Focal Elegia - what do you think?
Aug 19, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #2,131 of 4,840
And did I read right earlier that Meze's cables for the 99 play nicely with these?

Aug 19, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #2,133 of 4,840
Got myself a lock down treat! Just arrived today.
The Woo Audio headphone stand is just beautiful . Nice weight to it, a stunning finish and great to be able to adjust the height. Suits the Elegia well I think! SmartSelect_20200819-141703_Gallery.jpg

I have two of those stands :p

Aug 20, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post #2,135 of 4,840
Just got mine this morning and been listening all day! I already know I'll be returning it but the sound signature is close to what I was going for so I'm glad I got to try them out at least, they just don't reach the overall/consistent quality I'm looking for. My LCD2 Classics sound better in almost every regard, but they are also double the price so I cant fault em for that. The two things these headphone do better (Most (but not all) vocals and detail retrieval) are very song dependent and Id say its about a 50/50 split for me where songs I listen to either shine on them or just sound flat. They are also quite sibilant in a lot of the songs I listen to which ultimately tells me I cant justify keeping them long term. I've already owned sibilant headphones, it will get to me eventually.

These are actually some pretty great closed back headphones for the price range though and their open like sound really impresses me. If I had a $400 budget and needed closed back, I would probably get these even with their faults. But they don't compliment my LCD2s or my music very well, so off they go. Going to listen to some music that does pair well with them for the rest of the day to appreciate what they can do and drop them off tomorrow so I can quickly continue with hunting down a compliment to my LCD2s.

Hope the rest of you folks enjoy your pairs :]!

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2020 at 6:08 PM Post #2,137 of 4,840
My stock Sundara cable worked flawlessly on the Elegia.
I got the Sundara after the Elegia, and since then, my Elegia have not had a lot of head time to be honest. Love the airiness, separation and soundstage on the Sundara. What is your experience comparing the 2?

Aug 20, 2020 at 6:17 PM Post #2,138 of 4,840
I was going to return mine after comparing with Arya. I then realized these sound good for the money. Better than HD6xx for most tracks I compared.

Heh, comparing them to Arya's seems.... excessive. I'm actually thinking of trying the Ananda's (As well as the new iBasso SR2) and thinking I may use that to compliment my LCD2C's since I wouldn't be able to afford the Aryas and I think the Anandas have to get kinda close.

Also these are definitely worth the price, agreed. If these were a bit less sibilant I probably would of kept these as my portable headphones and sold my iBasso IT01s with the FiiO Bluetooth neckband. The more I listen the more I'm impressed for the price. I would've killed for these back when I first got into audio and lived with other people and was forced into closed backs.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2020 at 9:15 PM Post #2,139 of 4,840
Been listening to the Ultrasone Edition 11. Endgame open back. They just keep getting better and better. No headphone, and I truly mean it, no headphone has made me enjoy music like the Edition 11. Yet with such great clarity and detail. Truly amazing. Now I am in search for a endgame closed back. I want to listen to the Stelia again but also have had others in mind. The Elegia is still on the list but the itch for an upgrade is there. While the Stelia is an upgrade tonaly I do prefer how the Elegia sounded from my last comparison between the two but only another listen of the Stelia can confirm this.

Aug 20, 2020 at 9:20 PM Post #2,140 of 4,840
I got the Sundara after the Elegia, and since then, my Elegia have not had a lot of head time to be honest. Love the airiness, separation and soundstage on the Sundara. What is your experience comparing the 2?
The Sundara does sound a bit airier due to being open back. Both have a different presentation to my ears. The Sundara is more mid row performance, vocals are not as near the listener, so the overall performance is a bit laid back in comparison. It sounds more delicate and more of a relax type of presentation.

The Elegia is front row presentation, I might dare say row one perspective. I feel so close to the performance, that I hear every detail since its so close in comparison. Due to this, I find the Elegia to be more exciting and more viseral. The drums , vocals, instruments are so close I can virtually touch them since I am so close to the stage it seems.

If I want a more chill/relaxing type of sound , Sundara does that for me. If i want to rock out and get a more intense sound, Elegia does that for me.

Also depends on the recording, if the recording is mic'd up very close upfront vocals, when played on the Elegia can sound too aggressive/in my face. Likewise, if the recording is mic'd up a little distant for the vocals, the Sundara can sound a bit too mellow. This is based on my gear and my ears.

Aug 20, 2020 at 10:48 PM Post #2,143 of 4,840
Been listening to the Ultrasone Edition 11. Endgame open back. They just keep getting better and better. No headphone, and I truly mean it, no headphone has made me enjoy music like the Edition 11. Yet with such great clarity and detail. Truly amazing. Now I am in search for a endgame closed back. I want to listen to the Stelia again but also have had others in mind. The Elegia is still on the list but the itch for an upgrade is there. While the Stelia is an upgrade tonaly I do prefer how the Elegia sounded from my last comparison between the two but only another listen of the Stelia can confirm this.
Not to rain on your parade, but this is the Elegia thread, not the Ultrasone Edition 11 :p You can share your appreciation of it on its own thread so others can share your enthusiasm.

If you wanted to narrow down your search for a higher end closed-back headphone and the Elegia doesn't cut it anymore from your experience, you can look up the responses here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...us-audio-technica-flagship-comparison.939901/

Aug 20, 2020 at 11:45 PM Post #2,145 of 4,840
What's a good song to test out Elegia, I should get mine tomorrow.

If you have some favorite classic rock songs where you like the lead guitar, try a couple of those. I find the forward mids presentation of the Elegia fun with electric guitar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back