Focal For Bentley Radiance Headphones
Sep 20, 2023 at 4:59 AM Post #1,351 of 1,465
Which pad replacements are people digging for these lately? Dekoni hybrids or the Dekoni Stellia pads perhaps?

Sep 20, 2023 at 7:23 AM Post #1,352 of 1,465
Speaking of which, does anyone have a recommendation for a headband cover for these?

Sep 21, 2023 at 7:42 PM Post #1,354 of 1,465
Try with a Cayin RU6, my best pairing so far no fatigue at all, in RU6 OS mode is on, 4.4mm bal out with Laptop or PC USB as source, I feel the dynamics take a hit with smartphones and tablets.
This pairing is incredible - bit obsessed with it. Although I prefer NOS to OS mode personally.

Sep 22, 2023 at 11:33 AM Post #1,356 of 1,465
Bit of a non sequitur to the main conversation going on here, but if anyone feels like checking it out, I think I may have stumbled onto a very close approximation of the target curve that Focal used for the acoustic design of the Radiance. Here, I've used AutoEQ to align the Radiance's frequency response (black) with a Gras 45 HATS diffuse field tilted at -1.5 dB/8ve (blue).
1695395513057.png

It looks like they may have measured and generated their own diffuse field target curve, and then added the mid bass bump, along with a bit of shaping to match a speaker target curve.

In any case, I've spent the past few days fiddling with the EQ based on this alignment, like limiting too much boosting in the treble, and adding some adjustments on top of this with a 10 band EQ to give it a bit more of an in-room speaker shape. I know Harman is a popular standard tuning, but I've found that with this tuning, the soundstage becomes much more holographic, timbre is significantly more realistic, detail improves, everything becomes more airy, and tonal balance is improved (but still not perfect). It seems like equalizing to match the acoustic design intent of a headphone is a force multiplier for sound quality. But who knows, everyone's hearing is different and you're just as likely to hate it as I love it, lol.

If anyone feels like checking it out, I've attached the file you can import into wavelet below. And I'm applying the following 10 band EQ settings

32 0
64 0
125 -0.5
250 -1.3
500 -0.5
1k -0.5
2k -0.5
4k -0.5
8k -0.9
16k -3.5

Attachments

• Focal Radiance Diffuse Field.txt
    1.3 KB · Views: 0
Oct 10, 2023 at 2:37 PM Post #1,359 of 1,465
First time trying out Dekoni pads - got a pair of the Elite Hybrid and Custom Stellia pads with me. With the Hybrids, the bass is significantly reduced - sort of sounds like the Elegia tonally...not what I signed up for. The Dekoni Stellia pads are a much better fit - not too far off the OG pads, but I'm sensing a more narrow soundstage...

Has anyone tried the custom ZMF pads?

Oct 10, 2023 at 2:53 PM Post #1,360 of 1,465
First time trying out Dekoni pads - got a pair of the Elite Hybrid and Custom Stellia pads with me. With the Hybrids, the bass is significantly reduced - sort of sounds like the Elegia tonally...not what I signed up for. The Dekoni Stellia pads are a much better fit - not too far off the OG pads, but I'm sensing a more narrow soundstage...

Has anyone tried the custom ZMF pads?
I've got a set of ZMF Focal Suede Solids but I haven't tried them yet. I can try them this week and leave my impressions.

Zach doesn't make Focal Lambskin Solids so the suedes are the only option he carries.

Oct 10, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #1,361 of 1,465
I've got a set of ZMF Focal Suede Solids but I haven't tried them yet. I can try them this week and leave my impressions.

Zach doesn't make Focal Lambskin Solids so the suedes are the only option he carries.
That would be great, thanks mate.

These Custom Stellia pads are quite nice actually. There's less of a V shaped response, slightly warmer sound overall and mids brought forward. With that, the soundstage can feel a bit reduced (probably not that far off the Celestee now) but I'm enjoying the richer midrange.

If anyone else has some good replacement pad suggestions, please shout!

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2023 at 5:41 PM Post #1,362 of 1,465
That would be great, thanks mate.

These Custom Stellia pads are quite nice actually. There's less of a V shaped response, slightly warmer sound overall and mids brought forward. With that, the soundstage can feel a bit reduced (probably not that far off the Celestee now) but I'm enjoying the richer midrange.

If anyone else has some good replacement pad suggestions, please shout!
See https://www.head-fi.org/threads/focal-for-bentley-radiance-headphones.942341/page-80#post-17675885 for a suggestion by yours truly.

Oct 11, 2023 at 12:56 AM Post #1,365 of 1,465
are the ZMF suedes real suede or fake suede (that can be washed)? Thanks
Real suede. I’ve never seen any pads from any manufacturer that can be washed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back