Focal For Bentley Radiance Headphones
Oct 12, 2023 at 10:45 PM Post #1,368 of 1,465
IMG_3317.jpeg

This is the best sounding record I've heard on the Radiance. Clean vocals combined with great dynamics and tight bass. Doesn't hurt that there isn't a bad track from start to finish.

Oct 15, 2023 at 4:41 AM Post #1,369 of 1,465
Just got mine and it does not disappoint as my closed-back of choice! Best looking Focal set IMO, just hoping the earpads and headband holds up for a long time.
20231015_104339.jpg

Oct 15, 2023 at 5:15 AM Post #1,370 of 1,465
After a couple of weeks with the Radiance I've sent them back. Disappointing when compared to my Denons. Soundstage too narrow and a lot of leakage. I was hoping they would get somewhere near the Clear MG but fall well short. I was looking for another pair of closed backs to complement and sound different to the Denons so the Meze Liric will be up for audition soon.

Oct 15, 2023 at 6:32 AM Post #1,371 of 1,465
After a couple of weeks with the Radiance I've sent them back. Disappointing when compared to my Denons. Soundstage too narrow and a lot of leakage. I was hoping they would get somewhere near the Clear MG but fall well short. I was looking for another pair of closed backs to complement and sound different to the Denons so the Meze Liric will be up for audition soon.
If you dislike narrow stage, you should best avoid Focal and go for a Sennheiser HD800(s) edit: ZMF VC for closed back

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2023 at 6:33 AM Post #1,372 of 1,465
For soundstage and imaging I read Atrium Closed is best in closed back, for me the Radiance has good enough sound stage for a closed back, if I need bigger I turn to the HE1000 from Hifiman but its open back.

Oct 17, 2023 at 5:06 PM Post #1,375 of 1,465
Let us know what you think when you try them. So far the results are quite positive!
Ok got these in now. They're definitely better than the Dekoni pads I tried and the closest to the OG Radiance pads. With the Dekoni Stellia pads, they make the tuning more like the Stellia - mids brought forward, but without the Stellia's technicalities it doesn't quite work and ends up sounding a bit bland. In terms of these Aliexpress ones, they *nearly* preserve the sound of the OG pads which is pretty cool given the price. That said, the mids feel just a tad more pushed back - vocals a bit recessed and on some songs unengaging/too relaxed. So the OG pads are still the best, but these make for a decent back-up for sure.

Oct 18, 2023 at 2:32 AM Post #1,376 of 1,465
Been on my radar but getting an audition locally is almost impossible. I can easily get an audition with the Meze just 20 miles down the road and I do like a planar.
If you're ok with buying used you could buy a used Aeon Noire here on Headfi, and then sell it without loss in case you don't like it, they pop up from time to time. The tuning filters let you tame the treble peak to your liking. 2 Closed in red with Noire Perforated pads is the same, just a different color.:)

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2023 at 12:04 PM Post #1,377 of 1,465
If you're ok with buying used you could buy a used Aeon Noire here on Headfi, and then sell it without loss in case you don't like it, they pop up from time to time. The tuning filters let you tame the treble peak to your liking. 2 Closed in red with Noire Perforated pads is the same, just a different color.:)
I have thought about the Noire and I think I can get one on loan from a London based company. A third party has an association with the company but I'll probably wait until I've got a chance to audition the Meze.

Oct 20, 2023 at 5:52 AM Post #1,378 of 1,465
Ok got these in now. They're definitely better than the Dekoni pads I tried and the closest to the OG Radiance pads. With the Dekoni Stellia pads, they make the tuning more like the Stellia - mids brought forward, but without the Stellia's technicalities it doesn't quite work and ends up sounding a bit bland. In terms of these Aliexpress ones, they *nearly* preserve the sound of the OG pads which is pretty cool given the price. That said, the mids feel just a tad more pushed back - vocals a bit recessed and on some songs unengaging/too relaxed. So the OG pads are still the best, but these make for a decent back-up for sure.
Update: the Aliexpress pads have grown on me. I very much second arielext's recommendation - these are a fantastic buy for the price. Sound-wise, the Radiance tuning is largely preserved with a few cool tweaks: treble ever so slightly reduced and the treble now has a less metallic flavour to it, and soundstage has definitely increased - things sound a bit less V-shaped and more relaxed and expansive overall.

Oct 20, 2023 at 10:39 AM Post #1,379 of 1,465
Update: the Aliexpress pads have grown on me. I very much second arielext's recommendation - these are a fantastic buy for the price. Sound-wise, the Radiance tuning is largely preserved with a few cool tweaks: treble ever so slightly reduced and the treble now has a less metallic flavour to it, and soundstage has definitely increased - things sound a bit less V-shaped and more relaxed and expansive overall.
I like the idea of a bigger soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back