Focal SPIRIT PROFESSIONAL Impressions thread
Jun 6, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #1,487 of 1,765
though I plan on getting some of the best ones after I have taken care of my SR-009 system

The Stax was a clear and articulate phone with a good sense of space but I found it too large to bother with for one. Im hoping some nice wireless in-ears come out myself. A packadge like the unoffical Aurisonics Auris with no wires* would be great. The ASG 2 I had wasn't my fav phone but its sound was good enough if I could get it in such a compact package.

You mostly listen at your desk? Do you wear headphones outside?

*There are well rated wireless sets but they still have a wire that connects the phones or houses the battery.

Jun 6, 2015 at 6:34 PM Post #1,490 of 1,765
In the next few days, I'm gonna try to figure out how to ship things internationally with tracking, and after that I'm gonna sell the FSP. Why? Because they're TOO revealing for my music taste (even though I almost only have 256 kbps m4a tracks or 320 kbps mp3 tracks). I just can't enjoy my music with them, because of that uppermids harshness that occurs on almost all of my songs.

After they're sold, I'm gonna buy the Yamaha MT220. And if I end up not liking those/if they're too revealing as well, I'm gonna buy the Creative Aurvana Live again and call it endgame.

Jun 7, 2015 at 6:26 AM Post #1,492 of 1,765

hi, 
as a person who have owned(and still own) most of the headphones that you mentioned, 
I recommend you to eq your focal to meet your taste, focal's frequency is very very unbelievably linear that almost comparable to 
open headphones. what you need to do is lower 8-10 kh a few decibel.
or if you want subtlety with forgivability, try this

Filter 1: PK (Peak)    Fc   150 Hz   Gain -4.0 dB    Q  0.50 / BW 2.5
Filter 2: PK               Fc 2300 Hz   Gain  2.5 dB    Q  1.80 / BW 0.8
Filter 3: PK               Fc 3400 Hz   Gain -2.0 dB   Q  2.90 / BW 0.5
Filter 4: PK               Fc 6500 Hz   Gain  4.0 dB    Q  1.20 / BW 1.2
Filter 5: PK              Fc 10500 Hz   Gain -5.0 dB   Q  3.60 / BW 0.4
Filter 6: PK               Fc 8000 Hz   Gain  0.0 dB    Q  0.50 / BW 2.5

if you think this is too burdensome, go strait to oppo pm-3, which is I think more forgivable and also more
enjoyable than aurvana live because of more tight bass. aurvana live is more hifi than you might have thought. 

Jun 7, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #1,493 of 1,765
  hi, 
as a person who have owned(and still own) most of the headphones that you mentioned, 
I recommend you to eq your focal to meet your taste, focal's frequency is very very unbelievably linear that almost comparable to 
open headphones. what you need to do is lower 8-10 kh a few decibel.
or if you want subtlety with forgivability, try this

Filter 1: PK (Peak)    Fc   150 Hz   Gain -4.0 dB    Q  0.50 / BW 2.5
Filter 2: PK               Fc 2300 Hz   Gain  2.5 dB    Q  1.80 / BW 0.8
Filter 3: PK               Fc 3400 Hz   Gain -2.0 dB   Q  2.90 / BW 0.5
Filter 4: PK               Fc 6500 Hz   Gain  4.0 dB    Q  1.20 / BW 1.2
Filter 5: PK              Fc 10500 Hz   Gain -5.0 dB   Q  3.60 / BW 0.4
Filter 6: PK               Fc 8000 Hz   Gain  0.0 dB    Q  0.50 / BW 2.5

if you think this is too burdensome, go strait to oppo pm-3, which is I think more forgivable and also more
enjoyable than aurvana live because of more tight bass. aurvana live is more hifi than you might have thought. 

You should quote posts so there is no confusion as to who and what you are replying to.

(I'm assuming you are replying to dakanao.)

Eh? Unbelievably linear?

I've shared this image so many times it's probably becoming annoying for some people. The FSP does not even have enough mids and treble to meet the Harman curve (black line), much less the flat speaker curve (green line). I owned two FSPs. Both of them sounded a little too dark, which corresponds precisely to the measurements. It may be more linear than many or even most headphones, but there are probably dozens of headphones that are more linear.

