Focal Elegia - what do you think?
Nov 12, 2018 at 5:46 PM Post #511 of 4,840
I've been using a null audio custom cable terminating with a balanced 2.5mm for a few weeks now and it makes listening to these a pleasure compared to the stock cable that was like wearing a plasti dipped shirt. Imo it sounds a little better with the hiby r6, the balanced power makes a noticable difference for me.

Nov 12, 2018 at 6:55 PM Post #513 of 4,840
I’m using the idsd Black Label dac/amp.

You only have a single ended option on that if I remember correctly. I’m not 100% sure on that one. We’re talking about a brand I don’t sell and can’t comment further on it to avoid violating the rules of headfi

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Nov 12, 2018 at 6:59 PM Post #515 of 4,840
misspoken :)

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2018 at 7:23 PM Post #516 of 4,840
First impressions after an hour listening. MORE bass than the Clear, I think people who said it had less bass, probably did not have the pads clicked in correctly. It's not a subtle amount more. Can't understand people who say it is thin sounding. I tested against the AFO and that one is thin sounding in comparison. Also tested against my Z7, and obviously that has more bass (i.e. too much), but the Elegia' s bass quality is much better. If you switch from the Elegia, the Z7 sounds as if you put a loudspeaker into a bathtub. Very discombobulated vs the Elegia. For me the Elegia has the right amount of bass for many genres. For others I prefer the slighty more tamed bass of the Clear.

Is it better than the Clear? Absolutely not, but then that could not be expected, given price point and construction. The Clear is better defined in all frequencies, and resolves better. But the Elegia comes closer that I thought. Same tonal balance, except more bass (very textured and deep, only minimal bleed into mids with some songs) and a bit less resolving. Distortions due to reflections in the closed cup are there, but much, much less than with most other headphones. Soundstage is just slightly smaller then the Clear (if that's your first priority, you should not look to Focal anyway). The dynamism is the same as the Clear has. Very punchy.

Do I keep it? Hell yeah. It hasn't even burned in yet, but it is by far the best closed headphone I have listened to to date. Contenders are the HD820, although I believe it won't be for me. Other than that, the new AH-D9200, that got a lot of praise. Curious if it can beat the Elegia.

Sold my AFC. Great headphone, better highs than Elegia, but bottomline, it can't compete with it.

Can you please tell us a bit more about your impressions about the Elegia vs the AFC?
I'm very curious since it seems to be a very good matchup (and since I've never listen to the AFC)...

Nov 12, 2018 at 7:44 PM Post #520 of 4,840
just got a balanced cable in the mail for my elegia. balanced cable improved the soundstage for me. better seperation. This honestly does not sound like a closed headphone AT ALL with balanced cables.

Listening to the Elegia through my Jot with Clear's balanced 4-pin cable, definitely improves the sound :darthsmile:

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2018 at 7:45 PM Post #521 of 4,840
Nov 12, 2018 at 8:22 PM Post #522 of 4,840
I’m using the idsd Black Label dac/amp.

The Ifi Xcan is a pretty good option for portable use so far in my opinion. Mine is still under 50 hours and little by little getting better. Running balanced out from an Astell & Kern A&norma to a balanced cable to the Elegia. First few hours were a bit harsh but it is smoothing out. I imagine when the IFI has time to warm up it will be good to use with my Kann for my Hi-Res music that the A&norma can’t play native.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2018 at 9:03 PM Post #523 of 4,840
Last edited:
Nov 12, 2018 at 9:41 PM Post #524 of 4,840
Oh okay, I refrain my comment. It does use the seldom used 3.5mm balanced connection.

I don’t think the S-Balanced counts, but that’s just me.

I just sold an ifi IDSD nano BL and the IEM match or S-balanced was not really the same as the 4 pole balanced 2.5mm that the new Xcan offers. Even if I switch up cables on the Xcan there is a noticeable difference, to me, but again it’s all subjective, different strokes for different folks and all the other terms to explain that we all hear what we want and to hell with science.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2018 at 5:43 PM Post #525 of 4,840
Mine have now about 85-90 hours of burn-in and man, they've change a lot!!!
The bass is now more present, somehow meaty and punchy. It leads to a better tonal balance in general. The mids are now sounding more coherent, less upfront and disconnected with the bass and the treble.
I also doesn't hearing the small resonance from some vocals anymore :dt880smile:

I highly recommend people to be patient before judging them...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back