Focal Elegia - what do you think?
Jul 13, 2020 at 10:34 PM Post #1,906 of 4,854
Yea the common flow that I find with the Ultrasone is that the price/performance ratio is often off... Especially the 5, 8/8ex, 10 (atrocious treble death) and 25 all are lacking specifically in technical performance (detail retrieval, speed, layering, and image separation) as compared to other cheaper headphones like the 800/S, Hifiman Arya, and even the Focal Clear (hell, I'd easily take my Elegia over any of them). The one I find special is the 15, which I only got to try for a very short period of time but it was quite good. Monitor-like, but good--not sure if it's $3000 good but clearly a step in the right direction.

Now, being that the Edition 11 costs far less than the others and can manage to sound close-ish to the 15s, that could be quite special indeed. I find the Ultrasone Edition line in general to be exorbitantly priced, but the 11 actually seems quite reasonable and looks a whole lot better than anything else they've made, in my opinion.
Curious to know how it pairs with the Elegia and if it can be that "Goldilocks" set in the Ultrasone line :smile: .
Well tomorrow I shall let you know 😁. But I been asking a few people for comparisons. It looks to be extremely promising 😁👍. And I do agree, I think it's the nicest looking Ultrasone to date. And maybe best performing as well. Many people have said the 15 and 11 are the best sounding and tuned but the 11 has the much better price to performance and is actually worth the asking price while the 15 is good but it would be a much better deal if priced more similar to the 11. Also people saying that the Edition 11 has a bigger soundstage, more depth, smoother treble with still great extension when compared to the 15 is already a big statement. I really enjoyed the 15 when I first heard it, but if the 11 is just as good or maybe overall better, I'll be impressed 😊

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2020 at 5:16 AM Post #1,907 of 4,854
Very true. Will be interested in what you go for as I would prefer balance also :thumbsup:
I dont have mine yet it comes Thursday
Hart audio have fair prices.

Hart Audio Prices should be a crime!!! Just got my Utopia cables in with the Multi-Kit(1) interconnects 1-6 and
a IC-7 extension - total price was $155 no tax with Shipping included... Best of all NO MICROPHONICS!!!
The Stock Elegia cables are "Microphonics City" - Been using my stock HiFiMan HE5se cables instead...
About to order a Hart Audio cable for my Elegias ($429) and a balanced cable for my Oppo PM-3...
Currently running ACG balanced in stand alone mode out of my DP-X1 for the first time with cans...:L3000:

IMG_4201.jpg

IMG_4228.jpg

IMG_4093.jpg

Jul 15, 2020 at 4:05 AM Post #1,908 of 4,854
So I recieved my Ultrasone Edition 11 today...

SOUNDSTAGE!!!! HUGE SOUNDSTAGE.

Detail. Insane detail.

Mid bass focus, intense punch. Great rumble.

Treble extension

Amazing separation.

Imaging is superb.

This might be the best Ultrasone headphone. There is still more listening needed. But for the asking price, well beyond worth it. If you can get it discounted. Do Not Hesitate. Now the tuning is slightly U shaped and lower mids are pushed back just slightly but they are still crystal clear and it gives great air to instruments to be well separated. Oh did I mention the soundstage 😯😯😯😯😯. No it's not HD800s level but damn, it's BIG!!! The depth is scary!!! And the low end just envelops you. The whole sound you hear envelops you.
20200715_175350.jpg
20200715_175319.jpg
20200715_175250.jpg
20200715_175737.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2020 at 5:34 AM Post #1,909 of 4,854
Grabbed what was likely the last cheap pair of Sine DX. Compliments the Elegias beautifully. Deep and authentic bass and decent midrange. The Elegias honestly have a little more air but the Sine DX are a nice warm presentation with brilliant imaging for an on-ear - honestly the imaging is so realistic that I got scared on some tracks where voices or hits came in the background.

