Focal SPIRIT PROFESSIONAL Impressions thread
Mar 6, 2015 at 12:53 AM Post #976 of 1,765
  I used a similar technique detailed on my blog HERE

You don't need to use the ios app in the article of course but the sinegen app worked well for me to identify potential correction areas.  My only advice would be to use as little eq as possible to get you close to the sound you desire.  Trust your ears.

Thanks a bunch! I'll look it over soon.

I read your FSP review on that blog a few times before!
biggrin.gif

If you're willing to share the parametric EQ settings you use with the FSP, I'm sure many here would appreciate it!

Mar 6, 2015 at 8:48 AM Post #978 of 1,765
FSP's balance throughout the frequency range is the best I've heard in headphones (equally good as LFF Paradox - in my opinion they are very close), no need to EQ them at all IMHO.

Mar 6, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #979 of 1,765
  FSP's balance throughout the frequency range is the best I've heard in headphones (equally good as LFF Paradox - in my opinion they are very close), no need to EQ them at all IMHO.

It's pretty good but still needs some EQ to be accurate. Same goes for even the best headphones. Unlike most others, it doesn't have nasty peaks, but is recessed in many frequencies, so things sound slightly muffled sometimes. Need to boost some of the mids and treble for it to sound right. My goal is to get as close to neutral as possible, not merely closer than the competition.

Mar 8, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #980 of 1,765
It's pretty good but still needs some EQ to be accurate. Same goes for even the best headphones. Unlike most others, it doesn't have nasty peaks, but is recessed in many frequencies, so things sound slightly muffled sometimes. Need to boost some of the mids and treble for it to sound right. My goal is to get as close to neutral as possible, not merely closer than the competition.

Ah yes, I recomend my TrueFlat™ EQ for maximum flatness.

You might think it counterintuitive at first but the results speak for themselves. Just avoid hitting play, that's the trick.

Mar 8, 2015 at 7:37 PM Post #982 of 1,765
Alright guys, I'm getting ready to sell all my audio gear to fund an electrostat system! If anyone wants my Focal Spirit Professional for wayyy below retail, you can PM me.

What you looking at?

Mar 18, 2015 at 8:59 PM Post #984 of 1,765
So I traded my Focal Spirit Professional for a beyerdynamic DT 880 Edition 660 Ω (aka Premium 600 Ω), which I will receive next week. Also ordered the JVC HA-SZ2000, which I probably won't receive until next month. Got the Sony MDR-7506 (and Schiit Fulla) today. The 7506 is surprisingly better than the FSP in some ways, though the FSP is better overall. I'm too lazy to go into more detail right now, but I will say that the 7506 is a great backup headphone! Should improve substantially once I EQ it.

Mar 24, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #985 of 1,765
  So I traded my Focal Spirit Professional for a beyerdynamic DT 880 Edition 660 Ω (aka Premium 600 Ω), which I will receive next week. Also ordered the JVC HA-SZ2000, which I probably won't receive until next month. Got the Sony MDR-7506 (and Schiit Fulla) today. The 7506 is surprisingly better than the FSP in some ways, though the FSP is better overall. I'm too lazy to go into more detail right now, but I will say that the 7506 is a great backup headphone! Should improve substantially once I EQ it.

I would be interested in a detailed comparison between the FSP, the DT 880, and the 7506. I owned the 7506 for a few years in the past, so it would be a good comparison for me to gain some insight into the FSP.

Also, and this is a question for anyone who owns or heard the FSP. I read a few reviews that remarked that the highs have a "weird" quality to them that is unique and throws some listeners off, or something to that extent. Could someone elaborate on that in more detail? 

Has anyone here used these for professional mixing? How did you find them for that purpose?

Lastly, I have read reviews that said the FSP sound almost identical to Focal's studio monitor speakers, can someone here provide more insight into that please?

Mar 24, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #986 of 1,765
  I would be interested in a detailed comparison between the FSP, the DT 880, and the 7506. I owned the 7506 for a few years in the past, so it would be a good comparison for me to gain some insight into the FSP.

Also, and this is a question for anyone who owns or heard the FSP. I read a few reviews that remarked that the highs have a "weird" quality to them that is unique and throws some listeners off, or something to that extent. Could someone elaborate on that in more detail? 

Has anyone here used these for professional mixing? How did you find them for that purpose?

Lastly, I have read reviews that said the FSP sound almost identical to Focal's studio monitor speakers, can someone here provide more insight into that please?

