Focal Elegia - what do you think?
Aug 20, 2020 at 11:56 PM Post #2,146 of 4,854
hmm maybe bass and sound stage. Thanks

My personal go-tos for bass include Kanye's 'Love Lockdown', N.E.R.D.'s 'Everybody Knows, and Cake's 'War Pigs' cover.

Soundstage includes things like Counting Crows' 'Big Yellow Taxi', Fleetwood Mac's 'The Chain', and Squirrel Nut Zippers' 'Hell'.

Aug 21, 2020 at 9:55 AM Post #2,147 of 4,854
'Plans We Made' by Son Lux is very addictive on these. Great soundstage and shows off how fast these are with bass.

Also 'Oxbow B' by Lorn will show you what the sub bass can do!

To those who have tried these out and returning it, I can say that these definitely improved a LOT from burn in. Honestly, when I first put them on I was underwhelmed even from the Momentum 2.0 I was using. After some good time with them the bass has opened up, the treble is not as harsh or sibilent and they just shine.

Just my experience.

Aug 22, 2020 at 12:54 AM Post #2,149 of 4,854
I’m going to be returning mine to Adorama. The Elegia can’t seem to lock in to a consistent sound so while it would sound amazing with one track, it would get wonky with the next one and there seemed to be no rhyme or reason as to how it might react. Ultimately I couldn’t put them on and just enjoy the music, which is a shame because with the right recording they absolutely slammed.

Aug 22, 2020 at 1:52 AM Post #2,150 of 4,854
I’m going to be returning mine to Adorama. The Elegia can’t seem to lock in to a consistent sound so while it would sound amazing with one track, it would get wonky with the next one and there seemed to be no rhyme or reason as to how it might react. Ultimately I couldn’t put them on and just enjoy the music, which is a shame because with the right recording they absolutely slammed.
I just got mine, Elegia blast through all the recommended track.
However 80's rock ELO and The Cars sounds disappointing, while The Cars performs better than the ELO.

I bet it's most likely the recording. so, that's just how the game goes.

Aug 22, 2020 at 2:18 AM Post #2,151 of 4,854
While I liked the Elegia, I sold it on eBay the same day for like a $90 loss. I thought my HD820 was better. Now I'm getting a Clear to try :p

Aug 22, 2020 at 4:55 AM Post #2,153 of 4,854
While I liked the Elegia, I sold it on eBay the same day for like a $90 loss. I thought my HD820 was better. Now I'm getting a Clear to try :p
Based on a lot of anecdotes I've seen, the Clear seems to have the more agreeable tonality and the Elegia (which was Focal's attempt at making a closed-back Clear) didn't quite hit the mark in reaching the Clear's tonality and overall presentation. Who knows, you might like the Clear. I was surprised that I did like it they're currently my daily driver :)

So the Elegia seems to be its own thing and not exactly the closed-back Clear that people like me sought after.

Aug 22, 2020 at 11:04 AM Post #2,154 of 4,854
I don't get it, in one day you don't have time for brain burn in, HP burn in if you believe in that or even a proper evaluation. To each his own, but heck, even my mood or energy affect my perception of HP from one day to another!

Aug 22, 2020 at 11:21 AM Post #2,155 of 4,854
The Elegia's stock voicing isn't my favorite but some minor tweaks to the bass and treble turn it into one that sounds excellent to my ear's preferred sonic profile. I'm not a huge fan of EQ but do feel the Elegia takes it very well and is worth playing with if someone likes the physical headphone itself but not the stock voicing.

Aug 22, 2020 at 12:44 PM Post #2,157 of 4,854
The Elegia's stock voicing isn't my favorite but some minor tweaks to the bass and treble turn it into one that sounds excellent to my ear's preferred sonic profile. I'm not a huge fan of EQ but do feel the Elegia takes it very well and is worth playing with if someone likes the physical headphone itself but not the stock voicing.
Did you bump up the 4k hz range as well? I'm using Tidal, do you know how do I eq it?

Aug 22, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #2,158 of 4,854
So these any good for classic/prog metal/rock at all ?
I like it alot as a classical; however it's different than listening classical in a concert hall.
The soundstage is like you are sitting in the middle of the performer and the instrument surrounds you. Also the soundstage is small, yet not crowded.

This is my view on classic rock
"80's rock ELO and The Cars sounds disappointing, while The Cars performs better than the ELO. "
I have read that if you eq 100-200hz and 4khz range this flaw gets better.

Aug 22, 2020 at 1:09 PM Post #2,159 of 4,854
So these any good for classic/prog metal/rock at all ?
I can say that getting stoned and listening to Pink Floyd in bed on these is a lovely experience. Have to try some Opeth next time.

Aug 22, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #2,160 of 4,854
You bought and sold the Elegia on the same day? What? Why?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back