Focal Elegia - what do you think?
Sep 30, 2022 at 9:53 PM Post #4,066 of 4,891
These just came in today.

I understand we all hear different, but it's difficult to fathom how many people mentioned lack of bass. Of course bass response isn't heightened, but it's all there. I don't find the LF lacking in any ways. It's quite clean and punchy with decent dynamics IMO. I tried few different EQ presets to include Oratory's, but i prefer these without EQ for now. And not sure I'd want to add more bass with the Dekoni pads people seem to prefer.

As for comfort, i feel like there's slightly more pressure below the ears compared to the Stellia. But i'm just going off of fading memory here so can't say I'm certain.

Anyways, I was expecting something super wonky, but these are fairly neutral minus the occasional upper mid bite. Not sure I would've paid $900 for these, but they're quite excellent for $329.
20220930_213305.jpg

Sep 30, 2022 at 11:46 PM Post #4,067 of 4,891

I understand we all hear different, but it's difficult to fathom how many people mentioned lack of bass. Of course bass response isn't heightened, but it's all there. I don't find the LF lacking in any ways. It's quite clean and punchy with decent dynamics IMO. I tried few different EQ presets to include Oratory's, but i prefer these without EQ for now. And not sure I'd want to add more bass with the Dekoni pads people seem to prefer.

As for comfort, i feel like there's slightly more pressure below the ears compared to the Stellia. But i'm just going off of fading memory here so can't say I'm certain.

Anyways, I was expecting something super wonky, but these are fairly neutral minus the occasional upper mid bite. Not sure I would've paid $900 for these, but they're quite excellent for $329.
20220930_213305.jpg
Pretty much my thoughts when I first got them. I DO like the Stelia pads on them for some stuff, but generally I love the sound with stock pads and no EQ at all. If the bass is called for it can get really heavy and deep.

Oct 9, 2022 at 11:21 AM Post #4,068 of 4,891
That's very interesting to hear. I think you are the first person to say such. Now there WERE people that said the regular sheepskin pads (before the limited edition Stelia pads came out) from Dekoni did just that.

As a matter of fact, the Stelia sheepskin pads were so popular for the Elegia that Dekoni brought them back; they were originally called "Limited Edition Stelia" pads, now they are back renamed to "Custom Stelia" pads. It just goes to show that the most "popular" isn't always the right choice for everyone.
I bought the sheepskin pads first and was pretty disappointed. They certainly bassed it up, but they lost the sound that I liked. Now I will likely be sitting on these sheepskins forever! :smile:

Oct 9, 2022 at 11:23 AM Post #4,069 of 4,891
I'm ready to be pelted with rocks and garbage, but here's my objection to the Elegia -- even at $350 -- besides the wonky tuning and metallic timbre: I understand some headphones need a bit of tweaking, but I can't think of another headphone that requires so many aftermarket changes to sound "good" to most people.

I think about one-tenth of the people who like Elegias in this thread enjoy them stock. Everyone else says you need to add pad X and cable Y, run them from amp Z and then burn them in for 100 hours.

I owned the Elegia for six months. I pad-swapped. I tried a different cable. The tuning was still wonky and metallic to me, especially with my preferred genres of rock and alt-country. And I often wondered, "Why am I going to all this trouble to put Band-Aids on a headphone with flawed tuning?" So, I sold them.

Go ahead: Place me in the pillory in the public square. Let the stoning or tar and feathering commence. :)
I came to the same conclusion, although it took me months to figure that out. :relaxed:

Oct 9, 2022 at 12:41 PM Post #4,070 of 4,891
I came to the same conclusion, although it took me months to figure that out. :relaxed:
I bought both the Dekoni sheepskins, and fenestrated sheepskins. The sheepskins turned the Elegia into the Radiance. The fenestrated pads remain on my phones as my favourite… neutral and musical.

Oct 9, 2022 at 12:56 PM Post #4,071 of 4,891
I bought both the Dekoni sheepskins, and fenestrated sheepskins. The sheepskins turned the Elegia into the Radiance. The fenestrated pads remain on my phones as my favourite… neutral and musical.
I have the Dekoni fenestrated sheepskins as well. But I like them better on the Elex. I don't really hear an improvement when I put them on my Elegia.

As for the metallic sound, I have never heard such a thing. But having both Elex and Elegia, I completely understand that Elex tuning is the more appealing for a vast majority of people, whereas you have to be something of a treble head or a detail freak to fully enjoy the Elegia.

Oct 20, 2022 at 3:58 PM Post #4,072 of 4,891

20220930_213305.jpg
I came here to ask opinions about the bass so this is encouraging, I'm looking for a closed back headphone a bit different from the DT770 I already use and think the Elegia would be a perfect fit judging by reviews. I'm going to give them a listen on Monday to see...