Jul 15, 2020 at 7:08 AM Post #1,910 of 4,854
Grabbed what was likely the last cheap pair of Sine DX. Compliments the Elegias beautifully. Deep and authentic bass and decent midrange. The Elegias honestly have a little more air but the Sine DX are a nice warm presentation with brilliant imaging for an on-ear - honestly the imaging is so realistic that I got scared on some tracks where voices or hits came in the background.
OMG HAHA SAME!!! It has scared me a few times as well. The imaging is truly spot on, a great headphone it is. Comfort is decent though, I am planning on getting some earpads from Vesper Audio for them. Listen to some songs from Agnes Obel, the DX do amazing with her 😊👍

Jul 16, 2020 at 9:15 AM Post #1,913 of 4,854
Possibly a daft question, but I really do not know the answer...
I am thinking of getting the Ifi Zen DAC to plug into the iMac and then I can run the Elegias from the Zen DAC (Tidal Masters Streaming). Instead of using the 6.3mm unbalanced output (using the included 3.5mm tp 6.3mm adapter), I am hoping to use the balanced 4.4 connection on the Zen, so my question: Can I simply buy a 3.5mm to 4.4mm converter and then use the balanced output?
Thanks
Jon

Jul 16, 2020 at 9:59 AM Post #1,914 of 4,854
Possibly a daft question, but I really do not know the answer...
I am thinking of getting the Ifi Zen DAC to plug into the iMac and then I can run the Elegias from the Zen DAC (Tidal Masters Streaming). Instead of using the 6.3mm unbalanced output (using the included 3.5mm tp 6.3mm adapter), I am hoping to use the balanced 4.4 connection on the Zen, so my question: Can I simply buy a 3.5mm to 4.4mm converter and then use the balanced output?
Thanks
Jon

You can, but it won’t be balanced. You will get the extra power out of the balanced jack though.

4.4mm Pentaconn (BAL) 330mW@32 Ohm; 6.6V@600 Ohm; 16 Ohm - 600 Ohm Headphone 6.3mm S-BAL (SE)230mW@32 Ohm; 3.3V@600 Ohm 16 Ohm - 600 Ohm Headphone Note: Using 5v power. If powered from USB, power output may vary.

Jul 16, 2020 at 10:00 AM Post #1,915 of 4,854
You can, but it won’t be balanced. You will get the extra power out of the balanced jack though.

4.4mm Pentaconn (BAL) 330mW@32 Ohm; 6.6V@600 Ohm; 16 Ohm - 600 Ohm Headphone 6.3mm S-BAL (SE)230mW@32 Ohm; 3.3V@600 Ohm 16 Ohm - 600 Ohm Headphone Note: Using 5v power. If powered from USB, power output may vary.
Great, thanks for confirming, much appreciated.

Jul 16, 2020 at 11:27 AM Post #1,916 of 4,854
Blimey, such a complicated hobby to pursue! Looking at cables for the Elegia.
I am looking at the possibility of either:
1. Lavricables Master Silver Upgrade Cable @ approx €245 (12 cores of AWG28 (0.33mm ⌀) solid silver 5N purity wire or multistrand litz 22awg (4 core)
2. Artic Cables Ion+ Series @ approx €265 - UP-OCC (Ultra-Pure-Copper Ohno-Continuous-Cast) Litz enamel-coated wire (22 awg)
3. Forza Audioworks Noir Hybrid HPC @ approx €254 (High purity, 8 strands of 26AWG cryo 7N UPOCC copper/silver hybrid wire in semi-Litz geometry with PE insulation)

Couple of queries:
1. For the Lavricables, you have an option of 12 cores awg28 or 4 cores litz awg22 - there does not seem to be a difference in price. Any recommendations?
2. Depending on what I would be listening to, would depend on the plug; 2.5mm balanced or 4.4mm balanced. I was thinking of getting the cable made in 2.5mm balanced and then getting adapters for 3.5mm & 4.4mm. Assumedly I could get a 4.4mm and then a 4.4>2.5mm & 4.4>3.5mm converters. Does it matter which way round you convert?

And won't even go into the make of the plug; gold, copper, carbon, Rhoduim, silver plated, copper plated, gold plated, carbon fibre, carbon fibre, gold plater copper.... and any combination of the aforementioned!

