Focal Elegia - what do you think?
Jun 8, 2023 at 2:42 AM Post #4,486 of 4,891
These fans need no week of listening but a burn in of 200 hours.Then The soundstage Goes open and The bass came up.

Jun 8, 2023 at 6:10 AM Post #4,487 of 4,891
With R&B and hip-hop, etc... these have some really big bass on that sort of music... If it were me, I would give yourself a good week of listening exclusively to these to get used to the different tuning. If you are a basshead, you will definitely find these to be lacking bass in the beginning, but they really aren't, they are just tuned like it is supposed to sound IMO.

If you get used to them, I don't think you will find them to be lacking, but instead if/when you go back to your basshead sets, you might even find them to have enough bass to be fatiguing to your ears. This was also my experience many years ago when I went from Beats type headphones to "audiophile" type tuning in headphones.
When I was listening to a few songs with Elegias (demo), I was very pleased how good and tight punch is, but havent tested anything with continous bass (mid range and highs was more important factor, since I dont like harshness and I was looking something with very nice vocal presense). But for some songs the bassline is very important part of the song, like a main melody. I'll see how it goes. Hopefuly True Bass option in dac will assist me if ever needed in a first place. Im not wearing glasses so seal with original pads should be decent.

Jun 8, 2023 at 11:27 AM Post #4,488 of 4,891
Here's my analogy about the bass in the Elegia: It's like a well-behaved, smart child in class.

When bass thump isn't called upon or present in a song, the Elegia stays refined and quiet in the low end. But when the sonic teacher calls upon the Elegia during a big bass drop or heavy bass (not sub-bass) in a track, it speaks loud and clear with pinpoint slam. I've still never heard a closed-back headphone with the sensation of moving so much air in the cups during big bass punch than the Elegia.

I owned the Meze 99 Classics, which are bassy as f*ck, and they don't punch like the Elegia. But unlike the Classics, which bleed bass like blood in a Tarantino movie, the Elegia bass stays put when not called upon.

Jun 8, 2023 at 10:10 PM Post #4,489 of 4,891
Good day everyone. Because of this nice community and endless research I have decided to order Elegia cans (ariving in about a week or two). Had a chance for a short demo from a person who owns them (stock cans) and compered to Sundaras, Edition XS and my Beyers DT 700 Pro 80ohm. As I suspected, Elegias suited my needs and I finally decided to order. Anyway, Im pretty sure I am upgrading a stock cable to a nicer balanced one. Right now, as a budget option Im thinking about these from Ali:
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKRyiyG

Also as a person who appreciates a well defined bass, I'm trying to figure out how to boost it a little bit without changing the pads (cuz Im a cheap man and pads for 80 bucks are bit too pricey right now). Option one is EQ, but I cannot use any EQ with Tidal's Exclusive mode enabled. If someone knows how to bypass it, please share :)
Option two is True Bass option in my Ifi Zen Dac V2, but as I know, with my DT 700, it can be way too much in some songs.

I know, this sounds like contemplation without Elegias in my hands, sorry about that, just wanted other thoughs ant th
Good day everyone. Because of this nice community and endless research I have decided to order Elegia cans (ariving in about a week or two). Had a chance for a short demo from a person who owns them (stock cans) and compered to Sundaras, Edition XS and my Beyers DT 700 Pro 80ohm. As I suspected, Elegias suited my needs and I finally decided to order. Anyway, Im pretty sure I am upgrading a stock cable to a nicer balanced one. Right now, as a budget option Im thinking about these from Ali:
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKRyiyG

Also as a person who appreciates a well defined bass, I'm trying to figure out how to boost it a little bit without changing the pads (cuz Im a cheap man and pads for 80 bucks are bit too pricey right now). Option one is EQ, but I cannot use any EQ with Tidal's Exclusive mode enabled. If someone knows how to bypass it, please share :)
Option two is True Bass option in my Ifi Zen Dac V2, but as I know, with my DT 700, it can be way too much in some songs.

