Focal SPIRIT PROFESSIONAL Impressions thread
Nov 23, 2014 at 5:54 AM Post #797 of 1,765
  However, all in all, I paid the same amount for my DT1350 and my Pros, I take the Pros any day, but I am figuring out how to increase the bass presence, I am an on/off basshead, depending on the music I listen to. The DT1350s does win in compactness though, and is easier to transport and store etc.

Interesting. I sent both Focals back just because the warmth in the sound was lacking. Apparently this is more important to me, whereas transparency is more important to you. It's totally clear that I ordered the Focals because I was looking for more transparency than my 1350s can provide. Apparently I need to step up in price range to make this happen. There is a Audeze that is closed (LCD-XC) so that may do the trick but it doesn't come cheap. This thing should sound darn great for what they charge. Here in the Netherlands it's 1800 Euros That would be 2230 USD. Ouch! In the US it costs 1799 USD so I would consider that a bargain :)

On the other hand, I used to be an audiophile music addict and I had a home stereo set that was really great. Sold most of it (except for the loudspeakers) because - now that I have children - somehow there never seems to be time to listen to that set. So I am willing to spend more if I get substantially more transparency because it may enable me to get my audiophile music experience back.

I do listen to music a lot with my Beyers and my new FiiO X5. It's a nice travel combo. No amp necessary. That would be different with the LCD-XC I guess.

Nov 25, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #798 of 1,765
Hi everyone,
I've been considering these headphones, but I have concerns about their durability. Are there any replacement pads available (or any other pads that fit them well)? How common are the problems with the headband?

Thanks!

Nov 27, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #799 of 1,765
Hi everyone,
I've been considering these headphones, but I have concerns about their durability. Are there any replacement pads available (or any other pads that fit them well)? How common are the problems with the headband?

Thanks!

Had mine for 6 months now and no cracks. You can't replace the Ear pads at all they are glued on.

Nov 27, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #800 of 1,765
Had mine for 6 months now and no cracks. You can't replace the Ear pads at all they are glued on.

Thanks for the reply! What led me to believe replacements existed was this line in the InnerFidelity review: "Ear-pads are attached with an adhesive tape ring, and I've been told that replacement ear-pads will be available in the not too distant future.", but I guess that's not true.
How satisfied are you with them?

Nov 29, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #801 of 1,765
Hi there.

Have them for a couple of months now and I have been considering buying a portable amp like the Topping NX1. Is this a good idea or is this throwing money out of the window, for the FSP drives perfectly without?
FWIW, I am mostly listening to them with my computer or my Sansa Clip+ at the moment.

Thank you very much :)

Nov 29, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #802 of 1,765
  Hi there.

Have them for a couple of months now and I have been considering buying a portable amp like the Topping NX1. Is this a good idea or is this throwing money out of the window, for the FSP drives perfectly without?
FWIW, I am mostly listening to them with my computer or my Sansa Clip+ at the moment.

Depends on how much you enjoy the computer and clip.  Most low cost amps will not be a significant upgrade to a good modern player or computer.  Many of these amps get soundly beaten by a good Cmoy amp like the JDS labs.  However moving upstream to a good dac / amp combo like the HRT Microstreamer or JDS  may significantly enhance your sound.

Dec 1, 2014 at 8:43 AM Post #804 of 1,765
I've had these for a few months now and I love them but I'm getting the itch to try another pair. Has anyone compared these to the sennheiser hd600?

When I was researching differences between the FSP and HD 600, it made me decide to forget about the latter. But that's just for my own purposes. You could just as easily say they complement each other. And I'm pretty sure the HD 600 scales much more with amplification. If you want to see some review comparisons, InnerFidelity and Amazon are a good place to start.

Dec 5, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #805 of 1,765
  Hi there.

Hi eXniHiLo,

I just received my FSPs today and am very impressed with the sound. I am driving them with a Topping NX1 on HO. The bass fills in noticeably switching from the LO. However, I would choose a stronger amp as I feel I could be getting even better sound if I had something more capable to feed them.

Dec 15, 2014 at 8:46 AM Post #809 of 1,765
  sony pulse is the best sub bass and bass headphone on the market ,trust me , nothing come close

From the collection of his headphones, he is a rather enthusiastic basshead, and I am presuming here he takes bass presence or volume to be of utmost importance.

Have you compared it to the JVC HA-SZ2000, Final Audio Design LAB I, and Abyss AB-1266?

I doubt ~$100 headphones compare to those in that department or anything else, for that matter.

For the bass on these sort of headphones, it is much more sophisticated. No more one note bass, and say hello to a whole lot more texture, detailing and also extension. The impact on planar magnetics such as the Abyss is also awesome.

Oops! Seems like I have derailed off topic, but I own a Focal Spirit Professionals and I find them absolutely stunning!

Visit prelaunch.hifisenses.com

My review of these cans would be posted there soon...

Dec 15, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #810 of 1,765
  For the bass on these sort of headphones, it is much more sophisticated. No more one note bass, and say hello to a whole lot more texture, detailing and also extension. The impact on planar magnetics such as the Abyss is also awesome.

Oops! Seems like I have derailed off topic, but I own a Focal Spirit Professionals and I find them absolutely stunning!

Exactly.

If I sold my QC15, guitar amp, and a few other things, I could get the FSP with minimal effort, but then, I may be headphone-less in the meantime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back