Focal SPIRIT PROFESSIONAL Impressions thread
Aug 3, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #1,576 of 1,765

Ah, I see. I'd be interested in your impressions of the Yamaha HPH-MT220 if you ever get to hear it. It's the only closed headphone I like more than the FSP.

I look forward to hearing the Yamaha HPH-MT220 sometime then. Thank you for the suggestion as I love finding these golden nuggets in a sea of headphones.

Aug 3, 2015 at 3:40 PM Post #1,577 of 1,765
Anyway, I think what we can all agree on is that the FSP has a good sense of coherence.

(The HD 650 is another coherent-sounding headphone with a darker tonal balance.)

I look forward to hearing the Yamaha HPH-MT220 sometime then. Thank you for the suggestion as I love finding these golden nuggets in a sea of headphones.

If you hear it, make sure to experiment with the position of your ears in the pads. With my ears in the middle, the mids were too recessed, but I eventually realized that the problem was easily fixed by moving my ears to the front of the pads, thanks to the angled drivers.

Aug 3, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #1,578 of 1,765
I can appreciate headphones that have a noted peak in the presence region for certain genres of music. I feel my Grado RS1i's fit this description quite well and I love them with acoustic/jazz, classical, or singer/songwriter genres. Whereas I have been using my FSP's for alternative and edm/electronica because of it's detailed yet extended bass response. I must admit I am a recovering bass head and have only recently been acquiring neutral or detail oriented cans/iem's. My search is now for that headphone which has detail (without sibilance), articulate bass response, and unadulterated mids, with a super wide soundstage of course too. The FSP has come close to being that headphone for me so enjoy immensely.

DT150 maybe

Aug 4, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #1,579 of 1,765
I see you own the Philips as well also the Momentum. Quite a collection.

Which do you prefer if you don't mind me asking?

I know you didn't ask me the question but I can offer some insight having extensively listening to the FSC but eventually choosing the FSP (even if I came into the store that faithful day knowing I'd get the FSC).

Ranking:

Fidelio L2, FSC, MOMENTUM

FSC and FSP are more or less on the same level for me overall but with different flavours. 

yes, L2 is not standard for 'neutralness', so shouldn't be a standard for the comparison with FSP, that's all I meant, I didn't said that you said it either.  
FSP is slightly dark comparing to the best speakers setup, but only slightly. 
L2 is surely 'clearer', I mean brighter, but not necessarily 'smoother' in my experience or in the measurements.
(check out Golden Ears measurements. ) 

The L2 is smoother and less grainy. More treble and upper-mid emphasis but surely smoother and better in timbre and texture. 

Aug 4, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #1,580 of 1,765

I know you didn't ask me the question but I can offer some insight having extensively listening to the FSC but eventually choosing the FSP (even if I came into the store that faithful day knowing I'd get the FSC).

Ranking:

Fidelio L2, FSC, MOMENTUM

FSC and FSP are more or less on the same level for me overall but with different flavours. 

The L2 is smoother and less grainy. More treble and upper-mid emphasis but surely smoother and better in timbre and texture. 

I agree, before I did buy I did Audit both, and the difference in favor of the L2 was shocking, as I am a Sennheiser fan, don´t know however about the second momentum Edition.I hate to say it but I have ti Impression Sennheiser benefit more from their legendary Status than  some of their current products.

Aug 4, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #1,581 of 1,765

I agree, before I did buy I did Audit both, and the difference in favor of the L2 was shocking, as I am a Sennheiser fan, don´t know however about the second momentum Edition.I hate to say it but I have ti Impression Sennheiser benefit more from their legendary Status than  some of their current products.

To be fair, the Momentums were the first headphones I ever got (in this hobby), the first headphone you promise yourself will be the only and last. I chose it because at its time of release, it was good. It wasn't amazing but it was more or less the first both commercial and luxury-consumer oriented headphone or basically the first "audiophile" answer to Beats. The market grew significantly and sound quality became a thing to even the masses. In other words, it's old. I'm hearing great things about the Momentum 2 and I do hope to compare them to the Focals and the L2 soon. 

Aug 5, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #1,582 of 1,765
I see you own the Philips as well also the Momentum. Quite a collection.

Which do you prefer if you don't mind me asking?

Hi, godbluff

Thank you very much. Sorry taking a while to answer. You have a good timing, I am just in the process of comparing those cans. I think if I should do a ranking it would be:

FSClassic > FSPro > L2 > Momentum

The Philips L2 is a great hp too, but I feel it has a over emphasise treble that (after a 30 or 40 minutes session) begins to hurt my ears and give me a little headache. Then I feel the necessity to change for something more smooth and balanced, like the FSClassic, which has a very enjoyable tone with just the right amount of sparkle that I love. The FSPro is close but I think that if someone sold his FSPro or plan to buy one, should listen to the FSClassic first; I believe it has a little edge over the FSPro. Another advantage of the FSClassic over the FSPro is that it is much more comfortable being certainly the most comfortable Focal hp. I feel both Focals are good for a wide variety of music and, maybe, the L2 is better with Classical music and orchestral... I just can't afirme it because I don't listen much to Classical these days, but it is a possibility.

All listening done in my desktop rig: Oppo 105 and Bryston BHA-1.

