Focal SPIRIT PROFESSIONAL Impressions thread
May 26, 2014 at 5:47 AM Post #588 of 1,765
  The FSP leaks less than the Sig Pro. I think the isolation is pretty good for a typical closed-headphone.

IMO The Signature pro has better isolation and leaks less
biggrin.gif

May 27, 2014 at 5:14 AM Post #591 of 1,765
After some time with my FSP i have to admit that the comfort is not that great as it first seemed. My ears start to hurt after 30 minutes on the FSP due to partly being an on-ear headphone. I havent decided yet if this will be a deal breaker for me. These headphones sound fantastic. The bass is kinda interesting. Going from feel i need more and would call them a bit bass light but actually listening the bass is always there when needed and very detailed. Adding a tiny bass boost already breaks the balance and clarity of the mids.

May 28, 2014 at 5:36 AM Post #592 of 1,765
Hi, my first post here, sorry to start from criticism but well...

I've bought Spirit Pro a week ago, and in few days got the tiny cracks in the plastic parts(headband), i've seen other people having the same experience, so wanted to confirm. I have middle size head and never stretched them or anything. They sound amazing but the materials used are bad. Writing this in hope that sooner or later Focal will realise that they have to update the model...Until then i'll have to skip(returned them yesterday)

Thanks!

May 28, 2014 at 8:51 AM Post #593 of 1,765
Hi, my first post here, sorry to start from criticism but well...

I've bought Spirit Pro a week ago, and in few days got the tiny cracks in the plastic parts(headband), i've seen other people having the same experience, so wanted to confirm. I have middle size head and never stretched them or anything. They sound amazing but the materials used are bad. Writing this in hope that sooner or later Focal will realise that they have to update the model...Until then i'll have to skip(returned them yesterday)

On the inside of the headband, right? I'm being very gentle with it. The sound is certainly appropriate for pro use, but not the build quality. :xf_eek:

May 28, 2014 at 9:08 AM Post #594 of 1,765
On the inside of the headband, right? I'm being very gentle with it. The sound is certainly appropriate for pro use, but not the build quality.
redface.gif

Exactly, the long plastic pieces inside/on the edge of the headband. I'm really disappointed, using my MDR-V6 for a few years now and they still look perfectly new. I don't mind the plastic as a material, and i like that 'rain' finish on the ear cups, even though i could live without those shiny metal details and thick 'fischer-audio'-style connectors. But this issue is a problem for me. Looking for the alternatives now...

May 29, 2014 at 4:09 AM Post #598 of 1,765
  Sorry if this has been asked already, but how do these headphones compare to the HD600/HD650?

The FSC and the HD650 sounds similar. To me it is the closest headphone to be considered a closed version of the HD650. From 200Hz/300Hz to 8KHz they are almost the same.

It (FSC) has rich, upfront, full bodied and beautiful mids, pretty similar to the HD650 ones. Also, it has the advantages and drawbacks of a closed can. If has better bass response, more defined and detailed, with an extremely flat response to the lowest end. The sub bass is more present although it has a bit less mid bass emphasis, maybe more due to of its flat response in the bass region than to a lack of mid bass. The highs are gentle but are not rolled off. Obviously, much more isolation.

But it has the disadvantages of a closed can. Closed sound. Significatively narrower and closed soundstage with less air. It is good for a closed can of its size, but it is not near the level of the Senn or Denons. In the midrange the FSC is very good but I think it is not as detailed as HD650, which is more textured and have more microdetails. In the highs I think the HD650 has a bit more extension (I mean extension to the top end, not volume) and sense of air. Also, the FSC is more unconfortable.

But you can't have all in only one headphone.

On other post I have made a comparison between FSC and FSP so you can get the idea. In summary, the FSP is a neutral version of the FSC, with less bass pressence and more detailed but drier and less full-bodied mids. I like the FSC more.

I hope that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back