Focal Elegia - what do you think?
Dec 4, 2019 at 6:59 PM Post #1,291 of 4,854
This cable is 2 meters which is a little bit too long. Do you know a 4.4 mm balanced cable with a length of 1 -1.5 m ? ( 4-5 feets ) ?
And I don't want to spend more than $100 for a cable

There are a few on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/8cores-Hea...hash=item2f3466c0a2:m:mSE42oBNc94tdmcPMP1qbCA

and AliExpress: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...hweb0_0,searchweb201602_10,searchweb201603_55
#2: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...hweb0_0,searchweb201602_10,searchweb201603_55

Dec 4, 2019 at 10:53 PM Post #1,292 of 4,854
Looking for some advice---getting the Elegia delivered Tuesday--$ 450 off ebay open box from dealer.
I understand the stock cable is not very good and I want to have an upgrade cable.
Two questions---I have several DAP with 4.4 mm balanced out and 2 with just 2.5 out.
I am better getting the 4.4 or 2.5? I am thinking get the 4.4 and just use an adapter to 2.5 if need be.

I have several 4.4 adapter to 2.5---from what I understand the 4.4 is better than adapting to a 2.5---is that correct?
and...............
any recommendations on a quality cord for under $ 100? Would love to get a Moon Audio Silver Dragon but do not want to spend $ 350---

Found this on amazon and thinking it may be a good option but wanted to check with the community here before I buy anything.
https://www.amazon.com/KK-Cable-Compatible-Replacement-Headphone/dp/B0798S39HG/ref=sr_1_11_sspa?crid=3EP5TR2K6MXIE&keywords=focal+elear+replacement+cable&qid=1575119145&s=electronics&sprefix=focal+el,electronics,173&sr=1-11-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyTkhXMVQ5QTQ4SkwyJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMzUyMjI4MlMxVks3VlMwT1haRiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMTUxNjc3MVdVVUg5OElPNzU0NCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2J0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU&th=1
Thanks in advance for any help!

Hi, regarding the 2.5/4.4 I'd go with 4.4 termination now because it looks like that's where the industry is going. Most of the new DAPs coming out have 4.4 output. I also have 2.5 DAPs and when I ordered my custom cable I chose 4.4 termination and use it with a 2.5 to 4.4 adapter.

As to that cable you linked, though it looks nice I'd be wary about the headphone termination. The Elegias, I believe, use 3.5 mono headphone jacks. I'm not sure if the jacks on that cable are suitable. From Amazon you could try something like this: https://www.amazon.com/NewFantasia-....4+balanced+cable+focal&qid=1575517810&sr=8-1 or https://www.amazon.com/Balanced-AH-....4+balanced+cable+focal&qid=1575517866&sr=8-4. Though to be honest I ordered and returned that 2nd cable because I didn't like how plastic and stiff it felt. I ordered a custom cable from eBay (sky audio) which I think is much better and it was only like $50USD.

Dec 5, 2019 at 8:18 AM Post #1,293 of 4,854
Hi, regarding the 2.5/4.4 I'd go with 4.4 termination now because it looks like that's where the industry is going. Most of the new DAPs coming out have 4.4 output. I also have 2.5 DAPs and when I ordered my custom cable I chose 4.4 termination and use it with a 2.5 to 4.4 adapter.

As to that cable you linked, though it looks nice I'd be wary about the headphone termination. The Elegias, I believe, use 3.5 mono headphone jacks. I'm not sure if the jacks on that cable are suitable. From Amazon you could try something like this: https://www.amazon.com/NewFantasia-....4+balanced+cable+focal&qid=1575517810&sr=8-1 or https://www.amazon.com/Balanced-AH-....4+balanced+cable+focal&qid=1575517866&sr=8-4. Though to be honest I ordered and returned that 2nd cable because I didn't like how plastic and stiff it felt. I ordered a custom cable from eBay (sky audio) which I think is much better and it was only like $50USD.

Thank You for the input. I found a cable on ebay that looks to be of high quality and is made for the Elegia--paid a little more for it but did not want just an adequate cable--

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Arctic-Cab...var=442241795009&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Will report back when it arrives---hoping it will be pliable and increase sound quality.
Enjoying the Elegia---had the Utopia and sold as I did not like the too bright high end, hoping these suit my preferences better.

