Focal SPIRIT PROFESSIONAL Impressions thread
Apr 28, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #1,203 of 1,765
  I can't recommend foobar enough. There's a little bit of a learning curve, but its got unrivaled features and flexibility. And its free. Between EAC and foobar I don't need any other audio software. 

Try the free trial of HQPlayer. Sounds wayyy better. (But the interface is awful.) I can give you recommended settings if you like.

Apr 28, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #1,204 of 1,765

Try the free trial of HQPlayer. Sounds wayyy better. (But the interface is awful.) I can give you recommended settings if you like.

Wait, there's SQ differences related to software? It never ends! 
eek.gif

Downloading now. Please do share your settings.

Apr 28, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #1,205 of 1,765

Wait, there's SQ differences related to software? It never ends! 
eek.gif

Downloading now. Please do share your settings.

It resamples/upsamples the audio and does other technical things to help your computer interact with your DAC better...or something like that. I couldn't believe how much more realistic HQPlayer sounded.

Apr 28, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #1,207 of 1,765

It resamples/upsamples the audio and does other technical things to help your computer interact with your DAC better...or something like that. I couldn't believe how much more realistic HQPlayer sounded.

Do you NEED to have an amp/DAC for it to work, or does it work without an amp/DAC either?

Apr 28, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #1,209 of 1,765
  Hm. FSP better than HD600? Not sure about that...but not much in it admittedly. 

I was surprised myself. I tried to like the HD600, thinking it should sound more open than the FSP doing side by side comparisons with my favourite tracks.
I wanted to like the HD600, but no chance.:wink: The FSP was just more everything. Clearer, more detailed. Higher highs and lower lows.
What I want to do next is take the FSP to a high end dealer and compare it to the best they got. Audeze, Stax, whatever. There are quite some high end shops nearby. I just need the time.:wink:

[edit].. I forgot that the HD600 was more comfortable to wear because of the larger earpads, but I mainly listen to music on the bus - a very noisy environment - and the FSP got more comfortable over time, so I can wear them easily for 1h+ when traveling.

Apr 28, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #1,210 of 1,765
  I was surprised myself. I tried to like the HD600, thinking it should sound more open than the FSP doing side by side comparisons with my favourite tracks.
I wanted to like the HD600, but no chance.:wink: The FSP was just more everything. Clearer, more detailed. Higher highs and lower lows.
What I want to do next is take the FSP to a high end dealer and compare it to the best they got. Audeze, Stax, whatever. There are quite some high end shops nearby. I just need the time.:wink:

[edit].. I forgot that the HD600 was more comfortable to wear because of the larger earpads, but I mainly listen to music on the bus - a very noisy environment - and the FSP got more comfortable over time, so I can wear them easily for 1h+ when traveling.

Quite a few people like the FSP more than the HD 600. While I haven't heard the HD 600, I have heard the HD 558, HD 590, and HD 700. (Owned the latter two.) The Sennheiser house sound seems mellow, laid-back, and somewhat veiled to me, without much physicality at all. So to me, the FSP is definitely more exciting than the Sennheiser headphones I have heard so far.

I look forward to the comparison!

Apr 28, 2015 at 9:26 PM Post #1,211 of 1,765
I thought that the HD600 was better for classical music - larger soundstage (not surprisingly), very clear-sounding.  But the FSP is definitely more exciting to listen to and I prefer it for every genre other than classical.

Apr 29, 2015 at 8:21 AM Post #1,212 of 1,765
  I thought that the HD600 was better for classical music - larger soundstage (not surprisingly), very clear-sounding.  But the FSP is definitely more exciting to listen to and I prefer it for every genre other than classical.

and yet some here find the FSP boring. And other expert reviewers I've read say the FSP is amazing with classical...

Quite a few people like the FSP more than the HD 600. While I haven't heard the HD 600, I have heard the HD 558, HD 590, and HD 700. (Owned the latter two.) The Sennheiser house sound seems mellow, laid-back, and somewhat veiled to me, without much physicality at all. So to me, the FSP is definitely more exciting than the Sennheiser headphones I have heard so far.

I look forward to the comparison!

HD600 mellow, veiled? Nah, not mine. Not in a million years. But they're about 8-10 years old and the new ones may be different. Not sure where we're going here. Up our own subjective rectums? 
biggrin.gif

Apr 29, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #1,214 of 1,765
HD600 has a moderate soundstage but the sensation it gives is that it is very much "out of the head". From my previous brief listen to the FSP I found it to have a good soundstage but isn't it still "in the head", contained? ie. open vs closed.

Apr 29, 2015 at 10:58 AM Post #1,215 of 1,765
  HD600 has a moderate soundstage but the sensation it gives is that it is very much "out of the head". From my previous brief listen to the FSP I found it to have a good soundstage but isn't it still "in the head", contained? ie. open vs closed.

It is. But not as much as it should be for a closed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back