Focal Elegia - what do you think?
Nov 21, 2023 at 6:19 PM Post #4,757 of 4,891
Hello everyone, I could get the Elegia new for 299 Euros. Would you say I should go for it?

I'm currently listening with my Beyerdynamic T90, which are probably going in a completely different direction compared to the Elegia.

Can you recommend the Elegia for singer-songwriter / live / acoustic music? Or what exactly are the strengths of the Focal Elegia?

The ibasso SR2 and Fostex TH610, which were recommended to me for singer-songwriter music, are still in the shortlist.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2023 at 6:49 PM Post #4,758 of 4,891
Everything is back to normal. Got my Elegias and Dekoni Pads back in my collection!!!!!

Attachments

• 20231122_184112.jpg
    20231122_184112.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231122_184240.jpg
    20231122_184240.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Nov 22, 2023 at 8:38 PM Post #4,759 of 4,891
Hello everyone, I could get the Elegia new for 299 Euros. Would you say I should go for it?

I'm currently listening with my Beyerdynamic T90, which are probably going in a completely different direction compared to the Elegia.

Can you recommend the Elegia for singer-songwriter / live / acoustic music? Or what exactly are the strengths of the Focal Elegia?

The ibasso SR2 and Fostex TH610, which were recommended to me for singer-songwriter music, are still in the shortlist.

Thank you!
I cannot compare with any that you have listed here, but I can say with 100% surety that the Elegia are worth the 299EU price tag any day of the week. :)

Nov 23, 2023 at 10:47 AM Post #4,762 of 4,891
I have Elegia and Clear. I would be very interested in experiences tuning the Elegi to improve the treble voice Slso have Radiance. Considering Celestee. Opinions solicited.
My Elegias with the Dekoni “Custom” Stellia pads are only second in my closed backs to the Audeze LCD-XC (for sound quality).

No.1 in comfort though.

Nov 23, 2023 at 2:01 PM Post #4,763 of 4,891
Have Clear OG, , Radiance, and non-Fical high end HP. Have not listened to Elegia since moving to a RME ADI-2DAC FS and now interested to see how it affects them. Just came off 1.5 months listening to Sundara, which I had thought good, but not great and with RME it was transformed!

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2023 at 4:08 PM Post #4,766 of 4,891

Thank you!
the tuning of the elegia does lend itself to acoustic recordings, with a spike in the upper mids that makes for good timbre. they also have very spacious and details imagery (especially for a closed back)

Nov 26, 2023 at 10:46 PM Post #4,767 of 4,891
I don't see any reason that it shouldn't work. I would be more concerned about if it works in the source you are plugging it into. But, since you are alluding to this cable as being Japanese make, I should think it would be fine. If it were of Chinese make I would be concerned whether it were CTIA or OMTP (CTIA being international standard, and OMTP being mainly Chinese standard; basically the ground ring is swapped). It won't actually hurt anything, one way or the other. It will just not play properly if it doesn't.

Having said that and if it is the proper protocol (wiring), you should be able to plug it in with no headphones at all, and be able to use the mic. Otherwise it is just a standard SE cable and should work just fine to supply sound to the headphones. :)
I finally got around to testing this. For whatever reason, something doesn't work...but there's a twist.

I have three pairs of over-ears that use 3.5mm on both sides as the channel inputs: the Hyland Audio Jupiter One, the Hifiman HE400SE and relevant to this thread, the Elegia. I've mixed and matched, and here's what I found.

Elegia: doesn't work at all. No noise is picked up at all.
Hyland: actually works, but the plugs do not sit flush. So either the L or R cuts in and out randomly. I may not have pushed hard enough, but this isn't the season for open-ear over-heads at the moment, so it's back in my drawers.
HE400SE: does not work at all.

Here's the twist: the mic works when not connected to any pair. So it's at least not defective. But now I'm curious as to what kind of circuitry the cable could have that blocks off other headphones (other than the Hyland). Or what kind of circuitry the Hyland can have that the other headphones don't have.

Or is this cable OMTP?

Dec 16, 2023 at 1:04 PM Post #4,768 of 4,891
Hi everyone, I'm selling the Elegia (with original pads and the Dekoni pads) to buy a Wiim Amp. I live in the EU (Belgium) and there is still >1,5 years of warranty on everything. It's all in pristine state, and I still have the original packaging.

If you're interested, send me a PM.

Dec 16, 2023 at 2:37 PM Post #4,769 of 4,891
Have Clear OG, , Radiance, and non-Fical high end HP. Have not listened to Elegia since moving to a RME ADI-2DAC FS and now interested to see how it affects them. Just came off 1.5 months listening to Sundara, which I had thought good, but not great and with RME it was transformed!
Problem seems the RME with his artificial boring sound - some call it detail.

Dec 16, 2023 at 6:43 PM Post #4,770 of 4,891
I have Elegia and Clear. I would be very interested in experiences tuning the Elegi to improve the treble voice Slso have Radiance. Considering Celestee. Opinions solicited.
Many folks, including myself, have had good luck using pads to tame some of the treble spikes and lift the bass. I'm currently using the Dekoni Fenestrated Sheepskin pads and like the slight increase in warmth (and comfort) that they add. I still EQ them, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back