Focal SPIRIT PROFESSIONAL Impressions thread
Feb 23, 2015 at 12:11 AM Post #931 of 1,765
  I generally have a very difficult time finding cans that I actually like. When I walk into a store and try out headphones it goes like this: oh this one is too muddy, this one has no bass or warmth, why are all the vocals so distant sounding in this one?, this one kills all the "life" in the music, this one is OK sounding, but creaks when I move this is really annoying, oh I REALLY like the sound of this but damn it hurts my head, and on and on. lol

I generally like to take my time and research and check out as much as possible before I take the step to actually purchasing. Especially when it comes to audio. SQ is number 1 priority that's why I'm very intrigued by these. I just started my research phase fairly recently though, so I'm not sure if there's something else that would better suit my needs. When I got the ATHM 50 they where absolutely the best cans for me at the time for my budget and needs, and that took me some time to figure out. 

I generally just don't like the whole buying and returning things constantly. I'd rather narrow things down to the fewest possible choices weighing out pros and cons, then focus on those couple choices till I find a clear winner and something I KNOW I'm going to be content with for a very long time. After that I can forget about the whole headphone purchasing thing and focus on what I bought them for...music...until years later when I feel like I want another change in my sound.

I've gone through the same frustrating process, to an extent...and I wouldn't say the FSP is the best headphone I've heard if I didn't mean it!
cool.gif
It's actually the first headphone that I don't have any major complaints about. If you have no way of auditioning it beforehand, isn't buying it your only other option?

Feb 23, 2015 at 12:20 AM Post #932 of 1,765

I've gone through the same frustrating process, to an extent...and I wouldn't say the FSP is the best headphone I've heard if I didn't mean it!
cool.gif
It's actually the first headphone that I don't have any major complaints about. If you have no way of auditioning it beforehand, isn't buying it your only other option?

I actually may have a way to audition them this summer. I live in small town Ontario Canada ATM and hopefully for not too much longer. Anyways, If I head to a major city like Toronto, Ottawa, or Montreal there is a good chance I'll be able to audition these and many others. That's why I'm doing my research now, so I can find out what establishments have what models and I can visit the stores that have what I'm looking for. I'd be visiting one of these places regardless to visit family or friends.

Edit: I'd like to add, the one major reason I'm no longer all that thrilled with the ATHM-50 is because over the course of my time with them (again about 5 years more or less), I guess my ears may have matured or something and I very much desire to have more pronounced and articulated mids to go along with my highs and lows. In other words, the recessed mids are getting to me. I feel like vocals and such aren't presented quite right or not as good as they could be in the ATHM 50. 

Feb 23, 2015 at 1:48 AM Post #933 of 1,765
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/headphone-measurements-explained-frequency-response-part-two

GR07 BE FTW

The ATH-M50X is also in there.

Feb 23, 2015 at 2:40 AM Post #934 of 1,765

Most of the aspect of the sound, from speed to extension to neutrality appeal to me - I am guessing that I would prefer them SQ-wise well. The lack of comfort is a possible issue. I like to wear for long periods. I too would be curious to know what about the Sennheiser and what about the Sony you find to compliment / fall short on compared to the FSPs. The FSP would be my first closed phones in a real long time. Certainly the Sony's are not on my list as I have spent $400 on phones' before and would rather spend the $250-$300 range or less.

Never hear of the L2s. Not sure I am as interested in phones with cell phone features built in. Isolation and leakage are not a top priority - only comfort and SQ. On that note the X2s might be a consideration if they were clearly superior to the FSPs. If it is superior, I'd like to know in what ways.

Cell phone features are aspects of one of its two cables. The FSP has a cable with a mic as well. Thankfully, the L2 cable without a mic is still portable in length and not unwieldy like the coiled no mic cable of the FSP. The Fidelio L2 is faster, clearer, smoother throughout the frequency range. Soundstage is significantly better in width and even more so in depth (the L2 has amazing soundstage depth). What the FSP may better the L2 in is in neutrality as the L2 has warmer mids and a more forward treble response. 

