexy, complementing the colour scheme of the headphones, but it MUST be practical first - looks are secondary....especially at number of coins required....

It's the fabric on the cable, there's resistance as it moves across the fabric of your clothes, Focal should have tested for this. I can get mine to do it too, but I only get a slight amount. If you get a plastic coasted cable that should go away (smoother, less or no resistance against clothing). I noticed last night that my Stellia cable mostly lies across my left arm due to my amp/dac being at ear level to my left, which I think is the main reason I get almost no microphonics with it. I got closer and had it lying across my shirt and I did get some, but I had to be moving around and it wasn't a lot, but it was there. If it ever bothers me, I'll get a Black Dragon cable (been researching cables anyway) and you might consider this too.

May 9, 2020 at 11:03 PM Post #1,976 of 4,495
it isnt the cable so much as the closed design....I have tried other cables that are dead silent on open backed HP's and they are noisy to varying degrees with the stellia

May 9, 2020 at 11:43 PM Post #1,977 of 4,495
it isnt the cable so much as the closed design....I have tried other cables that are dead silent on open backed HP's and they are noisy to varying degrees with the stellia
Yes that makes sense - very much like the string between cans trick that we played as kids. That just makes the fabric covered cable selection for (closed) Stellias by Focal rather poorly thought through. I mean, didn't ANYBODY at Focal try this combo before they were released and say to the boss "Ahhhh, we may have a super-easily solved problem here....".

I could well and truly do without the $100 leather-clad boxing (which is now upstairs in the attic - after 1 day of looking at it and thinking "what a wank"), and have them devote the funds towards a sensible cable.

US$3000 superb headphones.
Silly ostentatious leather box that is useless for anything after unpacking.
Cheap kink-prone cable that makes noises in the cans.
I...🤬

May 11, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #1,979 of 4,495
Does anyone have a comparison between HIFIMAN Ananda and Focal Clear? I have the Focal Stellia, which I love and I'm looking for an open-back complement. I have the Ananda in my possession currently and while I like it, I'm not sure I love it. Wish it had a little more bass impact. Music is modern music, primarily rap/hip-hop, EDM, rock, metal, etc. Thanks for any insight.
Re the characteristics you’re after i would strongly suggest to look at the aryas If you haven't already

i owned the anandas for a while but not quite what i was after. I since bought the hekse and utopia. From memory a little too bright and not quite what i was looking for. I demoed the clears a few times (but I have not owned them) and they have been lacking impact and overall razzamatazz.

Users who are viewing this thread

• tpal
Back