Dec 5, 2019 at 8:44 AM Post #1,294 of 4,854
Thank You for the input. I found a cable on ebay that looks to be of high quality and is made for the Elegia--paid a little more for it but did not want just an adequate cable--

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Arctic-Cables-Custom-OFC-Cable-for-Focal-Clear-Elear-Elex-Elegia-Stellia/143201856243?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=442241795009&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Will report back when it arrives---hoping it will be pliable and increase sound quality.
Enjoying the Elegia---had the Utopia and sold as I did not like the too bright high end, hoping these suit my preferences better.
Looking forward to your impressions. I do remember considering the Artic cables, seemed like a good product.

Dec 5, 2019 at 9:24 AM Post #1,295 of 4,854

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Arctic-Cables-Custom-OFC-Cable-for-Focal-Clear-Elear-Elex-Elegia-Stellia/143201856243?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=442241795009&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

There are two versions: 4-wire and 8-wire and the 8-wire costs more. Any difference at all ?

Dec 5, 2019 at 12:19 PM Post #1,296 of 4,854
There are two versions: 4-wire and 8-wire and the 8-wire costs more. Any difference at all ?

From ebay description by manufacturer--

The 4-wire cable type is made out of 4 conductors, and the 8-wire type is made out of 8 conductors.
Sound-wise, the 8-wire cable adds a bit more body and resolution.

I ordered the 4 wire--cost of $ 95 with tax--the 8 wire was going to be about $ 140------
1.5 m with 4.4mm TRRRS Pentaconn Balanced---hoping to receive it in a week or so, will post a impression of its quality and performance.
It does not look to be too rigid--I hate stiff cables---so annoying and uncomfortable to use.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #1,297 of 4,854
From the manufacturers website---

Arctic Cables brings you the best deals in custom cables, from excellent OFC cables,
up to a reference-grade top-of-the-line UP-OCC copper and silver cables.

Our custom cables are made from some of the best wire manufacturers on the market, such as Neotech,
Furutech, Cardas, Van Den Hul, Mogami, and more.
Additionally, we offer our own customized UP-OCC
Litz Type-6 copper and silver cables.

Our cables are 100% handcrafted, just like a piece of expensive jewelry.
We use the best materials and equipment to build our high-end custom cables.

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Our custom designed OFC cable is based on the Mogami Neglex-Quad High-Definition wire,
which is
one of the best 4-conductor OFC wire on the market for its price.

Our OFC cables are durable, flexible, soft, comfortable, and has very low microphonics (self-noise).
These attributes were achieved by removing their thick PVC jacket, and wrapping them instead with
our much softer and flexible high-quality cable sleeves.

This cable also offers excellent immunity against RFI/EMI thanks to its dense braiding
"star-quad"
configuration.
In terms of sound this cable presents a clear improvement over stock cables
We have noticed improvements in bass extension and bass texture, better resolution, better
imaging, enhanced separation, increased depth, lifelike vocals, and broader sound stage.
PRODUCT FEATURES
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Ultra low capacitance
Dense "Star-Quad" braiding to avoid interference noise
Durable, soft, low microphonics cable sleeves with excellent flexibility and comfort
High-quality Neutrik / Furutech connectors
Terminated with Cardas Silver-Quad-Eutectic solder wire

"Neutrik 4-Pin XLR + 1/4" Adapter" comes as a set made with the same wire type
and color for an additional $29.99
All of the connectors and wire spools are purchased from authorized dealers or directly from the
manufacturer and are 100% genuine.

THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN 4-WIRE AND 8-WIRE

The 4-wire cable type is made out of 4 conductors, and the 8-wire type is made out of 8 conductors.

PERSONALIZE YOUR CABLE

Choose the length, color, termination, and more. We have dozens of different
options to choose from. If you have any special requests, do not hesitate to let us know!

THE DEFAULT COLOR IS BLACK
(please leave us a note at checkout about your color choice)

SERVICE AND WARRANTY

Customer satisfaction is our highest priority. We will do anything to exceed our customer’s expectations.

All of our cables come with a lifetime warranty!

ESTIMATED BUILD TIME FOR NEW ORDERS

Our custom cables are 100% handcrafted.

We also burn-in our custom cables for a few hours, after which they are tested

for their sound using the matching headphones from our headphone inventory.

This ensures that every cable that leaves our workshop is in perfect working condition.

All custom cables are made-to-order. Our lead time is usually 5~12 business days.

(Average build time for custom-made cables).

