Focal Elegia - what do you think?
Jan 13, 2024 at 1:27 PM Post #4,786 of 4,854
The "new" version of the Stelia limited, are now called the Custom Stelia skeepskin pads and are not fenestrated per se. They DO have a very small band in the inner ring that is a diffferent material than the sheepskin, but it isn't fenestration. Maybe getting technical here, but I thought I would share anyhow. They DO sell the fenestrated ones as well, which are different and allow more air, as well as velour ones like the stock ones. In all, and IIRC, there are 4 sets of pads that Dekoni sells for the Elegia.

The limited edition ones that they originally sold were so popular that they added them as a regular item and renamed them to "custom" rather than "limited", but they are the same pads otherwise... :)

Those are the ones I like on my Elegias.

Jan 13, 2024 at 1:35 PM Post #4,787 of 4,854
Those are the ones I like on my Elegias.
How much better are the various ones
I had found some German review or something before
Didn't conclude exactly how much better

I might keep my Elegia but sell Ananda
Lcd-xc so comfy but tuning and detail.. Was in a bit odd way, and the price I got a deal but still not worth it right now to keep them . But I did get aluminum case gotta sell.
Hd800s I might sell the copilot pad
Overall I go back to the Elegia and not as bad as I thought

For recording, Elegia is not as great as lcd-xc for sure
But better than earphones

The Earpads on Monolith AMT are kinda close to lcd-xc , in terms of size
I'm just trying to get a reply on that thread to figure if the tuning on these is broken in, or if another pair I had was just bad
How much time to tell for sure (really if anyone can suggest a thread, I could ask in Audio Science or something)

I could consider Vesper for custom Earpads
If it's comparison to ZMF or Audeze
One main benefit is the Elegia doesn't fall off my head

Jan 13, 2024 at 7:54 PM Post #4,788 of 4,854
Wanted to comment regarding my experience with Elegia. Per recommendations in this thread, I changed the stock pads to Dekoni Customs and later added EQ settings by @maiky76 from ASR. I am blown away by how amazing Elegia has become with EQ. The imaging and soundstage has opened tremendously.

Jan 13, 2024 at 8:01 PM Post #4,789 of 4,854
Wanted to comment regarding my experience with Elegia. Per recommendations in this thread, I changed the stock pads to Dekoni Customs and later added EQ settings by @maiky76 from ASR. I am blown away by how amazing Elegia has become with EQ. The imaging and soundstage has opened tremendously.
Where's the EQ setting? Only one post from that user.. Back on 2009?
ohh AudioScienceReview
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...losed-back-headphone.27977/page-2#post-968754

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2024 at 8:02 PM Post #4,790 of 4,854
How much better are the various ones
I had found some German review or something before
Didn't conclude exactly how much better
I have both the Dekoni Fenestrated Sheepskin pads and the Custom Series (Stellia) pads that I use with my Elegia. Both are much better than the stock pads--which I find both uncomfortable and lifeless sounding. The Fenestrated pads are incredibly comfortable and bring out the inherent "slam" of the Elegia, and the Custom Series pads smooth out the peaky treble and flesh out the bass. With the Fenestrated pads, I EQ across the whole frequency range, but with the Custom Series pads I only use some very minor EQ <500Hz.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2024 at 8:23 PM Post #4,791 of 4,854
Jan 20, 2024 at 7:21 PM Post #4,792 of 4,854
Yes, those are the settings I was referring to.

I have tried multiple EQ parameters for my other headphones and have never preferred them. Adding @maiky76 EQ literally felt like an epiphany.
I find those settings unnecessarily aggressive, especially in the upper treble (where measurements can change dramatically depending on very minor changes to fit/seal, especially on a closed back). Narrow Q values that far up are unpredictable in terms of real-world response. Seeing Q values of 5 and 6 that high up is not good IMO. The laid back treble region on the Elegia is the reason I have generally stayed away from EQ-ing too high with these.

But I've been experimenting over the past few days with some new EQ settings using REW. The funky thing about these headphones is that the midrange and treble aren't very different from one another, so choosing an SPL baseline to EQ from isn't straightforward. But I have managed to get a very good (predicted) response curve with just 6 filters and no Q value greater than ~2. I don't have measurement gear to check if the response is as good as the predicted curve looks, but they're sounding better than ever. When it comes to EQ, less is almost always more--especially in those pesky treble regions.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2024 at 7:14 PM Post #4,793 of 4,854
I find those settings unnecessarily aggressive, especially in the upper treble (where measurements can change dramatically depending on very minor changes to fit/seal, especially on a closed back). Narrow Q values that far up are unpredictable in terms of real-world response. Seeing Q values of 5 and 6 that high up is not good IMO. The laid back treble region on the Elegia is the reason I have generally stayed away from EQ-ing too high with these.

But I've been experimenting over the past few days with some new EQ settings using REW. The funky thing about these headphones is that the midrange and treble aren't very different from one another, so choosing an SPL baseline to EQ from isn't straightforward. But I have managed to get a very good (predicted) response curve with just 6 filters and no Q value greater than ~2. I don't have measurement gear to check if the response is as good as the predicted curve looks, but they're sounding better than ever. When it comes to EQ, less is almost always more--especially in those pesky treble regions.
Thank you, do you mind sharing your EQ settings?

Jan 23, 2024 at 12:29 AM Post #4,794 of 4,854
Thank you, do you mind sharing your EQ settings?
Sure thing.