I have no experience with the X2 but from the comparisons I've read, the X2 is more likeable (read less polarizing) and safer in tonality but is not as great in technicalities, smoothness, and lack of grain. 

http://www.headfonia.com/the-phenomenal-philips-fidelio-l2-feat-fidelio-m1bt-review/

This review may seem rather hyped and overtly subjective but I find their impressions (most of the time) on point. The L2 was also reviewed on the Head-Fi Buying Guide by Jude and was recently acknowledged by Joker recently. Check out the L2 thread on Head-Fi.

Lastly, the L2 is more comfortable for me being lighter and having more spacious earpads. 

Feb 23, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #935 of 1,765
I'm more of a home hobbyist who is currently moving into the business aspect of things. I work primarily with Hip Hop so that added bass in the ATHM 50 is actually quite nice for that application. They key when you are mixing with those cans is to not mix neutral. I found mixing for how you want things to actually sound when played in stereos, in the car, and other HP's seemed to turn better results. It also helped that they where in general the headphones I listened to everything on and on every source I have, so I got to know them well. Adding velour pads recently kind of changed things up a bit and I'm getting used to them all over again though. Also within my particular style and domain absolute perfection in mixes isn't needed. It's not music meant for audiophiles necessarily. It's music that is more raw and dirty mostly cause it's sample based from a lot of old  jazz, soul, funk, and various other music that can be molded and chopped into fitting the feel of the genre.

I think the added oomph in the Sony 7520 would be better suited for you. They are also a lot(A LOT) more comfortable than the FSP and replaceable earpads + power handling + dynamics + separation are a nice touch as well. I've been using the 7520 as my portable headphone as of late and it works quite well for long commutes. The FSP you kinda just get used to the fit but its a headphone that never ever disappears on the head, you always know it's there, the Sony 7520 is smaller than you'd think and looks more discrete on the head than something like the M50 for example despite similar size.

Feb 23, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #936 of 1,765
I think the added oomph in the Sony 7520 would be better suited for you. They are also a lot(A LOT) more comfortable than the FSP and replaceable earpads + power handling + dynamics + separation are a nice touch as well. I've been using the 7520 as my portable headphone as of late and it works quite well for long commutes. The FSP you kinda just get used to the fit but its a headphone that never ever disappears on the head, you always know it's there, the Sony 7520 is smaller than you'd think and looks more discrete on the head than something like the M50 for example despite similar size.

Thanks for the suggestion. The 7520 have definitely been on my radar for a little while now. The $399-499 Canadian funds price tag for these represent the absolute top, and I mean absolute top in price I'd ever pay for HP's at this time. FSP's are in a similar price range here. They are about $350.

Is there a set of cans that have similar qualities to these: being very accurate and mobile friendly (having iDevice controls would be a very nice added bonus as well as detachable cables) but come in velour pads and have a headband without pleather or other fairly fast disintegrating materials? Something that's in the price range of FSP's and lower. I'm willing to take a bit of a hit in SQ for having basically every quality I'm looking for. If I can't find that then I have to look at SQ to price ratio and just deal with whatever concessions I have to. In a sense I'm looking for an all rounder that I primarily listen to everything with it from my iPhone, to computer, to studio use. I like having one primary set of cans that I know really well, trust, and enjoy.

The 7506 where my 1st to sort of fit the bill, the ATHM-50 where a bit better, and now I'm looking for another step up, but in a slightly different direction.

I've also been looking at Sennheiser because that brand has the comfort and materials I'm looking for, for the most part. Many of them also seem to be fairly lightweight which is nice. However, looking at their line up just leaves me a little confused as to what models would work for me SQ, spec & feature wise. I've heard the HD 280 Pro and don't like the sound signature. The consumer oriented Urbanite looks interesting, but don't know if something like that would be too coloured for my overall needs. 

