Focal For Bentley Radiance Headphones
Dec 3, 2022 at 8:07 PM Post #932 of 1,465
Bought this headphones a bit more of a week ago by a half of a price(599 euros) in a store, here in Portugal.

I was interested to have a Focal headphones based in what I was seeing in the internet about the specific characteristics of their sound (dynamics, punchy bass,...) and their design.

Using this headphones since I bought them, I find the bass kinda neutral, or not punchy, comparing, for example, with my Sennheiser HD650. Seeing the frequency response, it supposed the bass section should be elevated and most reviews mentioned the punchiness of the bass, but I am not feeling it.

In some genres it is ok, but in genres that I use to listen like HipHop, Amapiano or Gqom, the sound signature of this headphones isn't what I expected based in what I saw and understood about the "Focal sound".

Am I the only one with this sensation? Could be a driver problem or some driver change by Focal? I dont know...
I felt similar, but when a song calls for the sub bass, it def punches. I did give it a bass shelf at 85 Hz +2.5 Q 0.7 and +2 at 105 Hz Q 1.2.

Dec 4, 2022 at 2:04 PM Post #933 of 1,465
YouTube: daft punk - lose yourself to dance

If the 1st 30 sec. feel the same between the 650 and radiance you better return the focals.

For testing I like more this kind of bass: , after min 1:40.

The bass is there, with detail which is great. But for that kind of bass that this song have, it will more satisfaying have more substance at the impact, more rumble. And I can have it just activating de Xbass in my iFi Zen Can Amp and works pretty well.

I tought that I would have more this kind of response without adding extra someting, but I can live with that.

Dec 8, 2022 at 3:58 PM Post #934 of 1,465
For any Canucks on here thinking about grabbing a set of Radiance headphones, there is a screaming deal on CAM. I do not know the seller, but holy crap! That is half of what I paid for an open box set!
Proceed with caution of course, but wow.

Dec 8, 2022 at 5:47 PM Post #935 of 1,465
Do you use a stand for your headphones? I'm thinking about buying one :) and I have this one https://www.thomannmusic.ch/intl/rooms_audio_line_typ_fs_s_headphone_stand.htm in my mind. I'm just asking myself if it's high enough for my Radiance (with the connectors still plugged in of course). The same brand also has another stand, the pro model, with the possibility to adjust the height but it's twice the price. I know it's quite expensive for what it is...

Dec 16, 2022 at 6:58 AM Post #939 of 1,465
imo the bass doesnt need eq, its perfect
My other cans are an Lcd2c with a bass shelf of around +4 db. I just love bass.
on a fence of getting celestee or radiance. Does anyone heard and can compare both please? The only iem I have is 64 audio u12t and i loved it, just need break from iems for the meantime. Thank you for the help in advance
I tried the Celestee at a focal distributor and I couldn’t wait to get them off my head, but it was mostly because the bass felt so hidden (sometimes absent)

Dec 16, 2022 at 2:08 PM Post #940 of 1,465
Hi, Can anyone confirm if their headphones are creaky. Also I've tried four different cables, the default, a custom one that came with the headphones and two other custom ones I bought and they all have terrible microphonics. Its fine when listening to music etc but if I pause the music to read or something the noise is very annoying when I move my head

Dec 16, 2022 at 4:13 PM Post #942 of 1,465
Thanks for getting back. I bought them off ebay. They are in very good condition but there is a creakiness and every cable I try with it has terrible microphonics when there is no sound playing. I think I'll check with Focal tomorrow to see what they say and see if the serial checks out

Dec 21, 2022 at 6:42 AM Post #943 of 1,465
I returned Mojo 2 as not so great with Radiance.

Maybe Radiance needs more kick and power for low end to come alive.

So now considering iFi instead with a 4.4 balanced Meze cable.

I would like to order the Forza cable with matching gold and black, but cannot work out what options on forza website.

Anyone help here who has ordered from Forza before? 1.2m is fine in length

Dec 21, 2022 at 2:57 PM Post #944 of 1,465
Dec 21, 2022 at 3:50 PM Post #945 of 1,465

Users who are viewing this thread

Back