Focal For Bentley Radiance Headphones
Aug 23, 2023 at 7:52 AM Post #1,261 of 1,465
With the current crazy low prices on the Focal range in Australia, I have finally pulled the trigger and ordered my first two decent sets of headphones.

Got the Bathys for work and outside and the Radiance for home.

For now, due to restraints of my financial means, I will only have the options to use these with the following devices: iPhone 14 Pro, Apple TV 4K and the new MacBook Air.

I think my next purchases will be the following in this order:

* Balanced Cable for the Radiance
* DAC/AMP
* Bluetooth receiver for the Radiance (to stream from Apple TV)
* Open Back Headphones (Arya Stealth, Focal Clear Mg)

Some questions:

1) are these additions to the setup necessary?
Will they be worth it and lead to a noticeable improvement of the audio quality/experience considering I will mainly use the devices listed above to stream Apple Music and watch content via the Apple TV?

2) What DAC should I consider? Is the Chord Mojo 2 overkill for my needs and could I get something that would serve my needs just as well for the fraction of the price? What would you get if you were in my shoes and want a solid setup without going overboard?

3) I keep seeing people urge others to upgrade the Radiance with a balanced cable. All the options I can see suggested are either WAY too expensive for me to even consider at this stage, or not available in Australia.
Does any of you know of a decent cable that’s worth investing in around the AUD $200 mark from an Aussie shop? Or is there no point changing the cable with this budget limitation?

4) Change the Earpads of the Radiance to Dakoni Hybrid (I assume the ones that are made for the Clear would fit?) or leave it be?

5) Anything I should consider or anything you notice I got completely wrong?

Thank you in advance for all your help.
These are my first baby steps into this world, so please be kind if anything I reasoned above is ridiculous or completely wrong.

Are you in Sydney? I just got my Radiance delivered today, I'm in Belmore.

If you're thinking of getting a DAC/Amp, the Mojo 2 is a fantastic choice. I bought one recently for $999 AUD, just before the recent price drop to $799. An incredible bargain, sigficantly better sounding than DAPs in it's price range and higher. You'd need to also get a cheap lightning OTG cable, both A2A and Minidisc have them (I prefer Minidisc to A2A). It will be a big jump from the headphone jack in your mac or the apple dongle in your phone. A cheaper option would be a better quality dongle, there are heaps of them. A dongle doesn't need to be charged itself but will draw battery from the phone or mac. The mojo needs to be charged.

Definitely don't buy a new headphone cable until you decide what source gear you'll be using so you make sure you get the correct termination (unless you go for a modular option like Hart Audio). It's hard to get cheap headphone cables locally. There's a place called Koala Cables but I've not tried them. I usually buy from Aliexpress or in the case of the Radiance, I bought a Hart Cable and ate the shipping. I already have a Hart Cable for my Clears, they are supremely great to use and you can get multiple interconnects and don't need to stress if you upgrade your source down the track and need a new connection.

Aug 23, 2023 at 9:29 PM Post #1,263 of 1,465
Already fed up with the stock cable after 1 day so I ordered a custom one Sky Audio last night.

Wish we could get the $450 deal in the US!

It's up there with one of the best deals I've seen, but also goes to show much markup these things have retail price. $2000aud to $700aud within a few years when they're highly regarded review wise.

Aug 23, 2023 at 10:17 PM Post #1,264 of 1,465
The abrupt purge of all the Focal stock makes me wonder if things between the manufacturer and distributor went sour and the low prices are a big F-U to Focal from A2A?

Definitely makes it less appealing for a new distributor to step in and sell these headphones anywhere near RRP in the near future.

Especially considering they totally destroyed the prices on all Focal/Naim products locally.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2023 at 10:26 PM Post #1,265 of 1,465
Are you in Sydney? I just got my Radiance delivered today, I'm in Belmore.

If you're thinking of getting a DAC/Amp, the Mojo 2 is a fantastic choice. I bought one recently for $999 AUD, just before the recent price drop to $799. An incredible bargain, sigficantly better sounding than DAPs in it's price range and higher. You'd need to also get a cheap lightning OTG cable, both A2A and Minidisc have them (I prefer Minidisc to A2A). It will be a big jump from the headphone jack in your mac or the apple dongle in your phone. A cheaper option would be a better quality dongle, there are heaps of them. A dongle doesn't need to be charged itself but will draw battery from the phone or mac. The mojo needs to be charged.