I know, this sounds like contemplation without Elegias in my hands, sorry about that, just wanted other thoughs ant opinions.
There are other sheepskins pads that are of equal quality. Just like you, I didn’t want to spend $80 so I got the Voarmaks for $38 at Amazon. I bought the ones that are like Focal pads with the small perforated section and it also like the Focal leather pads, has a fabric material area near the driver to dampen the sound waves. Interestingly, after I applied the Harman EQ on my Qudelix, the bass and sub bass was too intense but those drivers remained clean. I ended up having to go with the full on perforated pads and now it is a more balanced presentation. I listen to mostly everything but they sound great now on Metal, EDM, Trance, rap and Pop. Also classic rock. But when it comes to classical or huge soundstage performances that’s when, for me, the Elegia was lacking. I mean the sound very detailed and with clarity but I just don’t like them for classical or live recordings. Here’s a link for the Voarmaks. There are also some Sheepskin pads including the Voarmaks on Aliexpress according to another member on here but I don’t know how much they are or what quality.
Voarmaks for Focal

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2023 at 7:49 AM Post #4,490 of 4,891
I ended up having to go with the full on perforated pads and now it is a more balanced presentation.
That is good to know.
But when it comes to classical or huge soundstage performances that’s when, for me, the Elegia was lacking.
...and that's why we have multiple phones. :sunglasses:

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2023 at 11:32 AM Post #4,491 of 4,891
Last edited:
Jun 9, 2023 at 10:32 PM Post #4,492 of 4,891
I've had the elegia for 10 days now. When I first listen to them I felt that they were harsh, metallic soundits, lacking bass impact, and very unpleasant. I am comaricomthem to my akg k872 .
But with around 30 hours on them they are completely changed. I do not believe in burn in but rather we get used to the sound. This is the first pair of headphones that I can say they changed for the better w burnin .to the point that I now prefer them to my akg k872 .
I do however feel the leakage out is high .my wife complaint that they sound so loud .
Has anyone tried the dekoni leather pads? Do they improve isolation? And if so do they change the bass any?
As of now I'm so happy w the elegia sound .to the point I may sell the akg k872. I thought the k872 we're my true love but now I'm torn
Also I replaced the horrendous elegia stock cable w a cheap $20 Amazon cable. Sounds same to me but so much more manageable as they are thin and light .
I know this comment is 5 years old but just wanted to say that I have never believed in or noticed burn in being a thing until I got these.... I thought they sounded just plain weird the first time I switched from my Ananda Stealth to these to the point where I almost returned them, but now if I switch I almost prefer these and I know it isn't brain burn in, the sound is completely different in a amazing way.

Jun 10, 2023 at 12:38 AM Post #4,493 of 4,891
Here's my analogy about the bass in the Elegia: It's like a well-behaved, smart child in class.

When bass thump isn't called upon or present in a song, the Elegia stays refined and quiet in the low end. But when the sonic teacher calls upon the Elegia during a big bass drop or heavy bass (not sub-bass) in a track, it speaks loud and clear with pinpoint slam. I've still never heard a closed-back headphone with the sensation of moving so much air in the cups during big bass punch than the Elegia.

I owned the Meze 99 Classics, which are bassy as f*ck, and they don't punch like the Elegia. But unlike the Classics, which bleed bass like blood in a Tarantino movie, the Elegia bass stays put when not called upon.

As I sit here listening to my Meze 99's, waiting for my $299 Elegia's to arrive, I am happy to read this comment. I was worried about the bass from all the comments / reviews I have read about them lacking. I do like bass and the Meze's have plenty, but I have been searching for something with decent low end but better detail / clarity / separation and it sounds like this may be it.

So far I have tried:
  • ATH-M40X
  • Meze 99 Noir
  • DT 770
  • DCA Aeon RT Closed
  • DT 700 Pro X
  • Kennerton M12 (2020) Version
The only ones I have kept are the m40x (I have had those for like 8+ years, all of the others have come in the last 2-3 months) and the Meze's

I currently have the Elegia coming (should be here tomorrow) and ordered a set of Sundara Closed today when the prices dropped. I'm 100% closed as most of my listening happens in the evening as we settle down, and my wife is nearby reading at the same time.