Can anyone answer the 2 queries, and obviously if you have any experience with any of the cables above, your opinions would be most appreciated.
Thanks
Jon

Jul 16, 2020 at 1:20 PM Post #1,917 of 4,854
Wouldn't sweat it unless you have super hearing, the difference in sound will be 0.0001%.
Anyway it was for me when testing a friend's assortment of 150-300€ cables with my Elegia and Sundara against my 50$ meze balanced cable.
I know this is a touchy topic in the hobby, but my opinion is if you listen with your ears only it won't make a discernible enough difference.
The material of the plug? Lol
Balance vs se yes, dac and amps yes, Pads sure. But cable strands type and number nope.
Or maybe my ears are crap, which obviously my ego prevents me from admitting 😀

Jul 16, 2020 at 4:57 PM Post #1,918 of 4,854
Wouldn't sweat it unless you have super hearing, the difference in sound will be 0.0001%.
Anyway it was for me when testing a friend's assortment of 150-300€ cables with my Elegia and Sundara against my 50$ meze balanced cable.
I know this is a touchy topic in the hobby, but my opinion is if you listen with your ears only it won't make a discernible enough difference.
The material of the plug? Lol
Balance vs se yes, dac and amps yes, Pads sure. But cable strands type and number nope.
Or maybe my ears are crap, which obviously my ego prevents me from admitting 😀
Thanks, appreciate the response.

Jul 17, 2020 at 2:14 AM Post #1,919 of 4,854
Blimey, such a complicated hobby to pursue! Looking at cables for the Elegia.
I am looking at the possibility of either:
1. Lavricables Master Silver Upgrade Cable @ approx €245 (12 cores of AWG28 (0.33mm ⌀) solid silver 5N purity wire or multistrand litz 22awg (4 core)
2. Artic Cables Ion+ Series @ approx €265 - UP-OCC (Ultra-Pure-Copper Ohno-Continuous-Cast) Litz enamel-coated wire (22 awg)
3. Forza Audioworks Noir Hybrid HPC @ approx €254 (High purity, 8 strands of 26AWG cryo 7N UPOCC copper/silver hybrid wire in semi-Litz geometry with PE insulation)

Couple of queries:
1. For the Lavricables, you have an option of 12 cores awg28 or 4 cores litz awg22 - there does not seem to be a difference in price. Any recommendations?
2. Depending on what I would be listening to, would depend on the plug; 2.5mm balanced or 4.4mm balanced. I was thinking of getting the cable made in 2.5mm balanced and then getting adapters for 3.5mm & 4.4mm. Assumedly I could get a 4.4mm and then a 4.4>2.5mm & 4.4>3.5mm converters. Does it matter which way round you convert?

And won't even go into the make of the plug; gold, copper, carbon, Rhoduim, silver plated, copper plated, gold plated, carbon fibre, carbon fibre, gold plater copper.... and any combination of the aforementioned!

Can anyone answer the 2 queries, and obviously if you have any experience with any of the cables above, your opinions would be most appreciated.
Thanks
Jon
I would go with the Forzas... probably the cheapest ones, I know folks who have Forza "entry-level" copper cables with their Clears and/or 650/6xx and it looks very nice. As for sound, hmm... I can't really hear a difference but damn do they look beautiful. Honestly, <$150 isn't too crazy for something that's eye-catching and will probably last longer than your average cable, but once you get to that $300 range, the value proposition fades :sweat_smile:.

Jul 17, 2020 at 5:32 AM Post #1,920 of 4,854
I would go with the Forzas... probably the cheapest ones, I know folks who have Forza "entry-level" copper cables with their Clears and/or 650/6xx and it looks very nice. As for sound, hmm... I can't really hear a difference but damn do they look beautiful. Honestly, <$150 isn't too crazy for something that's eye-catching and will probably last longer than your average cable, but once you get to that $300 range, the value proposition fades :sweat_smile:.
Thanks for replying and appreciate the comments :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back