Focal SPIRIT PROFESSIONAL Impressions thread
Mar 29, 2014 at 8:53 AM Post #361 of 1,765
By all accounts (I own the Classics and from what I've read about the Pros) Focal nailed the sound but have shot themselves in the foot with some poor materials (esp. on the Pros), headband design, comfort and QC issues. 

I returned my first pair of Classics as the metal plate (with Focal name on it) on the left earcup was fitted squint and rubbed against the plastic shell shaving off a fine layer of plastic whenever I adjusted the headphones whilst wearing them.  The replacements don't have that issue but did arrive with a small scratch (not enough to bother returning them) on one of the metal hinges which is just another sign of sloppy workmanship & QC.

I love the sound though and am sorely tempted to order some Pro's from Amazon.es but reading reports here (which proportionately seem quite high considering people aren't posting to report issues but to show their appreciation) of creaking cups, off kilter headbands and cracking plastic really doesn't inspire confidence and I'm sure many prospective customers feel the same. Even if it meant a bit more cost to the customer I wish Focal had invested a bit more time, money and effort getting the build spot on - even if they charged an extra £30/$50 I think they'd sell plenty are there aren't many comparably priced 'phones that hold a candle to them sound wise. 

It's a shame really as I think Focal got the hard part right but have likely hurt sales by cutting some corners :frowning2:

Mar 29, 2014 at 9:04 AM Post #362 of 1,765
Not good.  I wonder if Focal will replace or update the FSP in the nearish future.  Hmm...

Edit: Is the warranty only one year?

It's a shame really as I think Focal got the hard part right but have likely hurt sales by cutting some corners :frowning2:

Wouldn't be surprised to see more discounting on their price for that reason.

Apr 7, 2014 at 4:29 AM Post #363 of 1,765
The guys at Amazon.es sure are enjoying their siestas!

Apr 7, 2014 at 8:02 AM Post #365 of 1,765
Ordered the on day of this post and they got shipped on the 3rd of April. Well, ok weekend and all, but still took their sweet ass time. 

Hehe, this is exciting. I haven't purchased a new headphone in a long time. 

Apr 7, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #366 of 1,765
  I tried 3.5 to 3.5 cable from Kabeldirekt Pro
They have 0.25 Ohm Ground to Ground and 0.34 Ohm LR-LR
And they are very cheap on amazon
Nearly 7 Euros for 3 Meter

Thumbs up 

Is it this? And did you measure the resistence yourself?

Hmm, ordered the cable on this recommendation and the plug is too fat to fit into the FSP housing.  No?

Apr 7, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #368 of 1,765
I have the cable here so I'm not guessing.  Will give it another try tomorrow to be sure (it's late here now).  The connector is definitely a lot thicker than the stock/ v moda one. 

On a positive note, my new FSP's are sounding fantastic!

Apr 8, 2014 at 12:10 AM Post #369 of 1,765
  I have the cable here so I'm not guessing.  Will give it another try tomorrow to be sure (it's late here now).  The connector is definitely a lot thicker than the stock/ v moda one. 

On a positive note, my new FSP's are sounding fantastic!

Ah that's sad news. I haven't ordered it, but the original guy who posted this info owns you some money.

Apr 8, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #373 of 1,765
  i hope  you can send it back free
if not, i can provide shipping costs with paypal

Thanks for offering

Actually, the three metres length will be perfect as a back up washing line.  You could send me some pegs though
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back