Focal For Bentley Radiance Headphones
May 25, 2023 at 2:47 PM Post #1,126 of 1,465
I use Chord Mojo 2 to drive my Radiance with some crazy EQ settings:
Base. 20Hz + 3db.
Base. 125Hz + 5db.
Treble. 3KHz - 5db.
Treble. 20KHz +1db.

Outrageous settings. Should I leave the room now?

Jun 5, 2023 at 10:48 AM Post #1,128 of 1,465
Focal doesn’t make replacement pads for the Radiance. It’s a limited run headphone and with under 6000 units worldwide there’s not enough for them to make and stock pads.

I’ve reached out to my local Focal Rep and they’ve told me the exact same thing. As a consolation prize they sent me a free set of Utopia pads.

Unfortunately the Utopia pads are perforated and make the Radiance sound awful.

The only other pad that would possibly recommend is the Dekoni Stellia limited pad.

I’ve requested that Zach from ZMF make a solid leather pad so hopefully that might be an option in the future. I haven’t tried his solid suede pad but that might be an alternative as well.
So they'd just let the Radiance owners get worn pads overtime without being able to replace them? Typical Focal, and here I am planning to get one.

Hopefully we do get an alternative pad for the Radiance or Zach makes one that suits the Radiance or even improves the fr. For now I'm leaning heavily towards the Verite Closed, as I personally didn't like the Stellia. It was either the Radiance or VC for me.

Jun 5, 2023 at 11:14 AM Post #1,129 of 1,465
So they'd just let the Radiance owners get worn pads overtime without being able to replace them? Typical Focal, and here I am planning to get one.

Hopefully we do get an alternative pad for the Radiance or Zach makes one that suits the Radiance or even improves the fr. For now I'm leaning heavily towards the Verite Closed, as I personally didn't like the Stellia. It was either the Radiance or VC for me.
I contacted Focal here in France directly for 2 spare sets of Radiance pads and they told me I could order them via their distributors.
I contacted a few distributors and it seemed there was one pair in stock and the second pair would be on order and would take about 3 weeks until they got it.
I asked several times explicitly if it would be the Radiance pads and not other Focal pads. They confirmed that so I ordered them.
Now it's wait and see until I have them.

Jun 5, 2023 at 11:35 AM Post #1,130 of 1,465
I contacted Focal here in France directly for 2 spare sets of Radiance pads and they told me I could order them via their distributors.
I contacted a few distributors and it seemed there was one pair in stock and the second pair would be on order and would take about 3 weeks until they got it.
I asked several times explicitly if it would be the Radiance pads and not other Focal pads. They confirmed that so I ordered them.
Now it's wait and see until I have them.
I spoke directly with a Focal rep in Canada. My brother in law works for one of the largest Hi-Fi stores in North America so I got a direct contact.

The Focal rep said they don’t make replacement pads nor do they plan on making them. This was 6 months ago so unless something changed I wouldn’t expect to get Radiance pads. If you do please let me know who sold them to you as I’d buy a few sets myself.

Jun 5, 2023 at 11:48 AM Post #1,131 of 1,465

Don't get the Radiance, I got mine with different height pads, its 4 months now and still waiting for replacement pads from Focal, will not recommend this brand to anyone.

Jun 5, 2023 at 11:51 AM Post #1,132 of 1,465
I spoke directly with a Focal rep in Canada. My brother in law works for one of the largest Hi-Fi stores in North America so I got a direct contact.

The Focal rep said they don’t make replacement pads nor do they plan on making them. This was 6 months ago so unless something changed I wouldn’t expect to get Radiance pads. If you do please let me know who sold them to you as I’d buy a few sets myself.
Will, do, I'm waiting for them to come in, hopefully in a week or 2.
For now I can only tell you what they told me: they claim that the distributor had 1 pair in stock, they claim they could order a second pair and they confirmed me it would be the Radiance specific pads.
But I can only confirm that when I receive them. And t.b.h. I'm not sure I believe it which is why I asked them a few times if it would indeed be those pads.
Maybe it's different for NA than EU?

Jun 5, 2023 at 12:13 PM Post #1,133 of 1,465
The Focal rep said they don’t make replacement pads nor do they plan on making them.
I had similar correspondence with a Focal-Naim rep out of the US/Canada. What seems to be the re-occurring theme is that nobody ever actually has any pads for the Radiance "Now". It was suggested that the Clear-MG pads would work sonically. I did not order either...

Thank you for contacting Focal support.
I will be more than pleased to help you with your request!

We are currently out of RADIANCE pads. I may place a back order for you however you will have to expect A 3 month wait before the arrival of this stock.
We also have the CLEAR MG pads that will fit on the radiance without altering the sonic quality however the colour of these pads is brown.
Would you like for us to place an order for the original pads or for the brown pads
?

Jun 5, 2023 at 12:59 PM Post #1,134 of 1,465
With so many build quality issues Focal has and then next to non existent after sales service is inexcusable, to be fair Hifiman is also not known for their build quality but atleast their after sales service makes up for it. my brand new Radiance is lying unused because of the pad issue, my advice to Focal if you can't ensure supply of spare parts then don't sell the product in the first place.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2023 at 12:04 PM Post #1,135 of 1,465
chord mojo 2 with eq is amazing to drive Raddiance with.

howeverchord mojo 2 crossfeed feature make no difference on it with Radiance.

i use mostly optical out from tv to mojo 2 to focal radiance for movies.

Jun 9, 2023 at 12:08 PM Post #1,136 of 1,465
With so many build quality issues Focal has and then next to non existent after sales service is inexcusable, to be fair Hifiman is also not known for their build quality but atleast their after sales service makes up for it. my brand new Radiance is lying unused because of the pad issue, my advice to Focal if you can't ensure supply of spare parts then don't sell the product in the first place.
in uk service is excellent from focal. even available directly on phone

Jun 13, 2023 at 10:44 AM Post #1,137 of 1,465
If I may shamelessly self-promote here, I revisited the Radiance on my YT channel. I'll link here. I'm a big fan of the Radiance and think everyone should at least hear it:

Jun 13, 2023 at 1:07 PM Post #1,139 of 1,465

I just received confirmation from ZMF and they are sending me a "prototype" Focal Lambskin Solid for me to A/B compare against the stock Radiance Pad. Once I receive them I'll post a few photos and try to give my honest impressions of them.

For those looking to still buy a Radiance they are now on the last of the units available to purchase new. Headphones.com have an exclusivity to sell them similar to the deal that Focal gave them with the Clear OG. Once they are gone they'll be gone for good so now that they are discounted through to July it's the perfect time to purchase a unit.

Jun 13, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #1,140 of 1,465
I just received confirmation from ZMF and they are sending me a "prototype" Focal Lambskin Solid for me to A/B compare against the stock Radiance Pad. Once I receive them I'll post a few photos and try to give my honest impressions of them.

For those looking to still buy a Radiance they are now on the last of the units available to purchase new. Headphones.com have an exclusivity to sell them similar to the deal that Focal gave them with the Clear OG. Once they are gone they'll be gone for good so now that they are discounted through to July it's the perfect time to purchase a unit.
That is the price I paid ($990.00). Worth every penny!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back