Oct 20, 2022 at 6:06 PM Post #4,073 of 4,891
I came here to ask opinions about the bass so this is encouraging, I'm looking for a closed back headphone a bit different from the DT770 I already use and think the Elegia would be a perfect fit judging by reviews. I'm going to give them a listen on Monday to see...
It all depends on what type of sound you're used to. If you're coming from something like th900 or cascade, I'm sure you'll find the bass quite lacking. Unfortunately, I don't have the DT770, so can't tell you how these compare to the DT770s. I'm very much into neutral HPs and I am less tolerant to V shaped sound these days. So always take someone else's comment with a grain of salt.

Anyways, it's not the bass quality/quantity that makes me really appreciate the Elegia. IMO, the Elegia controls unwanted resonances exceptionally well. I just mentioned the bass in my previous comment because I personally didn't find it lacking.

Oct 20, 2022 at 9:24 PM Post #4,074 of 4,891
The bass on the Elegia is like the most well-behaved smart kid in an elementary school class. That kid will stay quiet and attentive unless called upon, and when the teacher acknowledges their hand in the air, the kid just crushes the assignment or drops precocious knowledge.

Same thing with the Elegia's bass. It won't shout "LISTEN TO ME, MOTHERF*CKER!" in music that doesn't have a lot of bass, spraying sub-bass across the sonic spectrum. But when punch and slam is called upon in a track, the Elegia will kick like a pissed-off mule. It's one of the few headphones I've owned that had the tactile sense of air moving inside the driver and cup during bass slam, yet on other tracks the bass feels like a whisper.

I've never owned a headphone with this kind of bass range. It was pretty delightful once I wrapped my head around it. The Elegia was superb with EDM because of this quality, a genre I thought never would work at first listen with these cans.

Too bad the wonky midrange tuning and the metallic timbre of the midrange and treble caused me to sell these, as the bass was borderline sublime. The only headphone I've owned with as much enjoyable -- yet different -- bass is the open-back Audeze LCD-2C. That's a richer, warmer, yet controlled bass with more sub-bass and good punch and slam, but not as punchy or slammy as the Elegia.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2022 at 9:58 PM Post #4,075 of 4,891
The bass on the Elegia is like the most well-behaved smart kid in an elementary school class. That kid will stay quiet and attentive unless called upon, and when the teacher acknowledges their hand in the air, the kid just crushes the assignment or drops precocious knowledge.

Same thing with the Elegia's bass. It won't shout "LISTEN TO ME, MOTHERF*CKER!" in music that doesn't have a lot of bass, spraying sub-bass across the sonic spectrum. But when punch and slam is called upon in a track, the Elegia will kick like a pissed-off mule. It's one of the few headphones I've owned that had the tactile sense of air moving inside the driver and cup during bass slam, yet on other tracks the bass feels like a whisper.

I've never owned a headphone with this kind of bass range. It was pretty delightful once I wrapped my head around it. The Elegia was superb with EDM because of this quality, a genre I thought never would work at first listen with these cans.

Too bad the wonky midrange tuning and the metallic timbre of the midrange and treble caused me to sell these, as the bass was borderline sublime. The only headphone I've owned with as much enjoyable -- yet different -- bass is the open-back Audeze LCD-2C. That's a richer, warmer, yet controlled bass with good punch and slam, but not as punchy or slammy as the Elegia.
I also like the bass on the Elegia. But unlike you, I don't find the mid range wonky. Upper mid may be slightly pushed forward, but I personally wouldn't call it wonky. I just received the Denon D9200 today, and it is wonkier in the mids than the Elegia. Once I get adjusted to the new D9200, my perception of Elegia's mids may slightly shift, but coming from a neutral HP like the Tago T3-01 or HD600, not wonky. Also, Elegia is far less metallic sounding than the Stellia IMO. But the truth is, when judging HPs, it's "to each their own" and "everything is relative," which have become quite clear for me as of late. Anyways, I like the Elegia and I'm glad I got one for a really good price.

Oct 27, 2022 at 5:15 AM Post #4,076 of 4,891
Do Adorama have a crap tons of stock or are they still in production? Are Focal secretly still producing them?

Oct 27, 2022 at 7:09 AM Post #4,078 of 4,891
I have a feeling both Elegia and Clear ogs have been produced in the background
I think that is the case. Elegia and Clear OG at the current deal prices are an amazing value. Focal has less margin but more sales. Wondering if this will be their business model for the current range in the future. Fingers crossed for a cheaper Utopia!

Oct 27, 2022 at 8:11 AM Post #4,079 of 4,891
So I recently sold my Stellia to free up funds (necessary after purchasing the VC) but decided to repurchase the Elegia. I bloody love this headphone. To be honest it gives me a fair bit of what the Stellia provided - rich and super revealing midrange, the trademark Focal dynamic punch, really easy to drive. What I have come to appreciate now is its unique sound signature - seen as wonky by some and definitely not for everyone. But I just love the mid range on these, how they manage to be both relaxing and punchy, the bass detail and how spacious they sound for a closed back. As others have said this is a great value purchase at the current prices!

Oct 27, 2022 at 5:03 PM Post #4,080 of 4,891
Do Adorama have a crap tons of stock or are they still in production? Are Focal secretly still producing them?
Elegia has never been discontinued. Here in France, they can be bought new from many places. They come with the same cable as the Radiance now. The revision took place last year during summer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back