I EQ relatively gently, so it won't sound out of balance if you only EQ the low end (the first three). And I generally don't like to bump the treble up this high, but the Elegia is a bit recessed in the treble. This is another reason why I think it's important to keep the Q values low here. And because the Q's are pretty low, you can also easily adjust any of the boost/cut amounts to taste.

Screenshot 2024-01-22 at 11.21.11 PM.png

And here's my REW file showing the measurement curve (Blue), the Harman target curve (White), and the predicted curve after the EQ filters have been applied (Red). To avoid chasing peaks and valleys in the treble (a fool's errand IMO), I use REW's "Variable" smoothing curve which uses different levels of detail at different regions of the curve. IIRC the variable smoothing option was designed for loudspeakers, but headphones surprisingly share many of the same problem areas for EQ.
Screenshot 2024-01-22 at 10.17.57 PM.png

*NB: I don't have my own measurement gear, so I'm relying on oratory1990's Elegia measurement (the Blue line). There are so many caveats to using measurements for EQ (even if they were my own) that I won't enumerate them all here. Suffice it to say, this is a big reason why I don't go chasing peaks/valleys in the treble region. And I don't force strict adherence to the target curve (I use +/-3dB as a guideline for hitting the target). I'm of course always tweaking my EQ methods, always trying to squeeze out the last drop of "better" sound.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-22 at 10.15.40 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-22 at 10.15.40 PM.png
    13.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2024-01-22 at 10.16.00 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-22 at 10.16.00 PM.png
    13.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 23, 2024 at 5:30 AM Post #4,795 of 4,854
I'm starting to get into EQ now at a basic level...

I paired the Elegía with my mojo 2 using the stock pads and the Dekoni stellia pads.

In either case the Elegia benefits from a bump in the upper mids.

I also bump the bass and sub-bass, more so with the stock pads than the stellia. EQ with stock pads can bring the benefits of the stellia pads whilst retaining the bigger stage that the stock pads offer.

Jan 23, 2024 at 8:31 AM Post #4,796 of 4,854
I'm starting to get into EQ now at a basic level...

I paired the Elegía with my mojo 2 using the stock pads and the Dekoni stellia pads.

In either case the Elegia benefits from a bump in the upper mids.

I also bump the bass and sub-bass, more so with the stock pads than the stellia. EQ with stock pads can bring the benefits of the stellia pads whilst retaining the bigger stage that the stock pads offer.
The more I learn about EQ, the more I recognize it as both a science and an art (esp. for recording and mastering engineers).

Your approach to EQ for Elegia on the Mojo2 resembles mine:
20Hz: +3dB
125Hz: 0dB
3kHz: +3dB
20kHz: -4dB

Feb 6, 2024 at 7:23 PM Post #4,797 of 4,854
Hello everyone, im currently waiting for my elegia righ now, been watching it for a while and decide to grab it from taobao for ~260 usd new. I do see alot of recommend for pad swaping but the dekoni seem pricy for me (99 usd), do anyone have experience with pads from aliexpress to be better than stock pad? (I see sheepskin pad there like ~20-25 usd. Thank you :)

Feb 6, 2024 at 8:56 PM Post #4,798 of 4,854
Hello everyone, im currently waiting for my elegia righ now, been watching it for a while and decide to grab it from taobao for ~260 usd new. I do see alot of recommend for pad swaping but the dekoni seem pricy for me (99 usd), do anyone have experience with pads from aliexpress to be better than stock pad? (I see sheepskin pad there like ~20-25 usd. Thank you :)
I haven't tried any aliexpress pads myself, but I would be suspicious of something calling itself "sheepskin" and being sold for $20-25. But at that price, wouldn't hurt to just try them and decide for yourself. No harm, no foul.

But all that said... I'd wait and listen to them for a while with the stock pads before deciding on aftermarket pads. You may decide you like them stock. Or you might find that EQ is enough on its own without the need for aftermarket pads. IMO the Dekoni pads are worth the price. Considering the incredible price the Elegia now sell for, the Dekoni pads are a no-brainer. I've used both the Fenestrated Sheepskin pads and the Custom Series (Stellia) pads and prefer the Custom Series ones (as do most other folks in these parts).

Feb 6, 2024 at 9:02 PM Post #4,799 of 4,854
I haven't tried any aliexpress pads myself, but I would be suspicious of something calling itself "sheepskin" and being sold for $20-25. But at that price, wouldn't hurt to just try them and decide for yourself. No harm, no foul.

But all that said... I'd wait and listen to them for a while with the stock pads before deciding on aftermarket pads. You may decide you like them stock. Or you might find that EQ is enough on its own without the need for aftermarket pads. IMO the Dekoni pads are worth the price. Considering the incredible price the Elegia now sell for, the Dekoni pads are a no-brainer. I've used both the Fenestrated Sheepskin pads and the Custom Series (Stellia) pads and prefer the Custom Series ones (as do most other folks in these parts).
Thanks, im like FOMO so maybe ill keep calm abit :D. Will try some EQ with my qudelix 5k then :)

Feb 7, 2024 at 3:57 PM Post #4,800 of 4,854
So I've finally bought the Custom Stellia pads - needed to import them from Germany, as they've not been available in my country for a while now (I paid 115 EUR in total with shipping). I listen to lots of jazz and - much to my surprise - I need to EQ down the lower bass and upper treble (by at least 2db). Otherwise, it's a great upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back