Focal Elegia - what do you think?
Dec 19, 2019 at 2:52 PM Post #1,321 of 4,854
I just picked up the Focal Elegia, What an interesting set of headphones and frankly it takes a couple days to really appreciate. And one definitely needs something other an a mobile phone to get the best out of them. I’m using mine with an Hiby R6 the tone is substantial better.

One thing about these headphones you get and excellent representation of what was intended in the mix/master process Bass, Mids Highs all there. Detail dynamics separation is terrific.

One thing there not as portable as your typical closed back headphones the case is pretty large. But I’d definitely backpack them for flights. And longer day trips.

Finally I’ve read a couple comments on weak bass I disagree it’s all there including sub bass. Haven’t said that when it comes to heavily compressed music the bass doesn’t slam as hard as some other headphones.
But the separation is so good it more than makes up for any perceived deficiencies.

Personally these are a Joy to listen to it definitely takes a couple days to find ones comfort level. once there it will reproduce pretty much any era of music.

Hope this helps and as always audio opinions are subjective and should be taken as such. Get out and enjoy the music

Jan 5, 2020 at 8:04 PM Post #1,323 of 4,854
New to the Eligia. Just arrived about a week ago and have been listening, burning them in, listening on different devices, etc.

I see you have both the Elegia and the Fostex X00s. Any preference between the two? I know they're significantly different headphones, but...

I'm looking for something closed back to listen to alt rock/rock/classic rock at work and what something that has some solid mid-bass / bass for the rhythm section. Last I tried the Elegia, it was anemic in the mid-bass. Throwing a Loki at it helped, but still not quite there. However, if I went with the Fostex X00s (probably Ebonys), I'd probably need to do a pad swap, etc.

Jan 6, 2020 at 12:14 AM Post #1,324 of 4,854
I see you have both the Elegia and the Fostex X00s. Any preference between the two? I know they're significantly different headphones, but...

I'm looking for something closed back to listen to alt rock/rock/classic rock at work and what something that has some solid mid-bass / bass for the rhythm section. Last I tried the Elegia, it was anemic in the mid-bass. Throwing a Loki at it helped, but still not quite there. However, if I went with the Fostex X00s (probably Ebonys), I'd probably need to do a pad swap, etc.

Significantly different... is an understatement. The Fostex, like my Dennon's are very clean and natural sounding. Other than slightly elevated brightness (to some ears), these two are my go-to cans for detail and natural timber. They also have better bass depth and strength. They are pretty transparent to the recordings.

The Eligia is an acquired taste that I'm not sure I've quite acquired. They are very coloured. Some things sound amazing! Some things sound pretty terrible. I've been editing all day with the Fostex on, and just about an hour ago threw on the Elegia. Ugh... they sound cupped and nasal and rolled off on both ends of the spectrum, like an upside-down U. So why will I keep them? Because they make some things sound wonderful. Some classical recordings sound particularly good. Some, but not a lot of Jazz and Rock sound good. They are recording and cartridge specific (better with my AT's than my Hana SL). Some vocals sound good, others sound like something is missing. I'd love to see a curve of what these output. My guess is there is a dip somewhere (near 1k?) that causes some things to sound just plain dead, and some voices to sound distant and non-direct.

But when they are good, they are mighty. And they are comfortable. But watch out for cable microphonics. The original cable, for all people complain about it, is much LESS microphonic than the Moon Dragon I bought for them. Also, I really don't think the Dragon is a good match. I'm hopeful the Arctic cable I ordered is better in both departments.

Jan 6, 2020 at 2:18 AM Post #1,325 of 4,854
The Elegia have a rather significant dip in the 3-4kHz region that make treble sound dull and muffled compared to headphones that don’t exhibit the same trait. I got rid of it by EQing to the Harman Target Curve using oratory1990’s settings and never looked back.

Jan 6, 2020 at 11:04 AM Post #1,326 of 4,854
Significantly different... is an understatement. The Fostex, like my Dennon's are very clean and natural sounding. Other than slightly elevated brightness (to some ears), these two are my go-to cans for detail and natural timber. They also have better bass depth and strength. They are pretty transparent to the recordings.

The Eligia is an acquired taste that I'm not sure I've quite acquired. They are very coloured. Some things sound amazing! Some things sound pretty terrible. I've been editing all day with the Fostex on, and just about an hour ago threw on the Elegia. Ugh... they sound cupped and nasal and rolled off on both ends of the spectrum, like an upside-down U. So why will I keep them? Because they make some things sound wonderful. Some classical recordings sound particularly good. Some, but not a lot of Jazz and Rock sound good. They are recording and cartridge specific (better with my AT's than my Hana SL). Some vocals sound good, others sound like something is missing. I'd love to see a curve of what these output. My guess is there is a dip somewhere (near 1k?) that causes some things to sound just plain dead, and some voices to sound distant and non-direct.