I've also looked at Shure. Their line up is a little more straight forward, but I detest long coiled cords, don't know if they offer shorter cords, or if other branded shorter cords will work. I have to look into that. I also get the sense that they are overly bright sounding which is something I didn't care for in the 7506.

AKG as a brand is rather confusing to me. Not too sure what to look at with those. No experience with that brand at all.

Some of the more competitive priced Ultrasones look intriguing as well. I've heard this brand before and like what I hear, but I would be limited to the lowest priced models in their range. Not sure if any of those would be suitable.

This is all pretty much where my head is at ATM. Really though the FSP's intrigue me the most just from the powerful reviews I've seen and read about them. They really seem like a outstanding and even special HP despite some issues. 

Feb 23, 2015 at 12:14 PM Post #937 of 1,765

Thanks for the suggestion. The 7520 have definitely been on my radar for a little while now. The $399-499 Canadian funds price tag for these represent the absolute top, and I mean absolute top in price I'd ever pay for HP's at this time. FSP's are in a similar price range here. They are about $350.

Is there a set of cans that have similar qualities to these: being very accurate and mobile friendly (having iDevice controls would be a very nice added bonus as well as detachable cables) but come in velour pads and have a headband without pleather or other fairly fast disintegrating materials? Something that's in the price range of FSP's and lower. I'm willing to take a bit of a hit in SQ for having basically every quality I'm looking for. If I can't find that then I have to look at SQ to price ratio and just deal with whatever concessions I have to. In a sense I'm looking for an all rounder that I primarily listen to everything with it from my iPhone, to computer, to studio use. I like having one primary set of cans that I know really well, trust, and enjoy.

The 7506 where my 1st to sort of fit the bill, the ATHM-50 where a bit better, and now I'm looking for another step up, but in a slightly different direction.

I've also been looking at Sennheiser because that brand has the comfort and materials I'm looking for, for the most part. Many of them also seem to be fairly lightweight which is nice. However, looking at their line up just leaves me a little confused as to what models would work for me SQ, spec & feature wise. I've heard the HD 280 Pro and don't like the sound signature. The consumer oriented Urbanite looks interesting, but don't know if something like that would be too coloured for my overall needs. 

I've also looked at Shure. Their line up is a little more straight forward, but I detest long coiled cords, don't know if they offer shorter cords, or if other branded shorter cords will work. I have to look into that. I also get the sense that they are overly bright sounding which is something I didn't care for in the 7506.

AKG as a brand is rather confusing to me. Not too sure what to look at with those. No experience with that brand at all.

Some of the more competitive priced Ultrasones look intriguing as well. I've heard this brand before and like what I hear, but I would be limited to the lowest priced models in their range. Not sure if any of those would be suitable.

This is all pretty much where my head is at ATM. Really though the FSP's intrigue me the most just from the powerful reviews I've seen and read about them. They really seem like a outstanding and even special HP despite some issues. 

i bought my FSP for 200 euro's here, now they are 250 still pretty cheap i guess. why are they so expansive in the US/CA?

Feb 23, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #941 of 1,765
  The netherlands. Bought them on Bax-shop where they were 205 euros for a time, now they are 255 or something

Out of curiosity I did some searching on-line and found in Europe and UK that prices were as low as around 150-170

Here's a link: http://www.proaudioeurope.com/monitoring/headphones/focal-spirit-professional-headphones.html

Not sure what "ex vat" means 

Don't know if posting links to shops is acceptable here or not?

Feb 23, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #945 of 1,765
  Out of curiosity I did some searching on-line and found in Europe and UK that prices were as low as around 150-170

Here's a link: http://www.proaudioeurope.com/monitoring/headphones/focal-spirit-professional-headphones.html

Not sure what "ex vat" means 

Don't know if posting links to shops is acceptable here or not?

That's about 232 USD. I guess the international market is different than the retail prices I'm familiar with. Some headphones made in the USA cost much more in other countries.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back