I really hope it helped. 

Aug 5, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #1,583 of 1,765
  Then I feel the necessity to change for something more smooth and balanced, like the FSClassic, which has a very enjoyable tone with just the right amount of sparkle that I love. The FSPro is close but I think that if someone sold his FSPro or plan to buy one, should listen to the FSClassic first; I believe it has a little edge over the FSPro.

What do you like about the sound of the Classic over the Professional?

Aug 5, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #1,584 of 1,765

Hi, godbluff

Thank you very much. Sorry taking a while to answer. You have a good timing, I am just in the process of comparing those cans. I think if I should do a ranking it would be:

FSClassic > FSPro > L2 > Momentum

The Philips L2 is a great hp too, but I feel it has a over emphasise treble that (after a 30 or 40 minutes session) begins to hurt my ears and give me a little headache. Then I feel the necessity to change for something more smooth and balanced, like the FSClassic, which has a very enjoyable tone with just the right amount of sparkle that I love. The FSPro is close but I think that if someone sold his FSPro or plan to buy one, should listen to the FSClassic first; I believe it has a little edge over the FSPro. Another advantage of the FSClassic over the FSPro is that it is much more comfortable being certainly the most comfortable Focal hp. I feel both Focals are good for a wide variety of music and, maybe, the L2 is better with Classical music and orchestral... I just can't afirme it because I don't listen much to Classical these days, but it is a possibility.

All listening done in my desktop rig: Oppo 105 and Bryston BHA-1.

I really hope it helped. 

I had the same exact problem you had with the L2, but instead with the FSP LOL.

After about 30 minutes I had to take them of because the sound would get too fatiguing for me, while with the Philips L2 the sound never fatigues me. But I'm selling the L2 because I can't get a proper seal with them lately.

Aug 10, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #1,585 of 1,765
Just ordered the FSP. Should arrive on Saturday...:)

Aug 10, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #1,586 of 1,765
Just ordered the FSP. Should arrive on Saturday...
smily_headphones1.gif

Let me know how you think it compares to your HD 600. (I owned two FSPs and an HD 650, but haven't yet heard the HD 600.)

Aug 13, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #1,587 of 1,765

Sorry for the delay. I got busy these days.

Quote:

What do you like about the sound of the Classic over the Professional?

The Classic (compared to the Pro) is warmer, has a little sparkle but no sibilance and a sweet tone that gives voices a little detached print that I like. The Pro has more bass in comparison. The differences are subtle and I don't think someone should buy the FSClassic if they already have the Pro (or vice-versa), as I did, because the variations aren't big and it would be overkill; but certainly give a listen to the Classic if you are in the market for a Focal.

I had the same exact problem you had with the L2, but instead with the FSP LOL.

After about 30 minutes I had to take them of because the sound would get too fatiguing for me, while with the Philips L2 the sound never fatigues me. But I'm selling the L2 because I can't get a proper seal with them lately.

Jeez, isn't this headphone hobby complicated?! I wish I had gone for gardening or shoplifting or something; would be less controversial and cheaper too. This discrepancy could be over the sources. My gear tends to neutrality (I guess) and probably the L2 (which I still believe is a great can) would shine in a warmer system. 

Cheers. 

Aug 14, 2015 at 12:13 AM Post #1,588 of 1,765
  The Classic (compared to the Pro) is warmer, has a little sparkle but no sibilance and a sweet tone that gives voices a little detached print that I like. The Pro has more bass in comparison. The differences are subtle and I don't think someone should buy the FSClassic if they already have the Pro (or vice-versa), as I did, because the variations aren't big and it would be overkill; but certainly give a listen to the Classic if you are in the market for a Focal.

I owned two Focal Spirit Professionals in the past and want to eventually buy or audition the Focal Spirit Classic just to hear how it sounds.

Many of us are patiently waiting for Focal to come out with an open-back headphone!

Aug 14, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #1,589 of 1,765

I owned two Focal Spirit Professionals in the past and want to eventually buy or audition the Focal Spirit Classic just to hear how it sounds.

Many of us are patiently waiting for Focal to come out with an open-back headphone!

+1. A big +1 on this one! I would love to hear an open-back Focal. It's a pity the dollar skyrocketed 50% in the last 6 months or so here in my country; everything got so much expensive for me.
mad.gif
 As a matter of fact, I visited Focal's website looking for any news on an open-back and saw that they now have an in-ear model: Sphear. 129 Euros. Another one hundred months or so and the open-back must be released! :xf_eek:

http://www.focal-br.com/en/in-ear-headphones/552-sphear-3544054725016.html

Aug 14, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #1,590 of 1,765
  +1. A big +1 on this one! I would love to hear an open-back Focal. It's a pity the dollar skyrocketed 50% in the last 6 months or so here in my country; everything got so much expensive for me.
mad.gif
 As a matter of fact, I visited Focal's website looking for any news on an open-back and saw that they now have an in-ear model: Sphear. 129 Euros. Another one hundred months or so and the open-back must be released! :xf_eek:

http://www.focal-br.com/en/in-ear-headphones/552-sphear-3544054725016.html

Yup: http://www.head-fi.org/t/774017/focal-sphear-earphones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back