Hmm. I like the FSP most overall. With maybe 25 or 50% of my music, I like the 7506 much more, but with other music, it sounds awful, due to some peaks in the mids and treble. (I haven't properly equalized any of my headphones yet.) The FSP sounded fine with everything. Definitely the best choice, unless you want to save money and are going to use proper EQ. (Which you should do either way.) The DT 880 is more like a typical "hi-fi" headphone in the sense that it is neutral-ish, but kinda bright. Its peaks are nowhere near as nasty as the 7506. However, when I listen to music with the DT 880, I find that I am bored out of my mind! (I will probably trade it for a planar magnetic headphone.) It very easily handles everything, but is too gentle-sounding and doesn't have a good sense of dynamics. The FSP had great macrodynamics and pretty good macrodetail. I feel that the 7506 excels in microdynamics and microdetail. The cool thing about the 7506 is how natural and effortless it sounds, despite the peaks. It also has the best comfort and ease of use for me. Neither the 7506 or 880 have a great sense of physicality and impact either, at least not most of the time compared to the FSP. With the FSP, I could feel drums hitting, whereas with the others, they are more in the background. Being semi-open, the 880 naturally has a more impressive soundstage and imaging; however, this can make one feel distant from the music at times. The closed headphones sound more "normal" to me, but it depends on many factors. The FSP also has much stronger bass. But the 7506 has the best sense of clarity. And bear in mind that EQ can solve many problems with any headphone. The 7506 is by far the best value in my eyes, considering that it can be had for $85 while the FSP and DT 880 are in the $300-350 range.

Unlike many headphones, the FSP does not have any nasty peaks in the frequency response. As a result, it is on the darker side of neutral, since some of the frequencies are a little too recessed. (No headphone is going to be perfectly neutral, even if you can get it much closer with EQ.) Instead, it has a nasty resonance where the sound swells up and reflects back, which hurt my ears sometimes, mostly in the mid-range. It's like the sound was trying to get out, but had nowhere to go. Most closed headphones don't have a resonance as bad as this, and in fact, it's not really noticeable with most other closed headphones. However, it may have something to do with why the FSP has such excellent physicality and impact compared to so many other headphones. Anyway, perhaps they just meant that the highs don't murder your ears? I dunno. Your description was not specific at all. But it does lack some treble extension. Things that should be more in your face are a little too subdued sometimes. Unfortunately, most people who do serious EQ recommend that you don't increase the frequencies, but instead decrease them. Not sure how you're supposed to do that when you want to increase them in the first place.

Most music studios use studio monitor speakers for any serious work. Headphones are more like a backup and second opinion that cannot be relied upon exclusively.

I'm interested in knowing that too. I'm pretty sure the speakers sound better, though. =P

Mar 24, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #987 of 1,765

Hmm. I like the FSP most overall. With maybe 25 or 50% of my music, I like the 7506 much more, but with other music, it sounds awful, due to some peaks in the mids and treble. (I haven't properly equalized any of my headphones yet.) The FSP sounded fine with everything. Definitely the best choice, unless you want to save money and are going to use proper EQ. (Which you should do either way.) The DT 880 is more like a typical "hi-fi" headphone in the sense that it is neutral-ish, but kinda bright. Its peaks are nowhere near as nasty as the 7506. However, when I listen to music with the DT 880, I find that I am bored out of my mind! (I will probably trade it for a planar magnetic headphone.) It very easily handles everything, but is too gentle-sounding and doesn't have a good sense of dynamics. The FSP had great macrodynamics and pretty good macrodetail. I feel that the 7506 excels in microdynamics and microdetail. The cool thing about the 7506 is how natural and effortless it sounds, despite the peaks. It also has the best comfort and ease of use for me. Neither the 7506 or 880 have a great sense of physicality and impact either, at least not most of the time compared to the FSP. With the FSP, I could feel drums hitting, whereas with the others, they are more in the background. Being semi-open, the 880 naturally has a more impressive soundstage and imaging; however, this can make one feel distant from the music at times. The closed headphones sound more "normal" to me, but it depends on many factors. The FSP also has much stronger bass. But the 7506 has the best sense of clarity. And bear in mind that EQ can solve many problems with any headphone. The 7506 is by far the best value in my eyes, considering that it can be had for $85 while the FSP and DT 880 are in the $300-350 range.