Definitely don't buy a new headphone cable until you decide what source gear you'll be using so you make sure you get the correct termination (unless you go for a modular option like Hart Audio). It's hard to get cheap headphone cables locally. There's a place called Koala Cables but I've not tried them. I usually buy from Aliexpress or in the case of the Radiance, I bought a Hart Cable and ate the shipping. I already have a Hart Cable for my Clears, they are supremely great to use and you can get multiple interconnects and don't need to stress if you upgrade your source down the track and need a new connection.
Thanks for the detailed response. Yes, I am in Sydney.

I don’t think I will consider the Mono 2 purely due to the price at this stage. Even at $799 it’s more than I want to spend right now, this early into this journey.

I am currently looking at the Qudelix 5G and the iFi GO blue as a DAC/Amp with included Bluetooth is what what fit my needs for now.

I don’t know how much I will really stuff around with EQ etc, so what appears like a simpler solution like the iFi GO blue seems like a better fit. I will spend some more time this weekend trying to really get my head around this.

Thank you for the cable info. That is great advice and I also already noticed that sourcing cables here in Australia isn’t as easy as it is in some other places.

Very tempted to grab the Clear MG’s from A2A too considering the price, but I think that’s just me being overly excited.

My head tells me I should hold off for a while and enjoy what I bought so far and look into open cans down the track when I have a better understanding what I actually really want and what would complement what I bought so far and fills the gaps best.

Aug 23, 2023 at 11:01 PM Post #1,266 of 1,465

I don’t think I will consider the Mono 2 purely due to the price at this stage. Even at $799 it’s more than I want to spend right now, this early into this journey.

I am currently looking at the Qudelix 5G and the iFi GO blue as a DAC/Amp with included Bluetooth is what what fit my needs for now.

I don’t know how much I will really stuff around with EQ etc, so what appears like a simpler solution like the iFi GO blue seems like a better fit. I will spend some more time this weekend trying to really get my head around this.

Thank you for the cable info. That is great advice and I also already noticed that sourcing cables here in Australia isn’t as easy as it is in some other places.

Very tempted to grab the Clear MG’s from A2A too considering the price, but I think that’s just me being overly excited.

My head tells me I should hold off for a while and enjoy what I bought so far and look into open cans down the track when I have a better understanding what I actually really want and what would complement what I bought so far and fills the gaps best.

That sounds sensible. People like the GO blue. But you may find you prefer just using the Bathys when you want BT, will be much simpler and BT is a comprise anyway so there won't be much advantage going Go Blue into the Radiance.

Aug 23, 2023 at 11:29 PM Post #1,267 of 1,465
That sounds sensible. People like the GO blue. But you may find you prefer just using the Bathys when you want BT, will be much simpler and BT is a comprise anyway so there won't be much advantage going Go Blue into the Radiance.
Maybe the FiiO KA1 will be all I need for the Radiance for now then?
I’ll have to get my head around it all when I got a couple of days off this weekend.
The Radiance are sitting at the local Post Office as of this morning. Hope to make it up there today before they shut.

Been giving the Bathys a fair bit of times for the last couple of days, so I will be interested to see how I feel about the Radiance and if my untrained ears can actually appreciate the difference.

Only gave the Bathys a quick try wired via the built in DAC on the MacBook last night after a long day.
I was probably too tired and my brain fried, but I didn’t notice a difference.
Will give it more attention when I have some peace and quiet and ain’t deadly tired.

