Focal SPIRIT PROFESSIONAL Impressions thread
May 26, 2016 at 11:24 PM Post #1,726 of 1,765
  what does a cable sound like?

;Pretty much like any other piece of audio gear 
wink.gif

May 27, 2016 at 3:18 AM Post #1,728 of 1,765
  Except they all sound the same 
cool.gif

If they're the same, they'll sound the same.

A short run will sound different than a long run
(of the same cable).
'
Even those who say "cables are all the same"
agree on this point.

Then there different materials being used.
A pure silver cable sounds different than
a pure copper cable.

Even OFC cables sound different than
regular copper cables.

There's also the soldering of the fittings
which affects the sound.

I know that this topic has been debated
intensely for years.  I've made up my mind
on it from listening. I'll say a few words on
it here and there, (as in this post),  but generally
I have no intention to sway anyone to my point
of view on this.  If someone believes that all
cables sound the same, it's fine with me.

Enjoy the music. 
cool.gif

May 27, 2016 at 3:23 AM Post #1,729 of 1,765
Oh gawd, not another cable debate.
ph34r.gif

Look...

Those who have experience with lots of cables know that some of them sound different.

Those who insist that all cables sound the same simply lack experience.

That's all there is to it.

May 27, 2016 at 3:31 AM Post #1,730 of 1,765
And all I asked was did anyone have experience with post market cables (eg Norne audio)

May 27, 2016 at 3:43 AM Post #1,732 of 1,765
In my opinion, at this price point, it makes more sense to just upgrade the headphones instead of buying a headphone cable that costs hundreds of dollars, even if said cable improves the sound.
I was thinking the same thing.

I've been surprised by the number of cables being made for the opponent pm 3

But I have lived how my fsp has scaled up with better amps/dac

May 27, 2016 at 3:45 AM Post #1,733 of 1,765
Has anyone experimented with post market cables on the fsp?

Wondering how these can be tweaked even better.

I look forward to hearing about which replacement/aftermarket cable you end up choosing to purchase. I feel cables are a worthwhile tweak so long as the cost doesn't surpass 1/3 of the headphones value or MSRP. Just my .02

May 27, 2016 at 4:00 AM Post #1,734 of 1,765
I was thinking the same thing.

In case it helps, here are a few of my favorites, only counting ones I have owned:

closed: Yamaha HPH-MT220* (the only closed headphone I like more than the FSP)

open: STAX SR-207*, HIFIMAN HE400i, Sennheiser HD 650 & HD 700

* = has nondetachable cable so you don't need to worry about aftermarket cables either way

May 27, 2016 at 5:02 AM Post #1,735 of 1,765
In case it helps, here are a few of my favorites, only counting ones I have owned:

closed: Yamaha HPH-MT220* (the only closed headphone I like more than the FSP)

open: STAX SR-207*, HIFIMAN HE400i, Sennheiser HD 650 & HD 700

* = has nondetachable cable so you don't need to worry about aftermarket cables either way
I'm good for headphones but I appreciate the suggestions.

My main set up is the hd800, I just bought the x2 for my wife (well sort of for her, more "for the house) and the fsp are my "travellers". I'm a huge fan of these x2. They scaled up really well with I bought a Sony pha3

The yamahas and the pm3 were in my my final selections when the fsp trumped them for me.

Jun 5, 2016 at 1:57 PM Post #1,737 of 1,765
Does anybody know anything about improving built quality of Spirit Pros? A year ago i was a happy owner till the cracks appeared 4 weeks later and as it lost seal, bass tightness and quantity i had to return them. I really miss them as they sound superb but if i'm about to buy it just to return/trash them few months later i'm not going to do it to myself.

Jun 17, 2016 at 11:27 PM Post #1,738 of 1,765
Calling all Focal freaks. You're in for a treat! Three new headphones available soon.

Listen: $249
Elear: $999
Utopia: $3,999

http://www.focal.com/headphones/
http://www.head-fi.org/t/811270/focal-elear-and-utopia-launch-with-impressions-head-fi-tv

Jun 23, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #1,739 of 1,765
  Does anybody know anything about improving built quality of Spirit Pros? A year ago i was a happy owner till the cracks appeared 4 weeks later and as it lost seal, bass tightness and quantity i had to return them. I really miss them as they sound superb but if i'm about to buy it just to return/trash them few months later i'm not going to do it to myself.

I'm guessing you're talking about the padding cracking and not the plastic parts? My recommendation is to reduce heat exposure. Same thing happened to some old ATH-M50s cans I used to leave in my car sometimes. Now I never leave headphones in my car, especially not on a hot day.

Depending on where you live, it may also be getting really hot in your home while you're out. I'm about to move down to LA, and I know the place I'm moving into can get super hot if the AC is off during the day in the summer. I'm temped to get a cheap wine cooler or something for my headphones.

Jun 23, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #1,740 of 1,765
  Calling all Focal freaks. You're in for a treat! Three new headphones available soon.

Listen: $249
Elear: $999
Utopia: $3,999

http://www.focal.com/headphones/
http://www.head-fi.org/t/811270/focal-elear-and-utopia-launch-with-impressions-head-fi-tv

Sweet! Thanks for sharing. Those Utopias are looking sexy. Too bad they're about 900% above my typical price range! It's okay, though. My K702 Annies will console me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back