Focal Elegia - what do you think?
Oct 14, 2023 at 10:00 AM Post #4,696 of 4,880
I had the same issue with mine, I changed the pads but still felt the headphone too loose. If I moved my head forward the Elegias fell.

Not sure if all come like this or not but I did a slight bend in each side and problem solved. Now they seal perfectly without it being to tight.

Focal’s service department can also tighten up the bend. My Elegias were initially wider set than my other Focals and they adjusted them for me under warranty. They seal much better now.

Oct 14, 2023 at 10:01 AM Post #4,697 of 4,880
Focal’s service department can also tighten up the bend. My Elegias were initially wider set than my other Focals and they adjusted them for me under warranty. They seal much better now.
Aaaa I did not know that. Maybe I will reach out to them. Thank you for that

Oct 14, 2023 at 12:48 PM Post #4,698 of 4,880
Aaaa I did not know that. Maybe I will reach out to them. Thank you for that
Be careful with assumptions with this thought. Focal has refused to honor any sort of warranty in the past when learning that the phones were bought from Adorama. They made it very clear that they are not an authorized dealer. If you purchased them elsewhere, that is a different story. :)

Oct 14, 2023 at 12:54 PM Post #4,699 of 4,880
Well, I’m 15 minutes in with my Elegia. They didn’t sound right at all but I could tell that the pads weren't sealing well. I would press the cups against my head and they sounded much better. I had a set of Dekoni Custom pads waiting, as well as a 4.4 balanced cable, and tried them right away. Wow. Huge HUGE improvement over stock!!! They sound great and hopefully they’ll sound better and better. Eventually, I’ll try to break in the stock pads to see if they seal better. If not, oh well! The Dekoni Customs rock! I’m super happy with my $258 Focals!
Copycat! Lol! I had the same experience. Had already ordered the Dekoni customs which actually beat the headphones to my door from Amazon Japan no less. Ordered a Hart Audio balanced cable as well. I spent about 30 mins in stock mode, and it was “different”. I could tell the quality was there, it was just waiting to be unleashed! And that’s what the mods did. I mean they exploded! I was like “so this is what a $900 headphone sounds like!” I paid less than half of that for them and I couldn’t be happier. Still breaking them in and they just keep sounding better. My wife put them on with Amazon unlimited in 360 mode playing Doja Cat and she was literally blown back in her chair. She said she’d NEVER heard music sound that good before! So yeah. For under $400 (which is the most anyone should have to pay for these right now), I don’t think there is a better closed-back DD headphone out there. A warm amp, like something from iFi makes the experience even more musical. Get some!!!

Oct 14, 2023 at 12:59 PM Post #4,700 of 4,880
Be careful with assumptions with this thought. Focal has refused to honor any sort of warranty in the past when learning that the phones were bought from Adorama. They made it very clear that they are not an authorized dealer. If you purchased them elsewhere, that is a different story. :)

That’s where I purchased mine from. It’s possible that they were authorized at the time, but that’s a better question for the folks at Focal.

Oct 14, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #4,701 of 4,880
That’s where I purchased mine from. It’s possible that they were authorized at the time, but that’s a better question for the folks at Focal.
That's fantastic for you that they did honor it. They have always not been an authorized dealer in Focal's eyes because they have always sold them for less than retail (good for us, bad for Focal). There is a conversation in this thread regarding it.

Having said that, it is possible that they have finally paired up because it seems as though Adorama has an endless supply of these (they have to be getting them from somewhere since they are unofficially discontinued). It seems as though Adorama has almost single handedly kept these phones alive. Focal never actually said that they are discontinued, but they removed them from their website, and official stores stopped selling them, and a new version came out in its place.

I only mentioned it because of them refusing warranty in the past. If they honor it, then consider yourself lucky. :) Any chance that they know you are associated with Etymotic?

Oct 14, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #4,702 of 4,880
That's fantastic for you that they did honor it. They have always not been an authorized dealer in Focal's eyes because they have always sold them for less than retail (good for us, bad for Focal). There is a conversation in this thread regarding it.

