Focal Spirit One Headphones
Jun 19, 2013 at 9:16 AM Post #228 of 323
Finally got a 3.5mm cable that fits into the socket thanks to a hint in this thread. Thanks again! Works fine despite looking like it'd be a pretty tight fit! The 1.2 m (3.9ft) length is pretty ideal for mobile use too. I don't believe in audible differences between cables, but this takes a thing that's useless out of the equation whenever I'm not plugging the thing directly to an iPhone/iPad.

Jun 27, 2013 at 6:27 AM Post #229 of 323
I recently purchased Focal Spirit One recently and they really sounds amazing specially if you listening to jazz, easy listening, and some alternative pop music. But upon listening to them for a week, i realized when i listen to Hip-hop and R&B  they really lack of bass.

How could i enhance the maximum bass potential of these headphone?

P.S. Im using the headphone for Iphone4.

Please shed some light. Thank you in advance.

Jun 27, 2013 at 6:41 AM Post #230 of 323
Quote:
I recently purchased Focal Spirit One recently and they really sounds amazing specially if you listening to jazz, easy listening, and some alternative pop music. But upon listening to them for a week, i realized when i listen to Hip-hop and R&B  they really lack of bass.

You must be coming from much bassier headphoens because as far as better headphones go, Focal Spirit Ones are bassy. It doesn't have that wam mid-bass hump, but the sound *does* go really deep and low when needed. With the bass response being very fast and tight it can kinda take some power away from the sort of oomph you might want though.

Either way, there are plenty of apps for iPhone 4 that allow you to use an equalizer for sound if you want more. Failing those, you might look for a cheapish headphone amp that has a bass boost. Spirit Ones are really easy to use with a mobile headphone amp, thanks to their impedance being pretty flat 32 Ohms across the spectrum. Failing both of those options, I've heard that Denons for example have a bit more loose bass.

Jun 27, 2013 at 7:02 AM Post #231 of 323
Quote:

P.S. Im using the headphone for Iphone4.

Please shed some light. Thank you in advance.

Hi!

the easiest and maybe cheapest way is to use something like the Rocky:

http://fiio.com.cn/products/index.aspx?ID=100000011375372&MenuID=105026001

Not only does it fit your iPhone perfectly as it's made out of brushed aluminium but it has a great sound for its price and now the drum roll:
It has a bass boost switch. And a really good one that doesn't make anything muddy or bloated, just a bit more bass, tight and crispy. 

I use it on the go and in the gym and it really is a great little device. I tested it with the Focal Ones and it works great. you can't go wrong with this little device.

Of course you could go higher in the Fiio portable amp range as well....

Cheers,
K

Jun 27, 2013 at 8:55 AM Post #232 of 323
Quote:

You must be coming from much bassier headphoens because as far as better headphones go, Focal Spirit Ones are bassy. It doesn't have that wam mid-bass hump, but the sound *does* go really deep and low when needed. With the bass response being very fast and tight it can kinda take some power away from the sort of oomph you might want though.

Either way, there are plenty of apps for iPhone 4 that allow you to use an equalizer for sound if you want more. Failing those, you might look for a cheapish headphone amp that has a bass boost. Spirit Ones are really easy to use with a mobile headphone amp, thanks to their impedance being pretty flat 32 Ohms across the spectrum. Failing both of those options, I've heard that Denons for example have a bit more loose bass.

Thats true, im came off in Beats by Dre solo maybe thats why im craving for a bit louder bass. 

Thank you so much for the 3-point advice its really helpful, but in relation to the 3rd advice you mentioned, what do you mean by Denons?  you mean the denon headphone or the amp?

Quote:

Hi!

the easiest and maybe cheapest way is to use something like the Rocky:

http://fiio.com.cn/products/index.aspx?ID=100000011375372&MenuID=105026001

Not only does it fit your iPhone perfectly as it's made out of brushed aluminium but it has a great sound for its price and now the drum roll:
It has a bass boost switch. And a really good one that doesn't make anything muddy or bloated, just a bit more bass, tight and crispy. 

I use it on the go and in the gym and it really is a great little device. I tested it with the Focal Ones and it works great. you can't go wrong with this little device.

Of course you could go higher in the Fiio portable amp range as well....

Cheers,
K

Thanks Koolpep, nice idea ill take that into consideration. In connection to the higher Fiio portable amps and and if i take 1 step further which one would should be the most suitable match to maximise the low frequencies ? is it the e11, e17..or e12?

Jun 27, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #234 of 323
Quote:
Thats true, im came off in Beats by Dre solo maybe thats why im craving for a bit louder bass. 

Thank you so much for the 3-point advice its really helpful, but in relation to the 3rd advice you mentioned, what do you mean by Denons?  you mean the denon headphone or the amp?

Quote:
Thanks Koolpep, nice idea ill take that into consideration. In connection to the higher Fiio portable amps and and if i take 1 step further which one would should be the most suitable match to maximise the low frequencies ? is it the e11, e17..or e12?

As an pure amp I would rate them like this:
E12 > E17 and E11 

The E17 has the most granular settings through the display, you can set the bass and the high frequencies lossless and boost them to your liking. It also works as a DAC should you want to run the Focal Ones out of your PC/Mac via USB or optical cable. As you have an iPhone, you might also have a Macbook Pro, they all have optical out coming out of the headphone jack. That is the cleanest connection to the DAC of the E17.

However, I am not sure how portable that really is. With an amp you will usually already feel more definition and a tighter/better bass without boosting it. With the boost, it's well, nicely boosted. I use it only for a few songs usually but I am not using Focal ones :wink:

So the E17 is more versatile if you ever want to use your Focals with a computer as source. If that's not the case, I would go with the E12. But I warn you, the Focals don't actually need so much power, it's not bad either, but the Rocky is enough to put up the volume a notch and give you bass boost (though only on/off not different levels like the E12/E11 or +/- 10 like the E17).

Cheers,
K

EDIT: Just checked, the E12 also has only 1 level of bass boost. Not that this makes a huge difference but who knows. I have the E07K when I am travelling and must say I like the granularity.

Jun 27, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #236 of 323
Quote:
How about just listening for a week or so and then decide if it needs amping?

Please, please do this. 

The Focals already have too much bass, you don't need more, you're just used to those awful Beats. The Solos have awful midbass boost and no treble, totally muffled sound. And you don't need an amp for the Focals, come on guys, stop pushing extra cr*p to people.

Jun 27, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #237 of 323
@ trunks159, poleepkwa and wildstar - thanks for the practical advice maybe im just used to my other headphones. i think i really need to have more intimate time with my focals. :)

P.S: since ive purchased the FS1, i put monster inspirations, beats solo and sol republic into rest.....focals are amazing!! so addictive to listen!

Jun 30, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #239 of 323
They're not as widespread as some others are. I'd say it's more of a marketing thing or lack thereof. At around 199 € they're very competitive IMO. The sound signature might be a bit dark and not "fun" enough for some though. I personally use these for EDM over all the other headphones that I have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back