Focal SPIRIT PROFESSIONAL Impressions thread
Mar 5, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #286 of 1,765
  Coincidentally, while I'm on this thread, Re: the FSP's fit. Despite the headphones being the best sounding closed headphones I've ever heard, and despite the fact that my ears fit in the small cups fine, I just can't get past the clamp issues. They have restarted my old TMJ problems. Even after four weeks, the way that they fit on my head caused my jaw to renew its old popping, clicking, grinding, and otherwise painful tightness. The FSP's clamp like the an HD25-II, which I'd normally see as a virtue. (They'll never just fall off.) The problem, and this is wholly a personal problem, is the place that the round pad sat at the jawline below the ear. They put too much pressure on the joint. 

I have pair of LFF T50rp Paradoxes now that are en route and should be here on Thursday. Comparisons to the FSP to follow.

you might want to try what I did with the FSP.  I wore a baseball cap and lowered the cups down about another half inch.  This relieved the clamping pressure to a great degree.  Yet in the end my ears were too large :frowning2:

Let us know how you get along with the Paradox.  Quite a different sound from the Mad Dogs, mids as I recall front and center like the FSP.  They impressed my quite a bit when I heard them side by side.  Are the ones you are getting the standard Paradox?

Mar 5, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #287 of 1,765
Paradox vs FSP shootout will be very nice Austin, haha. No pressure or anything, please do it at your own leisure.
beerchug.gif
(and photos too!)

Mar 6, 2014 at 8:37 AM Post #289 of 1,765
Compared a demo pair of Pro's with German Maestro GMP 8.35's (Mobile model with straight cable), listening exclusively to On-U Sound's 30th Anniversary reggae compilation for around half an hour.  Although I could hear subtle differences, they were clearly both cut from the same studio cloth. The Pro's had a slightly 'fruitier' and possibly more detailed bass, and greater punch. They also had a nice sense of three dimensionality and a cohesive quality that was alluring.  The Germans were also highly enjoyable with superb mids in particular.  I was reluctant to take either off my head.

What surprised me was that the GMP's seemed to have just a tad more air even with stock pads- the Pro's were darker than expected.  I wouldn't want to overplay this though, especially listening to just one LP of music- MP3 too- in shop conditions and maybe others would disagree.

I had no problems with the Pro's earcup size or clamp (demo pair mind), being almost too loose at their tightest setting for portable use, as they moved around slightly. NB I have a small head though.  The Pro's didn't isolate that well for me, as I could clearly hear people talking in the shop.  The Germans isolated better.

For portable use, I preferred the GMP's for their tougher build, tighter fit, better isolation and marginally airier sound.  For home use, I'd probably opt for the Pro's for those additional qualities mentioned above. At the end of the day, though, both are excellent cans.

Mar 6, 2014 at 3:05 PM Post #291 of 1,765
  Compared a demo pair of Pro's with German Maestro GMP 8.35's (Mobile model with straight cable), listening exclusively to On-U Sound's 30th Anniversary reggae compilation for around half an hour.  Although I could hear subtle differences, they were clearly both cut from the same studio cloth. The Pro's had a slightly 'fruitier' and possibly more detailed bass, and greater punch. They also had a nice sense of three dimensionality and a cohesive quality that was alluring.  The Germans were also highly enjoyable with superb mids in particular.  I was reluctant to take either off my head.

What surprised me was that the GMP's seemed to have just a tad more air even with stock pads- the Pro's were darker than expected.  I wouldn't want to overplay this though, especially listening to just one LP of music- MP3 too- in shop conditions and maybe others would disagree.

I had no problems with the Pro's earcup size or clamp (demo pair mind), being almost too loose at their tightest setting for portable use, as they moved around slightly. NB I have a small head though.  The Pro's didn't isolate that well for me, as I could clearly hear people talking in the shop.  The Germans isolated better.

For portable use, I preferred the GMP's for their tougher build, tighter fit, better isolation and marginally airier sound.  For home use, I'd probably opt for the Pro's for those additional qualities mentioned above. At the end of the day, though, both are excellent cans.

The pros are applauded for their isolation and I can see why but when next to the german maestro it is an absolute fail. I would not consider it fair for ANY headphone to go against the germans isolation or build quality for that matter. With bass boost on a portable device you have an over ear champion. My wife vacuuming didnt disturb listening at lower levels. But I would say that overall the Pro is less sibilant and a tad more smooth with better soundstage and detail. 

Sonically the pro is better in my opinion. Also the pads on the pro are nice though not fully circumaural.

You were just at a store and I have had both personally. I would still  say that you heard spot on! The thing about the german is that its pads can be easily rolled with tons of options from its own company let alone others so its comfort capabilities are full of potential. But it cannot match the balance of the pro in the studio.

imo where others call the Pro dark I would just say they are not boosted in the treble and anything brighter IS....but that its bass IS neutral and if you find the gmp lighter that it is recessed. Neither are one note basses and they both have good texture.

Mar 6, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #292 of 1,765
Paradox arrived this afternoon. Only have around two hours of listening in so far; I'll be listening to them for the next few days before putting up any substantial impressions. (As a way of preventing "New Toy Syndrome" from clouding my judgement too much.)

Mar 11, 2014 at 2:15 AM Post #293 of 1,765
Is is possible to put 3rd party ear pads on the Spirit Pro or the Spirit Classic in order to bring them up to around 60mm inside height? 48mm doesn't even seem like it should be considered circumaural at all for most people. Supra-aural fit and a strong clamp sounds really bad.

Mar 13, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #298 of 1,765
Hey,

For endless listening-editing-mixing sessions, i feel the MDR 7520 to be tiresome . very impactful..sonically.. : I'm deaf 
basshead.gif

I can't seem to get decided between the FSPro or the FSClassic. ( I own a HD650 but can't stand the mid hump.. no bass extension )
I mean, i'd like to get both... neutrality and sonic comfort.. to enjoy the work and last long ...
FI, I've just sold my FS one's, cuz i didn't liked the sound signature ( dark, rumbly, enclosed ) and lack of extra sub-bass .

thanks for sharing your feelings..

Mar 18, 2014 at 9:26 AM Post #299 of 1,765
ok, after some more readings on Gearslutz, i lean towards FSP.. 
ph34r.gif

Mar 19, 2014 at 4:29 AM Post #300 of 1,765
I ordered focal classic after was dissapointed from fidelio x1
Do you guys think,there is a big difference between pro and.classic?
I just like classic more.it looks gorgeous

I missed details in fidelio
It was great hp but coming from beyer pro with 24 bit vynil rips just sounded muddy on x1
I expect balanced sound from focal and at least same detalisation as beyer 990 pro or more

What could you say about it?
Is it realistic expectation?

I got them for 240 euros in germany

Users who are viewing this thread

Back