Having said that, it is possible that they have finally paired up because it seems as though Adorama has an endless supply of these (they have to be getting them from somewhere since they are unofficially discontinued). It seems as though Adorama has almost single handedly kept these phones alive. Focal never actually said that they are discontinued, but they removed them from their website, and official stores stopped selling them, and a new version came out in its place.

I only mentioned it because of them refusing warranty in the past. If they honor it, then consider yourself lucky. :) Any chance that they know you are associated with Etymotic?

Yes, I am with Etymotic and Westone Audio. :)

Oct 14, 2023 at 3:31 PM Post #4,703 of 4,880
Yes, I am with Etymotic and Westone Audio. :)
What I meant, was that maybe they know this. You are the first person that I am aware of that has received any sort of warranty support after purchasing from Adorama. Come to think of it, you are the first person to mention that the factory can/will reshape the head band to better fit.

Either way, it is fantastic that they are now better suited to you. These are some of the best closed back phones on the market (still) IMHO, and I still believe them to be worth the OG asking price, though I also didn't purchase them for that much either.

Oct 14, 2023 at 3:41 PM Post #4,704 of 4,880

Headphones.com and Apos Audio which are authorized dealer actually also sales them for $399 New

Oct 14, 2023 at 4:31 PM Post #4,705 of 4,880
Not sure if all come like this or not but I did a slight bend in each side and problem solved. Now they seal perfectly without it being to tight.
Please be cautious bending the aluminum yokes... the plastic part of the band can break easily under pressure.

Oct 14, 2023 at 4:49 PM Post #4,706 of 4,880
Please be cautious bending the aluminum yokes... the plastic part of the band can break easily under pressure.
Yes you are absolutely right I was worried that to happen. I did it very carefully and since then I have not touched that anymore. I will leave them as they are since they fit just perfect now.

Oct 14, 2023 at 4:49 PM Post #4,707 of 4,880
What I meant, was that maybe they know this. You are the first person that I am aware of that has received any sort of warranty support after purchasing from Adorama. Come to think of it, you are the first person to mention that the factory can/will reshape the head band to better fit.

Either way, it is fantastic that they are now better suited to you. These are some of the best closed back phones on the market (still) IMHO, and I still believe them to be worth the OG asking price, though I also didn't purchase them for that much either.

Ah, that makes perfect sense. I’m don’t know if they know I work in the industry or not, but I did go through their warranty department for the fix.

Oct 15, 2023 at 2:32 AM Post #4,708 of 4,880
I just ordered the ZMF Focal+ Subs Suede Earpads for the Elegias, also cant wait to see how they compare to the Dekoni Custom pads and the Voarmaks fenestrated pads.
I really like the ZMF pads! I've had them almost 3 months and find myself listening with them more often than the oem. I had the Dekoni Custom pads but didn't care for them and returned them.

Oct 15, 2023 at 5:48 PM Post #4,709 of 4,880
I really like the ZMF pads! I've had them almost 3 months and find myself listening with them more often than the oem. I had the Dekoni Custom pads but didn't care for them and returned them.
Do the ZMF pads increase the bass or do they keep it just the same as the OG? I saw the graph Zack presented on the video and it looks almost exactly the same. They seem super comfy so if bass is improved I might be tempted to order a pair.

Oct 16, 2023 at 1:11 AM Post #4,710 of 4,880
It increases the bass, but not as much as the Dekonis per my memory. But I didn't have both to compare. What it does do is keep all the detail and magic of the oem pads but just a little different toneality from top to bottem. I have to say that I never had a problem with the bass of the oem pads. With my system and a good recording the realistic presentation is stunning at times with accoustic, female / male vocals, Folk, Americana, Indie, Bluegrass, Blues, Classical... poor recordings ussually sound pretty bad. Having these pads and the oem is like having two really nice pairs of headphones.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back