I'm curious how you arrived at those equalizer settings, though. I have no clue how to properly boost frequencies, since you are generally supposed to reduce frequencies when doing proper EQ. I tried boosting the frequencies to correspond with the curves once, and the FSP sounded horrible that way. Since Sonarworks is working on a calibration profile for the FSP, FSP owners should be able to report the changes it brings. I'm interested in seeing how they approach this dilemma.

Jun 7, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #1,494 of 1,765

thanks for reply, MA!
but for your information, you confuse the deviation from some target responses from
the linearity which is about having less deeps and peaks, deviations and linearity(and harmonic distortion), both are very important
when it comes to evaluate the headphones or speakers for that matters(but it's different subject and I leave it at that).
as you can see, focal is very linear, it has not many deeps and peaks compared to most other closed headphones,
(if you thinks not, please spend some more time in measurement site.)
when it has, it is very prominent so not so difficult tweak comparing to other closed phones. 
 I know you compare focal to stax sf-009, well, I hope you are not serious, or we have to start talking about open headphones vs closed headphones, dynamic vs electrostatics, and (my god!) 5000 dollars(without amps) vs 350 dollars, and studio engineers who are really working there vs hobbyists who think who doesn't use 5000 dollars headphones is a dumb engineer.
and about 'boosting' fr, well, it depends on the basic character of the headphones we are taking about(especially harmonies distortion), and decibels we want to 'boost'. I don't thinks the tweak that  I recommend over'boost' beyond the limit of the phones' ability.
and boost is not very hard if you know the phones very well. I can see your beloved target response is very dangerously close to oliver-welti target. and if you had read their papers carefully, you would already know that they have used hd518 for their experimenting in finding out the 'right' target with all the 'boost',
so I don't think boost itself is a problem, the problem is how carefully do you try to find out the right balance.
thanks for reading my rather long post (with terrible English, of course), MA. 

Jun 7, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #1,495 of 1,765
  thanks for reply, MA!
but for your information, you confuse the deviation from some target responses from
the linearity which is about having less deeps and peaks, deviations and linearity(and harmonic distortion), both are very important
when it comes to evaluate the headphones or speakers for that matters(but it's different subject and I leave it at that).
as you can see, focal is very linear, it has not many deeps and peaks compared to most other closed headphones,
(if you thinks not, please spend some more time in measurement site.)
when it has, it is very prominent so not so difficult tweak comparing to other closed phones. 
 I know you compare focal to stax sf-009, well, I hope you are not serious, or we have to start talking about open headphones vs closed headphones, dynamic vs electrostatics, and (my god!) 5000 dollars(without amps) vs 350 dollars, and studio engineers who are really working there vs hobbyists who think who doesn't use 5000 dollars headphones is a dumb engineer.
and about 'boosting' fr, well, it depends on the basic character of the headphones we are taking about(especially harmonies distortion), and decibels we want to 'boost'. I don't thinks the tweak that  I recommend over'boost' beyond the limit of the phones' ability.
and boost is not very hard if you know the phones very well. I can see your beloved target response is very dangerously close to oliver-welti target. and if you had read their papers carefully, you would already know that they have used hd518 for their experimenting in finding out the 'right' target with all the 'boost',
so I don't think boost itself is a problem, the problem is how carefully do you try to find out the right balance.
thanks for reading my rather long post (with terrible English, of course), MA. 

Yeah, its measurements are better than many other headphones out there. I just don't know how to fix that huge dip and the rest of the recessed frequencies without making it sound bad due to the fact that I'm not very knowledgeable about the intricacies of equalization.

Jun 10, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #1,496 of 1,765
I find the Focal Spirit Professional to be better for watching non-music youtube videos than the Creative Aurvana Live, because their sound is very upfront, and lets you hear more in the video than the CAL.

But the Creative Aurvana Live is more enjoyable for music listening (imo ofcourse) because they sound clearer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back