Focal Elegia - what do you think?
Mar 16, 2024 at 12:07 PM Post #4,817 of 4,840
Elegia is superior.
I agree. Have both and the Clears. Elegia when found at current low prices is a super deal.
Bathys is still amazing though!

Mar 17, 2024 at 12:01 AM Post #4,818 of 4,840
I agree. Have both and the Clears. Elegia when found at current low prices is a super deal.
Since it's been discontinued, the only time I see it being sold new, it goes for the OG price (~$700-$800). Even current used prices are a bit high now (~$400). Best time to buy was a year or two ago, used or new.

Mar 17, 2024 at 12:10 AM Post #4,819 of 4,840
Since it's been discontinued, the only time I see it being sold new, it goes for the OG price (~$700-$800). Even current used prices are a bit high now (~$400). Best time to buy was a year or two ago, used or new.
Actually if you could reach for taobao, they are still really good price though (~257usd new). Luckily here in my country have some service to support buying from taobao with some fee (get the elegia with ~10usd fee) :)

Mar 17, 2024 at 12:31 AM Post #4,820 of 4,840
$700-800 is still not a bad price for these considering how good they are (IMHO of course). Of course, I can see where you are coming from because quite some years ago, and even though they weren't officially discontinued, Focal devalued the heck out of them (well Adorama played a very large part in this). The OG price for these were actually closer to $1k usd. But, by devaluing them, they remained a buzz for many years, and Focal managed to eke out many more sales over the years.

Having said that, I got my set for $350, and I STILL consider them a complete steal. :)

Mar 17, 2024 at 3:10 AM Post #4,821 of 4,840
$700-800 is still not a bad price for these considering how good they are (IMHO of course). Of course, I can see where you are coming from because quite some years ago, and even though they weren't officially discontinued, Focal devalued the heck out of them (well Adorama played a very large part in this). The OG price for these were actually closer to $1k usd. But, by devaluing them, they remained a buzz for many years, and Focal managed to eke out many more sales over the years.

Having said that, I got my set for $350, and I STILL consider them a complete steal. :)
I picked mine up for around $500 and feel like I paid what they are worth.

Mar 23, 2024 at 3:37 PM Post #4,824 of 4,840
So, the Elegia's seem to be now sold out at most sources, but as they're still listed on Focal website I wonder if the're really not produced anymore? Seems this is finally the case. After some ear adaption, I'm really enjoying them with Dekoni Stellia pads now, without any EQ.
How so?

Delivered/dispatched within 24 hrs

https://www.son-video.com/article/nomade-casques-et-ecouteurs/focal/elegia#ficheAvis

or

https://www.fnac.com/Casque-hi-fi-ferme-circum-aural-Focal-Elegia/a14722445/w-4#omnsearchpos=1

Mar 23, 2024 at 4:14 PM Post #4,825 of 4,840
Proud owner of elegia here. However, I'll sell them and go open back in 2024
Don't sell them! There will always be a use-case for a good closed back.

For my open back use-cases I like my Meze 109 Pro.

Mar 23, 2024 at 5:46 PM Post #4,826 of 4,840
Last edited:
Mar 24, 2024 at 10:06 AM Post #4,827 of 4,840
I'm considering selling mine. Not that I don't like them (they sound great and I love how they look), but I haven't really used them much since I got the Edition XS. I prefer open backs in general and I just got another open back Sony set. The Sony is also notably lighter and more comfortable to wear. Comfort isn't bad on the Elegia, but it's definitely the weakest aspect for me.

Mar 30, 2024 at 11:48 AM Post #4,829 of 4,840
I've been seeing the Focal Elegias consistently at the mid 200-300 range used, I think it's a really great headphone that out performs it's price.
The longer I own them and the more headphones I compare them to, the more I grow attached to my Elegia. Closed backs already are a bit of a quirky niche among over-ears that not everyone likes, and the Elegia is even quirkier for its *very* relaxed ear gain. Definitely not for everyone, but those of us who like them love them.

$200-$300 is a ridiculously good price, but they are a quirky set, so I get why the prices keep falling.

Mar 30, 2024 at 12:40 PM Post #4,830 of 4,840
the Elegia is even quirkier for its *very* relaxed ear gain.
With all the Chinese made head gear nowadays, rather than tuning the treble properly, they boost this area to a point that they hurt my ears (in all fairness, I am very sensitive to this area anyhow). I find this sort of "old school" tuning to be refreshing to my ears. That and the fact that for closed back phones these have one of the widest soundstages I have heard. And of course the house TOTL dynamics that Focal is known for is there as well. Tuning is a bit different overall, but that is another reason I love them, for their uniqueness. They aren't the big and boomy set that most expect from a closed back where the low end is concerned but have quite a lot of bass for stuff that demands it (it is not like it is missing at all even with songs that don't call for it).

Personally, I only got the sheepskin pads so that I can have (basically) two sets of phones in one; and that is exactly the difference between the stock pads and the sheepskins IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back