Focal Presents the Dune Finish for Bathys
Sep 15, 2023 at 2:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

FocalOfficial

Sponsor: Focal
┬®Sylvie_Bessou-FOCAL-072043.jpg

Travel with High-Fidelity

The Must-Have Wireless Hi-Fi Headphones with Active Noise Cancellation

September 15, 2023 - Since their unveiling in October 2022, the Bathys headphones from Focal have continued to grow in popularity among customers and the international press alike. Never a brand to rest on its laurels, this leading light in the French sound sector is now enhancing its first Bluetooth® noise cancelling headphones, with the launch of its new Dune finish as well as introducing an extra feature allowing users to adapt Bathys sound to their hearing.

BATHYS DUNE: STEP INTO THE LIGHT

Focal has designed a luminous finish to join the Bathys collection, in contrast with the existing Black Silver finish and catering to its customers’ differing tastes. Applied to the headphones in their entirety, the carrying case and the cables, the Dune finish is inspired by quarry minerals, Greek landscapes and desert sands – in short, delicate spaces flooded with light. It combines a beige color with silver details (grilles, rings, etc.) for an elegant, mellow and harmonious finish. The neutral beige shade is easy to pair with any color of outfit. Replicating the approach taken in the Black Silver version, Bathys Dune combines refined materials (magnesium on the yokes, genuine leather on the headband, etc.), delivers impressive comfort and features an optional backlit flame in the center of the earcups.

NEW: HEADPHONES SOUND THAT ADAPTS TO THE USER'S HEARING

In its quest to offer its customers the very best, the Focal teams have incorporated a new feature into the headphones: the Mimi hearing test. Available via the Focal & Naim app, this allows users to configure the sound delivered by Bathys according to their hearing, thereby allowing them to enjoy the Focal sound regardless of their test results. In other words: Bathys adapts to everyone’s hearing. Those with the Black Silver version now also have access to this test, by simply updating the Focal & Naim app.

PURE HIGH-FIDELITY SOUND & FEATURES

Behind the Dune and Black Silver finishes lie the same performance and features: outstanding sound for a pair of wireless headphones. Benefiting from Focal’s expertise in sound and high-end headphone production, Bathys delivers pure Hi-Fi sound, via a Bluetooth® 5.1 multi-point or wired connection thanks to the integrated USB-DAC mode and its resolution reaching 24bits/192kHz. Made in France, the speaker drivers comprise an aluminum/magnesium dome for deep bass, mellow treble and crystal-clear vocals. This Hi-Fi sound is enhanced by perfect soundproofing: the noise-cancelling technology includes an optimized ‘Silent’ mode for journeys in noisy environments (planes, trains, etc.) and a ‘Soft’ mode to help users concentrate at home. There is no shortage of other features, either: voice assistants, adjustable EQ, connectivity (Bluetooth®, Jack, USB), 30-hour battery life (5 extra hours available in 15 minutes thanks to its fast-charging function), and much more.

Focal Bathys in Dune now available for $699 at headphones.com:

https://headphones.com/products/focal-bathys-headphones?variant=40188558868551

For more information visit: https://www.focal.com/en/bathys.

Focal Stay updated on Focal at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.focal.com/us/
Sep 15, 2023 at 5:35 PM Post #3 of 35
Does it attract models when you're wandering in mountain areas or do you need to already have the model beforehand?
I wander around in a flat area and I have found no models yet..

Sep 16, 2023 at 3:00 AM Post #5 of 35
What about LDAC?

Sep 16, 2023 at 12:06 PM Post #6 of 35
I’ve had my eye on a pair of Focal Bathys for a while, but ended up buying the Sennheiser Momentum 4 for travel use after seeing some excellent reviews.

With the new Dune color variant, I can’t resist any longer - I’ve just ordered a pair of Bathys Dune 🙈

Sep 16, 2023 at 3:14 PM Post #7 of 35
Men just love putting things they geek about onto women. Headphones, guns, etc. Things women don't even come close to irl.
How about putting the phones on a bolding dude with facial hair, you know, your target audience.