But when they are good, they are mighty. And they are comfortable. But watch out for cable microphonics. The original cable, for all people complain about it, is much LESS microphonic than the Moon Dragon I bought for them. Also, I really don't think the Dragon is a good match. I'm hopeful the Arctic cable I ordered is better in both departments.

Sorry... one more thing.
They are very source dependent as well. They sound very different from the various sources I have, but sound best out of my Onkyo DAP, and worst out of my Luxman amp.

And 3-4khz...?
Sure, that makes sense. I'll try that boost and see how it fares. Thanks

Jan 6, 2020 at 11:37 AM Post #1,327 of 4,854
The Elegia have a rather significant dip in the 3-4kHz region that make treble sound dull and muffled compared to headphones that don’t exhibit the same trait. I got rid of it by EQing to the Harman Target Curve using oratory1990’s settings and never looked back.
Could you repost those settings? Trying to hunt them down....

Jan 6, 2020 at 5:36 PM Post #1,328 of 4,854
Could you repost those settings? Trying to hunt them down....

oratory1990's graphs and settings can be found here.

You can see the treble dips in the first graph, which shows the unadjusted frequency response. EQ settings are at the bottom of the PDF. They can be used with any parametric equalizer; oratory1990 recommends Peace GUI for Equalizer APO. They also work well with the Waves Q10 Paragraphic EQ plugin, which I'm using with Audirvana.

Alternatively, AutoEQ has settings for the Elegia based on oratory1990's measurements. They offer a version to use with less customizable equalizers as well, and there's one that can be used with HeSuVi.

It's worth noting that I compared oratory1990's settings with AutoEQ's and the latter sounded markedly more bass light than the former.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #1,329 of 4,854
Two quick things.
1) Arctic Cable rocks! Lightweight, zero microphonics, great sound. First rate build quality. Thanks so much for the suggestion.
2) I employed the oratory1990 EQ settings (more or less), and it's a HUGE improvement. Thanks for this too!!

Jan 9, 2020 at 1:12 AM Post #1,332 of 4,854
This is pretty tough. They're both pretty similar.

AFC is one of the most comfortable earphones I've had.

Aeon Flow closed are a bit more forgiving and better all rounders because of that. BUT AFC are much harder to drive and you need amps with muscle to run them.

Both are lean in the bass quantity but not quality.

It comes down to what equipment you already have and what music you listen to and your sources.

Jan 13, 2020 at 9:55 AM Post #1,333 of 4,854
Just got my Elegias in yesterday - I really enjoyed them probably moreso than the Clears when I heard them at an audio shop a couple months back. From memory I think they do sound more detailed and richer than the Elears which were airy but shouty with its upper mid range. The bass on these actually don't bother me but sometimes I wish you would get the dynamic impact of the Elears or the Utopias on these. It's hard to describe their sound other than mid foward neutral - their highs are unoffensive, the upper bass is correct just tilted down a bit and they don't sound dry or boring. They get loud quick, are not amp picky - it's hard to find any fault with these at all. I'm quite enjoying them a lot. Part of me wonders if I should just get a Loki and raise 3k by 2b and the 100-200hz range by a little bit as well to even them out a little or I should try to tweak their sounds with a different amp. I'm thinking of either the Mjolnir 2, Auris Nirvana or Feliks Euphoria. Maybe the GSX mini as well?

Jan 17, 2020 at 9:09 PM Post #1,334 of 4,854
Hi all.
About the bass. I replaced the stock ear pads on DEKONI ELITE SHEEPSKIN PAD( Important! No perforation!) The low frequency response has improved significantly. Give it a try. With these ear pads, the original tonal balance is maintained, but with more massive bass frequencies.

I tried them and did extensive back and forth testing and I have to disagree. The midbass definitely improves but you lose some clarity in the subbass, it also adds its own additional warmth which muddies clarity in the mids and smooths them over a bit too much. You get a sound character similar to the Eikon which for me is not what I was looking for. The beauty of these is their clarity and amazing detail at their price point able to compete with more expensive open backs. They’re pretty good pads and are comfortable and cool but I think they tilt the sound characteristic too warm.

Jan 17, 2020 at 11:26 PM Post #1,335 of 4,854
What is the issue with the bass on the Elegia? It’s punchy clear and it doesn’t smear into the other frequency especially the mid frequencies. I do recommend a proper gain structure not uncomfortably loud per say. But loud enough if you were on an airplane the noise wouldn’t be a distraction and you can focus on your music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back