Focal Elegia - what do you think?
Nov 5, 2018 at 10:46 PM Post #481 of 4,840
Music creators set is $1299 and then the carbon fiber band for another $200 to make things more comfortable and a little less heavy but they are still heavy.

For sound though it’s a huge difference for in home listening in a noisy environment and well worth just the extra $400 for XC with no case. I do still stand by my previous opinion about the Finals, at $600 plus tax they are great sounding but the fit and form just killed it for me.

Hehe. That's still quite a bit for me to spend. I got the Focal Elegia at a discounted price. I dont have any regrets with the purchase at all at the price I got it for, yet. They are a step up from my Audeze Sine I was using as my portable/work headphone. I wish they were as small.

Nov 5, 2018 at 10:51 PM Post #482 of 4,840
Hehe. That's still quite a bit for me to spend. I got the Focal Elegia at a discounted price. I dont have any regrets with the purchase at all at the price I got it for, yet. They are a step up from my Audeze Sine I was using as my portable/work headphone. I wish they were as small.

To be honest as you can imagine I wanted the EL-8 titanium but Audeze stopped producing them, perhaps because of their large investment in the Mobius, but either way I am happy with the Elegia for what I bought them for. For what I bought them for they fit the billl, a portable option, but I just can’t recommend them for in home dedicated sessions.

Nov 5, 2018 at 11:04 PM Post #483 of 4,840
To be honest as you can imagine I wanted the EL-8 titanium but Audeze stopped producing them, perhaps because of their large investment in the Mobius, but either way I am happy with the Elegia for what I bought them for. For what I bought them for they fit the billl, a portable option, but I just can’t recommend them for in home dedicated sessions.

I use Elex/HE560 or my CIEMs at home, so I'm pretty set for now. I prefer open-back headphones whenever possible.

You can still find the EL-8 at various stores, and they sell quite low for used.

The Mobius was a pretty good new offering for them. I got the Indiegogo price and thought it was well worth that price. I ended up selling it because I didnt have a real need for them, but thought they sounded what they were offering.

Nov 5, 2018 at 11:14 PM Post #484 of 4,840
I use Elex/HE560 or my CIEMs at home, so I'm pretty set for now. I prefer open-back headphones whenever possible.

You can still find the EL-8 at various stores, and they sell quite low for used.

The Mobius was a pretty good new offering for them. I got the Indiegogo price and thought it was well worth that price. I ended up selling it because I didnt have a real need for them, but thought they sounded what they were offering.

With a 2 year son my open back days seem long gone, just as my 6 mirage OMD-28 and my OMD-C2 only get used for paw patrol on the home theater front.

Nov 6, 2018 at 5:39 AM Post #486 of 4,840
The challenge for me was a portable set, the Elegia fit the bill for comfort, drivability, style and sound, as for someone who wants a closed set for home listening I could not recommend the Elegia at this price point. On the go the Elegia are my go to, for in the house listening the Audeze LCD-XC are much more my personal preference with an amp.
fine. "different strokes for different folks" as they say.

Nov 6, 2018 at 7:03 AM Post #487 of 4,840
The HD 820 is a worse headphone than the Elegia so I don’t see how Sennheiser can make a better headphone than Focal for a lower price than $899.

The Focal Elegia is priced very good as it is better than the Aeon Closed. But don’t expect the performance of the Utopia ofcourse.

Also considering that some $2100 closed headphones like the Sony Z1R has a huge peak somewhere and the Elegia doesn’t, it is more than fairly priced at $899.
HD630vb at half the price or second hand HD250. Maybe?!? But I suppose they don't cost enough to be considered any good!

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2018 at 9:34 AM Post #488 of 4,840
As some (including myself at one point) have been asking about alternative cables for the Elegia, I can heartily recommend the Beyerdynamics cable for their T1/T5 cans that others have been mentioning already. Just got mine and there is a significant difference in microphonics (as in, I don't even think about it now) as well as much more flexible. Quality cable, with professional grade finish, and a better length (1.4 m is what I got) for desktop use. The great flexibility also means it actually feels much more suitable for mobile use also.

Nov 7, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #490 of 4,840
One thing I noticed this morning, listening to the Elegia is that I am typically listening at around 70-80dB and it's pretty good at that volume. When I raise it up to 85-90dB, things start to get a bit weird, which makes sense since it's a closed back.

Nov 7, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #491 of 4,840
Seeing all these used Clears on sale for the SAME PRICE makes me tempted to sell my Elegia and upgrade...

One thing I noticed this morning, listening to the Elegia is that I am typically listening at around 70-80dB and it's pretty good at that volume. When I raise it up to 85-90dB, things start to get a bit weird, which makes sense since it's a closed back.

I find it best to set the volume based on the mids, since they are pretty forward. Turning it up can make them passively(?) fatiguing, especially due to their smoother nature.

Nov 7, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #492 of 4,840
Seeing all these used Clears on sale for the SAME PRICE makes me tempted to sell my Elegia and upgrade...

I find it best to set the volume based on the mids, since they are pretty forward. Turning it up can make them passively(?) fatiguing, especially due to their smoother nature.

Yea. I just wanted to experiment around this morning based on some of the negatives, I've read about this headphone.

Nov 8, 2018 at 2:14 PM Post #494 of 4,840
Finally got my Elegia yesterday!
Build quality/comfort/fit: Pretty much the same build quality between the two. Elegia is lighter, have more clamping force and is more stable on my head. The pads are maybe a bit more comfy on the Elegia. Elegia is tad bit easier to drive than the Clear (10 o’clock vs 12 o’clock for the Clear on my Schiit Jotunheim – low gain).

How much less clamp does the Focal Clear have? Do you think it's more comfortable, or is the difference negligible?

I might actually return/sell my Elegia's. The comfort is not cutting it for me. I'm cursing my own jaw problems, but nothing I can do about it... I may have to stick with IEMs, unless something else comes out with comfort similar to my Z1R.

Nov 8, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #495 of 4,840
How much less clamp does the Focal Clear have? Do you think it's more comfortable, or is the difference negligible?

I might actually return/sell my Elegia's. The comfort is not cutting it for me. I'm cursing my own jaw problems, but nothing I can do about it... I may have to stick with IEMs, unless something else comes out with comfort similar to my Z1R.

Hard to say in words, but the clamping force of the Elegia is noticeably higher vs the Clear (my head is smaller than average and it is quite noticeable). The pads are soft enough, but they put a significant pressure on my jawbones too due to the clamping force.
Maybe there is a way to squeeze the headband to loosen it a bit.

The Clear puts pressure on the same jawbone zone, but in a much more comfortable way since the fit is much more loose. But honestly, the level of comfort of the Clear is far below the Z1R in my opinion...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back