Focal SPIRIT PROFESSIONAL Impressions thread
Jul 5, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #1,531 of 1,765
CAL more closely follows df target with slightly attenuated bass than focal, so they should have more energy in treble. And also some more air beause CAL is actually semi closed phones.
focal follows different target and so it has less energy in treble, and it is more linear fr without less dips and peaks, and focal has a sinificantly less distortion in bass area comparing to CAL's big ass distortion which gives warm or loose feeling depending on your point of view.
finally focal is closed phones with outstanding isolation. More isolation = more difficulty in tuninng the sound.
So please guys, stop comparing focal with wide open stax or semi closed with different target response and say 'this destroy focal!' They are all good phones with different uses.

Well stated, I couldn't agree more.

Jul 6, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #1,533 of 1,765
7520s :) more air, more details, less claustro...!
I own both.

Hm, seems to be a kind of gearlutz myth taken everywhere. The 7520 are such a weak blender that tyll didn't even bother to make a comment. Never heard such a weak but expensive hp. And well I had them for test purposes. Postes my measurements comparing them with FSP in the studio headphone thread.
I was forced to buy them because of the good reviews...

Jul 6, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #1,534 of 1,765
Hm, seems to be a kind of gearlutz myth taken everywhere. The 7520 are such a weak blender that tyll didn't even bother to make a comment. Never heard such a weak but expensive hp. And well I had them for test purposes. Postes my measurements comparing them with FSP in the studio headphone thread.
I was forced to buy them because of the good reviews...

M-13 more or less told me that the 7520 has tons of bass, which was unexpected. What's with all these studio monitor headphones having far too much bass? The M50X too. Not sure what purpose that would serve in a studio setting, aside from making your mixes too thin.

Jul 6, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #1,535 of 1,765

M-13 more or less told me that the 7520 has tons of bass, which was unexpected. What's with all these studio monitor headphones having far too much bass? The M50X too. Not sure what purpose that would serve in a studio setting, aside from making your mixes too thin.

That's not the result i get with the 7520s, A thin mix. As i stated and discussed before, here and on other forums such as gearsluts yep, you need to monitor at very low level for mixing or mastering duties. The extra sub region is fast and tight; for electronic music producers, it's a must... And i find them not that expensive. The ratio Weigh comfort / Build quality / Sound quality is very goog imo..
Sorry guys, i just realised i'm on the wrong thread..

Bye

Jul 6, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #1,536 of 1,765
I'm not very dependent on measurements but 

With it's mid-bass hump and sub-bass rolloff, the MDR-7520 seems more like the DJ headphones with strong bass to compensate for the loud ambient music in a club. I find my FSP to be very balanced and not lacking in any part of the spectrum. It doesn't have an amazing soundstage but it's decent for a closed headphone with good imaging. I find it best for tracks that highlight or need extra vocal clarity. 

Jul 6, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #1,537 of 1,765
  That's not the result i get with the 7520s, A thin mix. As i stated and discussed before, here and on other forums such as gearsluts yep, you need to monitor at very low level for mixing or mastering duties. The extra sub region is fast and tight; for electronic music producers, it's a must... And i find them not that expensive. The ratio Weigh comfort / Build quality / Sound quality is very goog imo..
Sorry guys, i just realised i'm on the wrong thread..

Bye

I didn't mean to sound like I was putting down the 7520. In fact, it's on my wish list. It's just that he told me it has quite a bit more bass than the Focal Spirit Professional, which already had too much bass (and not enough mids and treble) for my audiophile purposes. (I have no problem with a headphone having more bass if I'm listening to bass-heavy electronic music.)

Jul 9, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #1,538 of 1,765
I wonder how many others have bought multiple Focal Spirit Professionals. The first one I got had cooler-looking textured rain paint than the second. Later on in my journey, after I've got some ultra-high-end stuff, I'll probably buy a third FSP. It would be nice to use it while traveling. Perhaps I could also experiment with aftermarket cables.

Jul 9, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #1,539 of 1,765
I wonder how many others have bought multiple Focal Spirit Professionals. The first one I got had cooler-looking textured rain paint than the second. Later on in my journey, after I've got some ultra-high-end stuff, I'll probably buy a third FSP. It would be nice to use it while traveling. Perhaps I could also experiment with aftermarket cables.

I bought a second pair because my first one had a really weak subbass and transient response. It turned out I was right after back to back comparsion. Also made measuments with my rig to confirm that. I think I posted them in this thread a while ago. Didn't see any difference with case or coat/print.

Buggy mobile website behaviour -.-

Jul 31, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #1,545 of 1,765
Focal Spirit Classic owner. Now officially my favorite headphones now the Dt150 has gone.

Don't understand why they're not as popular as the Pro and other headphones.

Smooth and refined as silk but quite able to 'party' when the music demands it. The only headphone I really need as it's so versatile ie home or portable any genre.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back