Focal Elegia - what do you think?
Nov 1, 2023 at 12:00 AM Post #4,726 of 4,879
It really depends on what you're trying to achieve. I tend to find the balance cables can be louder because it the balance power tends to be more. Soundwise, the difference is minimal; it's possible placebo difference. Where I would suggest cable is if the cable you're using is microphonic, ie you hear banging sounds when the cable bumps against you. Focal headphone cables, in my experience, tend to be microphonic.

I've switched out my earpads. I cannot comment well about the effects. If you have a good fit and comfortable, that is really all the matters. Some pads may give you better bass response or something.

A good investment with Focal headphones is a headphone band cover. As nice as the leather and materials on Focal headphones, they stain/petina really easy from the oils on our head/hair.

Nov 1, 2023 at 12:02 AM Post #4,727 of 4,879
Nov 1, 2023 at 12:09 AM Post #4,728 of 4,879
do you think pads make more of a difference than a balanced cable? i've been thinking of getting either those earpads or a balanced cable for a while.

Only difference I noticed going balanced is an increase in volume and as they're so easy to drive, I don't think balanced is required at all. Pads make a huge difference to the tuning and I find it much more agreeable to my tastes with the Dekoni Custom pads.

With stock pads I find the Elegia too mid forward, not sure if the mids are actually recessed with the pads change or the increase in bass and treble just balances it out, making it appear the mids are tamed.

Nov 1, 2023 at 1:05 AM Post #4,730 of 4,879
do you think pads make more of a difference than a balanced cable? i've been thinking of getting either those earpads or a balanced cable for a while.
Absolutely.... but I would definitely get a nice balanced cable. I went with a Audiophile Ninja. Between that and the pads...... the Elegia shines.

Nov 1, 2023 at 2:30 AM Post #4,731 of 4,879
Nov 1, 2023 at 2:31 AM Post #4,732 of 4,879
With stock pads I find the Elegia too mid forward, not sure if the mids are actually recessed with the pads change or the increase in bass and treble just balances it out, making it appear the mids are tamed.
i find that a little to, Peace EQ sorts it though, i have experience with EQ and effects.

Nov 1, 2023 at 3:20 AM Post #4,733 of 4,879
Get the pads First!

Nov 1, 2023 at 7:58 AM Post #4,734 of 4,879
As mentioned, the balanced cable (for these) will not make a noticeable difference in sound, other than adding more volume. But, the pads will transform these into a whole different signature. It is like having two totally different sets of headphones.
cool, thanks, do you think the elite sheepskin pads would be an upgrade too?
From what I have gathered on this thread, the more sealed the pads are, the more the sound changes. All velour being the extreme one way, and total leather being the other. So, if you got the fenestrated leather pads, it should fall somewhere in the middle of the extremes.

Having said that, I have read on here that the sheepskin pads make things too dark for some, where the Stelia custom sheepskin pads, are just a bit less extreme (most consider them just right). YMMV though. :)

Nov 1, 2023 at 9:53 AM Post #4,736 of 4,879
As mentioned, the balanced cable (for these) will not make a noticeable difference in sound, other than adding more volume. But, the pads will transform these into a whole different signature. It is like having two totally different sets of headphones.

From what I have gathered on this thread, the more sealed the pads are, the more the sound changes. All velour being the extreme one way, and total leather being the other. So, if you got the fenestrated leather pads, it should fall somewhere in the middle of the extremes.

Having said that, I have read on here that the sheepskin pads make things too dark for some, where the Stelia custom sheepskin pads, are just a bit less extreme (most consider them just right). YMMV though.
Aren't there perforated pads that make it more open as well?

Nov 2, 2023 at 3:54 AM Post #4,738 of 4,879
Adorama has these marked all the way down to $228 now for open box. I could not resist buying a second pair.... just to store away. Best deal in headphones out there.... by far! Double up while you can at this price before their supply is gone forever.

Nov 4, 2023 at 7:06 PM Post #4,740 of 4,879
So, my 2nd pair of Adorama open box Elegia showed up todat and is going right back. One of the drivers was just bouncing around freely inside the headphone. 🙄 Guess I’ll stick with one pair and put money towards a Utopia or something. 🤷‍♂️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back