Focal Elegia - what do you think?
Oct 16, 2023 at 1:04 PM Post #4,711 of 4,880
Copycat! Lol! I had the same experience. Had already ordered the Dekoni customs which actually beat the headphones to my door from Amazon Japan no less. Ordered a Hart Audio balanced cable as well. I spent about 30 mins in stock mode, and it was “different”. I could tell the quality was there, it was just waiting to be unleashed! And that’s what the mods did. I mean they exploded! I was like “so this is what a $900 headphone sounds like!” I paid less than half of that for them and I couldn’t be happier. Still breaking them in and they just keep sounding better. My wife put them on with Amazon unlimited in 360 mode playing Doja Cat and she was literally blown back in her chair. She said she’d NEVER heard music sound that good before! So yeah. For under $400 (which is the most anyone should have to pay for these right now), I don’t think there is a better closed-back DD headphone out there. A warm amp, like something from iFi makes the experience even more musical. Get some!!!
I was smiling once I added the Dekoni pads and 4.4 balanced cable….. also Hart Audio. I can’t believe I was able to get a fantastic Focal headphone for $258….. about $400 with pads and cable. Worth every penny! I am considering buying a 2nd pair for $250 just to have if anything ever happens to 1st pair. They are THAT good! I bought the DCA Noire about a week or two before the Elegia and I love those too but the Elegia demoted them…. mainly due to Elegia being easier to drive. My M17 puts out 3w per channel in balanced mode which makes the Elegia absolutely scream with tons of headroom. The Noire eats up the power and laughs at it. I can play them loud but it really heats up the M17…. even shutting down(auto pauses) the dap sometimes. The Elegia is far more efficient. Both are great headphones though. The Noire is FAR more comfortable and wins by a mile in that aspect….. but they were also $900….. 3x the cost of the Elegia with money left over to buy a $150 cable.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2023 at 1:05 PM Post #4,712 of 4,880
Do the ZMF pads increase the bass or do they keep it just the same as the OG? I saw the graph Zack presented on the video and it looks almost exactly the same. They seem super comfy so if bass is improved I might be tempted to order a pair.

I don’t know about the ZMF pads but the Dekoni Custom pads did exactly what I wanted. They are a HUGE upgrade to the Elegia and the bass sounds soooo good now. I can’t recommend them enough if you want some thump and slam out of the Elegia. 🤟

https://dekoniaudio.com/product/dek...es-replacement-ear-pads-for-focal-headphones/

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2023 at 5:46 PM Post #4,713 of 4,880
Going back and forth between the OEM, Dekoni, and ZMF Pads. I have to say that the ZMF Pads are the most comfortable I could wear these all day. They sound very close to the OEM pads with a slightly deeper sub bass and clear even sound across the board with the sound, they were made to sound close to original pads..
Compared to the Dekoni customs, the Dekonis have a deeper, more punchy, and more dynamic bass to its sound, when compared to the ZMF.
I usually lower the Dekoni pads bass -2 to -3db for my liking and raise the ZMF pads +2db to my liking.
If you like the original OEM pads and want to buy a cheaper alternative or replacement with a slight lift to the sub bass I recommend the ZMF pads. If your looking for a much deeper and dynamic sound in the lower end, the Dekonis are a better fit.

Attachments

• 20231019_165354.jpg
    20231019_165354.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Oct 19, 2023 at 5:51 PM Post #4,714 of 4,880
Going back and forth between the OEM, Dekoni, and ZMF Pads. I have to say that the ZMF Pads are the most comfortable I could wear these all day. They sound very close to the OEM pads with a slightly deeper sub bass and clear even sound across the board with the sound, they were made to sound close to original pads..
Compared to the Dekoni customs, the Dekonis have a deeper, more punchy, and more dynamic bass to its sound, when compared to the ZMF.
I usually lower the Dekoni pads bass -2 to -3db for my liking and raise the ZMF pads +2db to my liking.
If you like the original OEM pads and want to buy a cheaper alternative or replacement with a slight lift to the sub bass I recommend the ZMF pads. If your looking for a much deeper and dynamic sound in the lower end, the Dekonis are a better fit.
They sure look very comfortable, I might give them a try

Oct 19, 2023 at 7:57 PM Post #4,715 of 4,880
Is this the link? https://shop.zmfheadphones.com/collections/pads/products/zmf-focal-subs?variant=42866910560419

And then select suede?

Oct 19, 2023 at 8:22 PM Post #4,717 of 4,880
This is my EQ setting using the ZMF Focal+ Pads, same as OEM Pads, with bass setting at +2db instead of +3 to +4 for the OEM.
These settings are used based off Resolves settings. I was streaming Tori Kellys new album from Tidal which has strong female vocals with a nice deep bass beat.

Attachments

• 20231019_201312.jpg
    20231019_201312.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Oct 22, 2023 at 10:23 AM Post #4,718 of 4,880
It was difficult putting the ZMF pads on and off, you actually had to push the leather away from pins to align them. I found it easier just to cut around the pin area with a hole puncher and scissors. They function much better. This is something they should do before shipping.

Attachments

• 20231022_101519.jpg
    20231022_101519.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231020_145955.jpg
    20231020_145955.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
Oct 23, 2023 at 9:27 PM Post #4,719 of 4,880
I don’t know about the ZMF pads but the Dekoni Custom pads did exactly what I wanted. They are a HUGE upgrade to the Elegia and the bass sounds soooo good now. I can’t recommend them enough if you want some thump and slam out of the Elegia. 🤟

https://dekoniaudio.com/product/dek...es-replacement-ear-pads-for-focal-headphones/

I was never fond of my Elegia with the stock pads. After having read a few peeps recommending the Dekoni Custom Stellia pads on this forum, I picked a pair up a couple of months back. They've completely transformed these headphones for me, I find myself often reaching for them now!

Oct 31, 2023 at 4:11 PM Post #4,722 of 4,880
My dongle finally arrived. Paired the Elegia with an iBasso DC04 Pro for clear and smooth listening on the sofa, on the terrace, in bed and while travelling. Listening to the combo while typing this. Seems like a good match.

EDIT: the iBasso needs to be set to high gain (via the UAC app) to drive the Elegia. Else, the bass is drained.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2023 at 4:22 PM Post #4,723 of 4,880
I was never fond of my Elegia with the stock pads. After having read a few peeps recommending the Dekoni Custom Stellia pads on this forum, I picked a pair up a couple of months back. They've completely transformed these headphones for me, I find myself often reaching for them now!
Yup, they completely transform them. 🤟🏻 I choose them 90% of the time.... even over my new DCA Noire. The Focals will just jam off my Fiio M17. The Noire will will shut down the M17, if I get greedy with volume, due to overheating amp. 😩

Oct 31, 2023 at 8:44 PM Post #4,724 of 4,880
Yup, they completely transform them. 🤟🏻 I choose them 90% of the time.... even over my new DCA Noire. The Focals will just jam off my Fiio M17. The Noire will will shut down the M17, if I get greedy with volume, due to overheating amp. 😩
do you think pads make more of a difference than a balanced cable? i've been thinking of getting either those earpads or a balanced cable for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back