Focal SPIRIT PROFESSIONAL Impressions thread
Apr 11, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #1,038 of 1,765
  But they're so cheap.. You can't have saved much on selling them?

I didn't sell them; I traded them. Then traded those headphones plus cash for others. And so on. I am on a low budget right now. That should change soon. I don't want to post about the seriously-high-end stuff I may get in the near future. Don't wanna jinx myself. I will probably buy the FSP again someday, at any rate.

Apr 11, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #1,039 of 1,765

Because I am working my way up to high-end headphones.

Wouldn't it make sense to hang on to the FSP as your reference? Then you have a standard with which to judge your future new headphones.
It pays to spend some time with headphones and get to know their subtleties.  Some things become more apparent after long term listening.

Apr 11, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #1,040 of 1,765
  Wouldn't it make sense to hang on to the FSP as your reference? Then you have a standard with which to judge your future new headphones.
It pays to spend some time with headphones and get to know their subtleties.  Some things become more apparent after long term listening.

I am on a low budget and cannot afford to keep headphones when upgrading. Though in the coming weeks, I intend on raising money and upgrading to one of the best headphones out there. I remember what the FSP sounded like. And I will probably buy it again in the future, after I have much better headphones.

Apr 12, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #1,045 of 1,765

Hmm. I didn't use them for gaming, but I do remember that with videos, the spacial effects were quite good! So it should probably be just as good for that. Not sure how it would fare against the best gaming headphones.

How do they sound unamped? And is the bass still enough for rap/hiphop? (I'm not a basshead, I like balanced bass)

Apr 12, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #1,046 of 1,765
  How do they sound unamped? And is the bass still enough for rap/hiphop? (I'm not a basshead, I like balanced bass)

I used a Schiit Magni 2 Uber amp with it and it sounded about the same unamped, except the bass seemed a little weaker sometimes. It has very nice bass. Slightly more than neutral, but follows the Harman-Olive HRTF target curve (which is the average of what people prefer from the sound of a headphone) almost exactly in the bass. It sounds excellent with all genres.

Apr 12, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #1,047 of 1,765

I used a Schiit Magni 2 Uber amp with it and it sounded about the same unamped, except the bass seemed a little weaker sometimes. It has very nice bass. Slightly more than neutral, but follows the Harman-Olive HRTF target curve (which is the average of what people prefer from the sound of a headphone) almost exactly in the bass. It sounds excellent with all genres.

Alright man, thanks. And are the highs sparkly, yet without any sibilance? Because the whole reason I'm passing up the Yamaha MT 220, is because a lot of people said that their treble/upper mids sound slightly harsher than neutral.

Apr 12, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #1,048 of 1,765
  Alright man, thanks. And are the highs sparkly, yet without any sibilance? Because the whole reason I'm passing up the Yamaha MT 220, is because a lot of people said that their treble/upper mids sound slightly harsher than neutral.

Look at the Spirit Pro's measurements.

Notice anything?
biggrin.gif

No nasty peaks! The green line is what a perfectly neutral frequency response would be like, so it is on the slightly darker side of neutral. It's the most accurate-sounding headphone I've heard, though I'm sure some higher-end headphones I haven't heard yet are more accurate.

But the Yamaha is like $150 now, while the Focal is still $349.

Apr 12, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #1,049 of 1,765

Look at the Spirit Pro's measurements.

Notice anything?
biggrin.gif

No nasty peaks! The green line is what a perfectly neutral frequency response would be like, so it is on the slightly darker side of neutral. It's the most accurate-sounding headphone I've heard, though I'm sure some higher-end headphones I haven't heard yet are more accurate.

But the Yamaha is like $150 now, while the Focal is still $349.

The FSP are 45 euro more expensive than the Yamahas in my country.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back