Focal Elegia - what do you think?
Aug 27, 2023 at 7:27 AM Post #4,608 of 4,881
How is sound leakage of Elegia ? I’m looking for a close back to listen at night in the bed.

Aug 27, 2023 at 12:26 PM Post #4,609 of 4,881
Been using a balanced cable from the start and just got around to pulling out the unused stock cable to plug into an iMac, but the left channel, like mentioned by a few, is defective just below the plug. : (

Any recommendations for a cheap replacement or does the does the jack come apart as I could just repair it.
There is this one, though I have not tried it.
FYI - I am using a Hart cable that I had, it's terminated for Hifiman and it works fine.
I do as well. This way I can use both balanced and SE just by changing the modular plug. In the long run this is a very cheap solution that is of high quality (IMO).
How is sound leakage of Elegia ? I’m looking for a close back to listen at night in the bed.
AFAIK it is pretty non-existent.

Aug 27, 2023 at 12:37 PM Post #4,610 of 4,881
stock cable is garbage
Problematic...obviously.
There is this one,
I went with this one as I need at least 6' and a 6.3mm/1/4" (I'm adverse to adapters. : ) ).

Lunashop has been around for awhile now.....
https://www.lunashops.com
Screenshot 2023-08-27 at 12.33.27 PM.png

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2023 at 1:51 PM Post #4,611 of 4,881
Problematic...obviously.

I went with this one as I need at least 6' and a 6.3mm/1/4" (I'm adverse to adapters. : ) ).

Lunashop has been around for awhile now.....
https://www.lunashops.com
Screenshot 2023-08-27 at 12.33.27 PM.png
Cool. While the one I linked is NOT 6', it does have both 3.5mm SE and 6.5mm connectors. But again, buying from Ebay is a crapshoot at best most times, so sounds like you solved your own problem... :)

Sep 18, 2023 at 8:46 AM Post #4,614 of 4,881
Just a random fact: after seeing how Focal cans are named, I wondered what “Elegia” meant.

According to Wikipedia, it means “elegy” in Latin, which means:

… a poem of serious reflection, and in English literature usually a lament for the dead. However, according to The Oxford Handbook of the Elegy, "for all of its pervasiveness ... the 'elegy' remains remarkably ill defined: sometimes used as a catch-all to denominate texts of a somber or pessimistic tone, sometimes as a marker for textual monumentalizing, and sometimes strictly as a sign of a lament for the dead".
So, in an alternate universe where sound signatures are defined by the names of headphones, one could say the Elegia sounds lamentable.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2023 at 10:27 AM Post #4,615 of 4,881
My wife says that she cannot hear my Elegias when I am playing my bedtime playlist.

Sep 18, 2023 at 9:35 PM Post #4,617 of 4,881
In my Journey I have gone back to the Elegias now for the 3rd time. For the money these headphones are hard to beat. They are not perfect, but with the right pads and some EQ'ing they sound terrific.
I purchased them with the Voarmaks full sheepskin earpads (Which are half the price of the Dekoni pads) and I modified the sound slightly using setting from @InvisibleInk and must say they sound terrific. I have them paired with the tiny IFI UNO that drives them fine. with all this I can say the low end sounds full but clean, not bloated and the high end sounds clearer and instruments sound more separated. I glad I bought them hopefully for the last time.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2023 at 10:53 PM Post #4,620 of 4,881
Personally I find the open back - closed back discussion a bit strange. You often see people saying 'oh, and I also want a closed/open back'. Like they absolutely need one of each.

To me, closed backs just serve a totally different use case. If you need sound insulation, you need a closed back. In all other cases, it is best to just go open back. You find more models. And, in general, you can get good sounding open-backs (e.g. Sundara) for less money than equally good sounding closed-backs.

Perhaps all this confusion comes from the fact that a lot of entry-level headphones are intended for portable use or not to disturb others (e.g. teens listening to music or gaming indoors). Which implies that most get into this hobby starting from closed-backs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back