Focal Elegia - what do you think?
Nov 4, 2023 at 7:26 PM Post #4,741 of 4,879
So, my 2nd pair of Adorama open box Elegia showed up todat and is going right back. One of the drivers was just bouncing around freely inside the headphone. 🙄 Guess I’ll stick with one pair and put money towards a Utopia or something. 🤷‍♂️
The only good thing with purchasing them from Adorama is the 30 return policy and 1 Year Warranty

Nov 6, 2023 at 1:19 AM Post #4,742 of 4,879
What are the chances that a Tago Studio boom mic would be compatible with the Elegia?

Image of the boom mic:

1699251314349.jpeg

The Tago headphones use 3.5mm plugs for each channel, just like the Elegia does. I *THINK* that the plastic part right after the metallic plug is narrower than Focal's stock cable, but I don't know enough Japanese to look for Japanese speakers who may own both a Tago and a Focal.

Nov 6, 2023 at 6:11 AM Post #4,743 of 4,879
What are the chances that a Tago Studio boom mic would be compatible with the Elegia?

Image of the boom mic:

The Tago headphones use 3.5mm plugs for each channel, just like the Elegia does. I *THINK* that the plastic part right after the metallic plug is narrower than Focal's stock cable, but I don't know enough Japanese to look for Japanese speakers who may own both a Tago and a Focal.
I don't see any reason that it shouldn't work. I would be more concerned about if it works in the source you are plugging it into. But, since you are alluding to this cable as being Japanese make, I should think it would be fine. If it were of Chinese make I would be concerned whether it were CTIA or OMTP (CTIA being international standard, and OMTP being mainly Chinese standard; basically the ground ring is swapped). It won't actually hurt anything, one way or the other. It will just not play properly if it doesn't.

Having said that and if it is the proper protocol (wiring), you should be able to plug it in with no headphones at all, and be able to use the mic. Otherwise it is just a standard SE cable and should work just fine to supply sound to the headphones. :)

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2023 at 6:58 PM Post #4,744 of 4,879
Adorama has these marked all the way down to $228 now for open box. I could not resist buying a second pair.... just to store away. Best deal in headphones out there.... by far! Double up while you can at this price before their supply is gone forever.
now sell them both and get a Radiance, the perfected and much improved Elegia :wink:

Nov 11, 2023 at 5:55 PM Post #4,747 of 4,879
Nov 11, 2023 at 6:42 PM Post #4,748 of 4,879
I did a brief audition.

Elegia with Dekoni Sheepskins = Radiance.
No way, having owned both, there's a different tuning/timbre going on, especially in the bass and mid range. They're very different headphones, and I've used the Elegia with lambskin dekoni pads (probably similar to the sheepskins). I may have to revisit it in a comparison for the sake of interest though.

Nov 11, 2023 at 7:01 PM Post #4,749 of 4,879
I did a brief audition.

Elegia with Dekoni Sheepskins = Radiance.
I wasn't impressed with the Elegia.... until I added the Dekoni pads. It changed them dramatically and are now my favorite. I use them far more than my DCA Noire because my Fiio M17 will heat up and pause itself when pushing the Noire hard. I hate that. My Elegia are easy to push hard. I love that.

Nov 18, 2023 at 5:53 PM Post #4,755 of 4,879

Users who are viewing this thread

Back