When a product is built to order specifically for you and is not an off-shelf, mass-produced product, it also adds a certain uniqueness to it. We are confident that you will find your new custom cable stunning in terms of sound, looks, and comfort, and that it was well worth the wait.

Dec 5, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #1,298 of 4,854
From ebay description by manufacturer--

I ordered the 4 wire--cost of $ 95 with tax--the 8 wire was going to be about $ 140------
1.5 m with 4.4mm TRRRS Pentaconn Balanced---hoping to receive it in a week or so, will post a impression of its quality and performance.
It does not look to be too rigid--I hate stiff cables---so annoying and uncomfortable to use.

I've just ordered it. Thanks for the help.

Dec 5, 2019 at 12:44 PM Post #1,299 of 4,854
I think it will be good---one thing that really jumped out at me and sealed the deal--from the description page--

"Customer satisfaction is our highest priority. We will do anything to exceed our customer’s expectations.

All of our cables come with a lifetime warranty!"

You can't beat that. Hopefully it will be a nice upgrade.
The price is reasonable---considering Moon Audio Silver Dragon is $ 350!

Dec 5, 2019 at 8:00 PM Post #1,300 of 4,854
It’s been a day and I’m outside a restaurant waiting to my party and so I finally got a chance to unbox and get a first listen ... in my car using my dongle and iPhone... and I must say these are the best closed cans I have. Nice!

89E40E79-309B-4706-82E1-A3217F35AF11.jpeg

Dec 5, 2019 at 9:27 PM Post #1,301 of 4,854
It’s been a day and I’m outside a restaurant waiting to my party and so I finally got a chance to unbox and get a first listen ... in my car using my dongle and iPhone... and I must say these are the best closed cans I have. Nice!

I am excited to hear more of your impressions on these headphones! These have been a click away from purchase several times in the last few months, I just don't need closed headphones.

Dec 9, 2019 at 3:43 PM Post #1,302 of 4,854
New to the Eligia. Just arrived about a week ago and have been listening, burning them in, listening on different devices, etc.
First impression straight out of the box; plugged into my Luxman amp. These suck big time. Nasal, no highs. They're going back!
Second impression; plugged into my Onkyo, then iBasso, then Hidizs... OMG, these are amazing!
Third impression; plugged into my Luxman DAC. Very, very good.

Very compelling sound out of DAPs, but not so much out of high power sources.
Keepers, for sure. Bought the Dragon Black from Moon. Much better sound than the stock cable... and by 'much better', I mean even less nasal, and it's a bit more punchy. But the cable is stiff AF and a real pain in the ass to deal with. Might sell and look for a soft, pliable cable (like the Arctic above?). Not sure.

These are a commuters dream HP. Very pleased.

Cheers

Dec 10, 2019 at 9:22 AM Post #1,303 of 4,854
New to the Eligia. Just arrived about a week ago and have been listening, burning them in, listening on different devices, etc.
First impression straight out of the box; plugged into my Luxman amp. These suck big time. Nasal, no highs. They're going back!
Second impression; plugged into my Onkyo, then iBasso, then Hidizs... OMG, these are amazing!
Third impression; plugged into my Luxman DAC. Very, very good.

Very compelling sound out of DAPs, but not so much out of high power sources.
Keepers, for sure. Bought the Dragon Black from Moon. Much better sound than the stock cable... and by 'much better', I mean even less nasal, and it's a bit more punchy. But the cable is stiff AF and a real pain in the ass to deal with. Might sell and look for a soft, pliable cable (like the Arctic above?). Not sure.

These are a commuters dream HP. Very pleased.

Cheers
How is your commute with these? Between the crap weather and managing a (crap) cable along with my messenger bag, I'm way too scared to try it.

I also got mine last week. I go back and forth on the sound. I listen to more rock and metal stuff, particularly 80s metal, and most of that stuff sounds nasally and thin anyway. And I use Google Music at work because our streaming options here are limited. But I had a real sublime moment listening to Queen's A Day at the Races the other day through a Dragonfly Red on my home laptop. Some songs remind me that I'm listening to a closed back pair (I come from the HD650). But others give me the sense of space I came to love with the 650s.

Dec 10, 2019 at 2:12 PM Post #1,305 of 4,854
Tested out the Elegia with Sony PHA-3 and Chord Mojo. Loved it. I'll be selling some of my stuff though. Tinnitus has gotten worse. Taken all the passion and fun out of music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back