Jun 10, 2023 at 12:39 AM Post #4,494 of 4,891
There are other sheepskins pads that are of equal quality. Just like you, I didn’t want to spend $80 so I got the Voarmaks for $38 at Amazon. I bought the ones that are like Focal pads with the small perforated section and it also like the Focal leather pads, has a fabric material area near the driver to dampen the sound waves. Interestingly, after I applied the Harman EQ on my Qudelix, the bass and sub bass was too intense but those drivers remained clean. I ended up having to go with the full on perforated pads and now it is a more balanced presentation. I listen to mostly everything but they sound great now on Metal, EDM, Trance, rap and Pop. Also classic rock. But when it comes to classical or huge soundstage performances that’s when, for me, the Elegia was lacking. I mean the sound very detailed and with clarity but I just don’t like them for classical or live recordings. Here’s a link for the Voarmaks. There are also some Sheepskin pads including the Voarmaks on Aliexpress according to another member on here but I don’t know how much they are or what quality.
Voarmaks for Focal

Wish those Sheepskins would come back in stock! Looking forward to receiving these HPs but I'm not a huge fan of fuzzy earpads.

Jun 10, 2023 at 12:45 AM Post #4,495 of 4,891
I know this comment is 5 years old but just wanted to say that I have never believed in or noticed burn in being a thing until I got these.... I thought they sounded just plain weird the first time I switched from my Ananda Stealth to these to the point where I almost returned them, but now if I switch I almost prefer these and I know it isn't brain burn in, the sound is completely different in a amazing way.

I mean it does kind of make sense that something this small that vibrates / flexes thousands of times a second would need to "loosen up".

Also, I haven't properly broken in and listened to any of the sets I have sent back.....

I guess that means I understand it but dont care. lol

Jun 10, 2023 at 1:11 PM Post #4,498 of 4,891
As I sit here listening to my Meze 99's, waiting for my $299 Elegia's to arrive, I am happy to read this comment. I was worried about the bass from all the comments / reviews I have read about them lacking. I do like bass and the Meze's have plenty, but I have been searching for something with decent low end but better detail / clarity / separation and it sounds like this may be it.

So far I have tried:
  • ATH-M40X
  • Meze 99 Noir
  • DT 770
  • DCA Aeon RT Closed
  • DT 700 Pro X
  • Kennerton M12 (2020) Version
The only ones I have kept are the m40x (I have had those for like 8+ years, all of the others have come in the last 2-3 months) and the Meze's

I currently have the Elegia coming (should be here tomorrow) and ordered a set of Sundara Closed today when the prices dropped. I'm 100% closed as most of my listening happens in the evening as we settle down, and my wife is nearby reading at the same time.
I think you'll like the Elegia, man. Good luck!

Jun 11, 2023 at 12:49 AM Post #4,499 of 4,891
I think you'll like the Elegia, man. Good luck!

I am liking the sound so far! I have the 20Hz knob on the Loki cranked for EDM (was about midway on the + side for everything else), but they sound great.

I am however noticing a trend with what I try that is not super comfortable..... These and the M12s I recently tried had larger-ish round pads, and that seems to not be as comfortable for me as smaller / oval. That said, the comfort issue could be partly that I pretty much hate fuzzy earpads.

Jun 11, 2023 at 5:17 AM Post #4,500 of 4,891
I am liking the sound so far! I have the 20Hz knob on the Loki cranked for EDM (was about midway on the + side for everything else), but they sound great.

I am however noticing a trend with what I try that is not super comfortable..... These and the M12s I recently tried had larger-ish round pads, and that seems to not be as comfortable for me as smaller / oval. That said, the comfort issue could be partly that I pretty much hate fuzzy earpads.
Elegia with a bass boost are absolute fire for EDM. I preferred them to Celestee

Users who are viewing this thread

Back