Focal For Bentley Radiance Headphones
Aug 21, 2023 at 10:09 PM Post #1,231 of 1,465
With the current crazy low prices on the Focal range in Australia, I have finally pulled the trigger and ordered my first two decent sets of headphones.

Got the Bathys for work and outside and the Radiance for home.

For now, due to restraints of my financial means, I will only have the options to use these with the following devices: iPhone 14 Pro, Apple TV 4K and the new MacBook Air.

I think my next purchases will be the following in this order:

* Balanced Cable for the Radiance
* DAC/AMP
* Bluetooth receiver for the Radiance (to stream from Apple TV)
* Open Back Headphones (Arya Stealth, Focal Clear Mg)

Some questions:

1) are these additions to the setup necessary?
Will they be worth it and lead to a noticeable improvement of the audio quality/experience considering I will mainly use the devices listed above to stream Apple Music and watch content via the Apple TV?

2) What DAC should I consider? Is the Chord Mojo 2 overkill for my needs and could I get something that would serve my needs just as well for the fraction of the price? What would you get if you were in my shoes and want a solid setup without going overboard?

3) I keep seeing people urge others to upgrade the Radiance with a balanced cable. All the options I can see suggested are either WAY too expensive for me to even consider at this stage, or not available in Australia.
Does any of you know of a decent cable that’s worth investing in around the AUD $200 mark from an Aussie shop? Or is there no point changing the cable with this budget limitation?

4) Change the Earpads of the Radiance to Dakoni Hybrid (I assume the ones that are made for the Clear would fit?) or leave it be?

5) Anything I should consider or anything you notice I got completely wrong?

Thank you in advance for all your help.
These are my first baby steps into this world, so please be kind if anything I reasoned above is ridiculous or completely wrong.
I’d go DAC/amp before cable and use lossless files (Qobuz, Apple Music) for the biggest jump in quality.

I use the Mojo 2 and it’s definitely not overkill.

The stock Radiance pads are great. You won’t need to think about replacing the pads for about half a year depending on how heavy your usage is.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2023 at 11:41 PM Post #1,238 of 1,465

First impression is that the cable is rubbish. Too stiff and short even when I sit right next to my amp.
I went with Sky audio cables copper cable (4.4) which suits radiance well. Reasonable price and great quality.
1692675578651.jpeg

I have been using one for my LCD2C which is great. There is a dedicated thread for the cable, if you want to check.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sky-audio-cables.916261/

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2023 at 11:47 PM Post #1,239 of 1,465
Aug 22, 2023 at 12:04 AM Post #1,242 of 1,465
I’d go DAC/amp before cable and use lossless files (Qobuz, Apple Music) for the biggest jump in quality.

I use the Mojo 2 and it’s definitely not overkill.

The stock Radiance pads are great. You won’t need to think about replacing the pads for about half a year depending on how heavy your usage is.
Is it worth stretching the budget to the Mojo 2 from the get go, or will I be just as happy with something like the Fiio KA1 or KA3 to begin with considering the gear I will use it with for now?

Aug 22, 2023 at 12:07 AM Post #1,243 of 1,465
With the current crazy low prices on the Focal range in Australia, I have finally pulled the trigger and ordered my first two decent sets of headphones.

Got the Bathys for work and outside and the Radiance for home.

For now, due to restraints of my financial means, I will only have the options to use these with the following devices: iPhone 14 Pro, Apple TV 4K and the new MacBook Air.

I think my next purchases will be the following in this order:

* Balanced Cable for the Radiance
* DAC/AMP
* Bluetooth receiver for the Radiance (to stream from Apple TV)
* Open Back Headphones (Arya Stealth, Focal Clear Mg)

Some questions:

1) are these additions to the setup necessary?
Will they be worth it and lead to a noticeable improvement of the audio quality/experience considering I will mainly use the devices listed above to stream Apple Music and watch content via the Apple TV?

2) What DAC should I consider? Is the Chord Mojo 2 overkill for my needs and could I get something that would serve my needs just as well for the fraction of the price? What would you get if you were in my shoes and want a solid setup without going overboard?

3) I keep seeing people urge others to upgrade the Radiance with a balanced cable. All the options I can see suggested are either WAY too expensive for me to even consider at this stage, or not available in Australia.
Does any of you know of a decent cable that’s worth investing in around the AUD $200 mark from an Aussie shop? Or is there no point changing the cable with this budget limitation?

4) Change the Earpads of the Radiance to Dakoni Hybrid (I assume the ones that are made for the Clear would fit?) or leave it be?

5) Anything I should consider or anything you notice I got completely wrong?

Thank you in advance for all your help.
These are my first baby steps into this world, so please be kind if anything I reasoned above is ridiculous or completely wrong.
1. No they are not necessary for you to enjoy you music, we buy new stuff because we want to.
2. Radiance will run fine straight from a phone or computer jack, so a mojo would have no trouble running it. I would stick to something strictly for the desktop with a little more power(and cheaper) for future headphone investments, since Bathys has portability covered for you.
3. If you get something like a mojo then buying a balanced cable would go to waste since it only has single ended outputs. I "upgraded" to a balanced cable because I didn't like the stock cable and my amp has balanced outputs so why not.
4. Stock ear pads to me were the best in terms of SQ and comfort (tried dekoni elite fenestrated and dekoni stellia)
5. Let the Radiance settle in before making a decision on the clear MG. Despite being an open it still got that focal "house sound". I would wait until your new toy syndrome has settle down before deciding if you want to buy an other focal, try something else or stop altogether.

Aug 22, 2023 at 12:16 AM Post #1,244 of 1,465
1. No they are not necessary for you to enjoy you music, we buy new stuff because we want to.
2. Radiance will run fine straight from a phone or computer jack, so a mojo would have no trouble running it. I would stick to something strictly for the desktop with a little more power(and cheaper) for future headphone investments, since Bathys has portability covered for you.
3. If you get something like a mojo then buying a balanced cable would go to waste since it only has single ended outputs. I "upgraded" to a balanced cable because I didn't like the stock cable and my amp has balanced outputs so why not.
4. Stock ear pads to me were the best in terms of SQ and comfort (tried dekoni elite fenestrated and dekoni stellia)
5. Let the Radiance settle in before making a decision on the clear MG. Despite being an open it still got that focal "house sound". I would wait until your new toy syndrome has settle down before deciding if you want to buy an other focal, try something else or stop altogether.
Thank you.
That’s great info and helps me get my head around it all a bit clearer.

Really appreciate that you took time out of your day to respond in detail to my questions.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2023 at 1:40 AM Post #1,245 of 1,465
Been looking for a closed pair of headphones to complement my HD800 and this was a no brainer now that Focal are having a firesale for this here. $445usd is too hard to say no to when it started off at $1300.
I’ve reached out to them to see if they’ll ship internationally. Hopefully they can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back