Sep 16, 2023 at 3:37 PM Post #8 of 35
Men just love putting things they geek about onto women. Headphones, guns, etc. Things women don't even come close to irl.
How about putting the phones on a bolding dude with facial hair, you know, your target audience.
🤣

Sep 17, 2023 at 4:00 AM Post #9 of 35
This way they actually build the market and make a cultural change. It's a way to make headphones more and more socially acceptable. That's how our minds work, unconsciously, as social animals.

Sep 17, 2023 at 7:53 AM Post #10 of 35
Too much marketing BS.

Sep 17, 2023 at 8:10 AM Post #11 of 35
I've been quietly impressed with the sound quality and versatility of the Bathys. It reminds me of the CFA Andromeda 2020 in tuning. Pleasantly detailed for the price point and relatively neutral ; although unlike the CFA Andromeda there is the presence of dynamic driver bass. I can see how mass market consumers used to a warmer tuning may be disappointed. And it doesn't have the versatility of the Apple H2 chips.

They are a significant step up from my Boss QC35 (as they should be) in sound quality, if not ANC.

Comfort isn't quite as good though. Cups a little small and tighter/more noticeable.

However, for a "plug in whilst working on the laptop" headphone I've found myself reaching for the Bathys out of convenience over my others.

Does anyone have any feedback on this new 'tuning' feature? A fancy customised EQ isn't really my thing. I haven't gotten around to updating my headphone yet.

Sep 17, 2023 at 8:19 AM Post #12 of 35
I've been quietly impressed with the sound quality and versatility of the Bathys. It reminds me of the CFA Andromeda 2020 in tuning. Pleasantly detailed for the price point and relatively neutral ; although unlike the CFA Andromeda there is the presence of dynamic driver bass. I can see how mass market consumers used to a warmer tuning may be disappointed. And it doesn't have the versatility of the Apple H2 chips.

They are a significant step up from my Boss QC35 (as they should be) in sound quality, if not ANC.

Comfort isn't quite as good though. Cups a little small and tighter/more noticeable.

However, for a "plug in whilst working on the laptop" headphone I've found myself reaching for the Bathys out of convenience over my others.

Does anyone have any feedback on this new 'tuning' feature? A fancy customised EQ isn't really my thing. I haven't gotten around to updating my headphone yet.
We all have different abilities with our gearing, whether it be issues with inability ro hear certain frequencies as well or something similar. It doesn't replace the eq in the app. imo It is a welcome supplement. For me, it brought back just a little detail someone the music may ha e been missing as I was hearing it. I personally love the addition. I was skeptical at first. Original setting is at 50% strength, and I have left it there. Go in a quiet area and try out the setup. You may find it a helpful tool...or uou may dislike it, but it's worth the 5 minutes to try it out

Sep 17, 2023 at 10:30 AM Post #13 of 35
Convinced. It looks to be well researched and implemented technology. The hearing test seemed rather robust. Though a “best of three” may be more accurate. I understand a balance needs to be made with accuracy vs pragmatics.

It correctly identified and compensated for (known) hearing changes for me. Whilst I’d like to see for sure if the correction is individual to left and right channel (as per the test) ; I noticed the improvement.

Impressed. Especially as I purchased my Bathys in the Australian distributor sale at a significant discount.

I would be interested if Naim took this technology to their headphone dac:amp

Sep 17, 2023 at 2:13 PM Post #14 of 35
Too much marketing BS.

for cheapo 40mm drivers more than likely manufactured in China for a buck and then assembled in France w/ pharaonic markup.

HPD-50N25PR00-32 is the $10 driver used in most +$1K Kennerton's, all manufacturers do it, why reinventing the wheel really.

When I heard $4K Utopia at my local store, seller was giggling when I asked where the $4K went:floatsmile:

Sep 17, 2023 at 2:33 PM Post #15 of 35
$599 is too much. Please reduce the price than make color changes to say it's 'Dune' lol I'm not paying $599 for Bathys. I'm still using the XM3. People saying these are a significant step up for a BT headphone. Please be realistic people, these are not.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back