Aug 23, 2023 at 11:31 PM Post #1,268 of 1,465

Radiance with my Cayin RU6 blows everything away for me including my Mojo 2, Violectric V550+Spring 3, this is an example why synergy not cost of equipment matters more, I can't say the same thing about the RU7 as I haven't tried it yet, see my previous post about this below.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/focal-for-bentley-radiance-headphones.942341/post-17687912

Aug 23, 2023 at 11:42 PM Post #1,269 of 1,465
Radiance with my Cayin RU6 blows everything away for me including my Mojo 2, Violectric V550+Spring 3, this is an example why synergy not cost of equipment matters more, I can't say the same thing about the RU7 as I haven't tried it yet, see my previous post about this below.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/focal-for-bentley-radiance-headphones.942341/post-17687912
See, that synergy is something I have been wondering about more and more as I read up on and discuss this gear.
With all the vast variables in each individual component of each setup it’s easy to imagine that synergy plays a huge role in the outcome.

I haven’t taken notice of the RU6 until now.
You say it blows everything else out of the water in combination with the Radiance.
Could you help me better understand how you came to this conclusion and provide some details?

Aug 24, 2023 at 12:09 AM Post #1,270 of 1,465
See, that synergy is something I have been wondering about more and more as I read up on and discuss this gear.
With all the vast variables in each individual component of each setup it’s easy to imagine that synergy plays a huge role in the outcome.

I haven’t taken notice of the RU6 until now.
You say it blows everything else out of the water in combination with the Radiance.
Could you help me better understand how you came to this conclusion and provide some details?
The highlight of this combo for me is realistic timbre, dynamic impact (when used with a PC or laptop), holographic sound with decent sound stage and hours of fatigue free listening, the other 2 sources i just said may be bit more detailed but the RU6 is more musical something I look forward to listen to again and again 🙂. I find the OS mode better than NOS with the Radiance.

I suggest you try it first if possible before pulling the trigger as finally musical enjoyment is a subjective thing.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2023 at 12:16 AM Post #1,271 of 1,465
The highlight of this combo for me is realistic timbre, dynamic impact (when used with a PC or laptop), holographic sound with decent sound stage and hours of fatigue free listening, the other 2 sources i just said may be bit more detailed but the RU6 is more musical something I look forward to listen to again and again 🙂. I find the OS mode better than NOS with the Radiance.

I suggest you try it first if possible before pulling the trigger as finally musical enjoyment is a subjective thing.
You lost me at OS/NOS mode.

This proves to me again I need to do a LOT more research and I have a LOT more learning to do before I commit to any further audio gear purchases.

Aug 24, 2023 at 12:29 AM Post #1,272 of 1,465
Maybe the FiiO KA1 will be all I need for the Radiance for now then?
I’ll have to get my head around it all when I got a couple of days off this weekend.
The Radiance are sitting at the local Post Office as of this morning. Hope to make it up there today before they shut.

Been giving the Bathys a fair bit of times for the last couple of days, so I will be interested to see how I feel about the Radiance and if my untrained ears can actually appreciate the difference.

Only gave the Bathys a quick try wired via the built in DAC on the MacBook last night after a long day.
I was probably too tired and my brain fried, but I didn’t notice a difference.
Will give it more attention when I have some peace and quiet and ain’t deadly tired.

Yeah something like that will be fine. You could spend a bit more and get something slightly nicer like the A&K dongle, sound will be marginal but will be better made. But IMO don't spend too much until you're sure that a dongel is the form factor you're after.

Aug 24, 2023 at 12:35 AM Post #1,273 of 1,465
You lost me at OS/NOS mode.

This proves to me again I need to do a LOT more research and I have a LOT more learning to do before I commit to any further audio gear purchases.
RU6 has a R2R DAC which is bit different from Delta Sigma chip DACs found in many portable devices, R2R DACs typically have Oversampling (OS) and Non Oversampling (NOS) modes, NOS is said to be unprocessed or minimally processed sound but its bit smoother sounding than OS mode, I prefer the OS mode with the Radiance.

One more thing I use a balanced cable (4.4mm) made by Audiophile Ninja with my Radiance.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2023 at 12:58 AM Post #1,275 of 1,465
Ok, I had a chance to collect the Radiance from the post office before I had to rush back to work.

Had only a moment spare to unpack it and have a quick look.

But wow. Absolutely blown away by the packaging, presentation and the look and the feel of these headphones.

I know looks are only far down the list of important things when it comes to headphones, but I can’t remember the last time I had that “wow” factor when I unpacked anything I bought.
Everything screams luxury!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back