Unlike many headphones, the FSP does not have any nasty peaks in the frequency response. As a result, it is on the darker side of neutral, since some of the frequencies are a little too recessed. (No headphone is going to be perfectly neutral, even if you can get it much closer with EQ.) Instead, it has a nasty resonance where the sound swells up and reflects back, which hurt my ears sometimes, mostly in the mid-range. It's like the sound was trying to get out, but had nowhere to go. Most closed headphones don't have a resonance as bad as this, and in fact, it's not really noticeable with most other closed headphones. However, it may have something to do with why the FSP has such excellent physicality and impact compared to so many other headphones. Anyway, perhaps they just meant that the highs don't murder your ears? I dunno. Your description was not specific at all. But it does lack some treble extension. Things that should be more in your face are a little too subdued sometimes. Unfortunately, most people who do serious EQ recommend that you don't increase the frequencies, but instead decrease them. Not sure how you're supposed to do that when you want to increase them in the first place.

Most music studios use studio monitor speakers for any serious work. Headphones are more like a backup and second opinion that cannot be relied upon exclusively.

I'm interested in knowing that too. I'm pretty sure the speakers sound better, though. =P

Thanks for taking the time to reply and give more detail. I appreciate it. I was wanting more detailed observations about the highs because like you said having something "weird" going on with the highs just doesn't tell you very much. 

The resonance you speak of is interesting. Not sure if I experienced that in a HP. I wonder if that is something that would really bother me about the FSP.

Your stance on the 7506 is interesting. The 7506 is just so cheap in other areas, I see why people see high value in it. Where I live the 7506 is $140 give or take a few bucks and just doesn't represent as good of a value making other HP's much more competitive. Especially the ATH-M series. If the 7506 were $80 for me here it would be a different story. I would probably just have stuck with them. 

Mar 24, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #988 of 1,765
  Thanks for taking the time to reply and give more detail. I appreciate it. I was wanting more detailed observations about the highs because like you said having something "weird" going on with the highs just doesn't tell you very much. 

The resonance you speak of is interesting. Not sure if I experienced that in a HP. I wonder if that is something that would really bother me about the FSP.

Your stance on the 7506 is interesting. The 7506 is just so cheap in other areas, I see why people see high value in it. Where I live the 7506 is $140 give or take a few bucks and just doesn't represent as good of a value making other HP's much more competitive. Especially the ATH-M series. If the 7506 were $80 for me here it would be a different story. I would probably just have stuck with them. 

The only thing I noticed with the highs is that they were too much in the background sometimes, but most of the time, it wasn't a problem, and was only slight anyway.

It's possible that my unit wasn't as good as other units. Who knows? The resonance probably wouldn't bother you.

You can't import it?

Mar 24, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #989 of 1,765

The only thing I noticed with the highs is that they were too much in the background sometimes, but most of the time, it wasn't a problem, and was only slight anyway.

It's possible that my unit wasn't as good as other units. Who knows? The resonance probably wouldn't bother you.

You can't import it?

Actually I have experienced resonance issues with speakers and certain rooms and/or speaker placement etc. and it does throw me off, just not sure about experiencing that in HP's and if it would throw me of if I heard it in a set. If I get a chance to hear the FSP I guess I'll know then.

As far as importing it doesn't make sense because of the weaker dollar where I live. With exchange rates and shipping it works out about the same for most products in general. I usually only import if it's a product that I just can't get here at all.

As far as the 7506 is concerned, it's priced $20 more than the ATH-M40X. In the states for example, I believe the 40X is around $10-20 more than the 7506. I'd prefer the 40X over the 7506 just for the more natural tonality alone, then you add in the fact it's cheaper here, so it's a no brainer. So yeah the 7506 has more comp here. That's just one example. Also here if you want to purchase the 7506 you are only going to find it at a dedicated Sony store or a store that specializes in music gear. ATHM series is more available.

Mar 24, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #990 of 1,765

Actually I have experienced resonance issues with speakers and certain rooms and/or speaker placement etc. and it does throw me off, just not sure about experiencing that in HP's and if it would throw me of if I heard it in cans. If I get a chance to hear the FSP I guess I'll know then.

As far as importing it doesn't make sense because of the weaker dollar where I live. With exchange rates and shipping it works out about the same for most products in general. I usually only import if it's a product that I just can't get here at all.

As far as the 7506 is concerned, it's priced $20 more than the ATH-M40X. In the states for example, I believe the 40X is around $10-20 more than the 7506. I'd prefer the 40X over the 7506 just for the more natural tonality alone, then you add in the fact it's cheaper here, so it's a no brainer. So yeah the 7506 has more comp here. That's just one example. Also here if you want to purchase the 7506 you are only going to find it at a dedicated Sony store or a store that specializes in music gear. ATHM series is more available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back