Focal Elegia - what do you think?
Oct 31, 2018 at 4:58 PM Post #439 of 4,840
go to the "Auralic Owners Unite" thread, and take a look at the output graph of the Auralic Taurus.
Oh I believe you, I’ve seen the specs, just never seen that before in an amp. It’s as if the graphs are flipped at 32 ohms and flipped again at 110 ohms. In any case even balanced the Taurus delivers far more power than the Elegia will ever use. Your volume pot must be constantly near 9 o’clock! :p

Oct 31, 2018 at 5:48 PM Post #440 of 4,840
Can you talk about this a bit more? I'm planning to sell my Aeons and get the Elegias because the Aeons press on my jaw and cause pain after not very long. If the Elegia causes a similar problem, I'll need to make a different plan.

To elaborate, I have TMJ and noticeable swelling issues on the right side of my jaw. Certain headphones whose cups are small enough seem to press on this area and cause discomfort (and maybe pain) if left there long enough. At least that's what I think, since my Z1R doesn't do this. Elegia also has a slight clamp right out of the box.

Edit: Then again, the NightOwl didn't give me this issue and it had small cups... Maybe if I just work on lightening the clamp, I can resolve it. I REALLY like these headphones, and would hate to get rid of it because of this.

Nov 1, 2018 at 1:38 AM Post #442 of 4,840
Quick note: so far the Elegias pair beautifully with the XDUOO TA-10. Now have around 25-30 hours on the pair. Best word to describe the overall sound is “smooth”. Listening now to Phoebe Snow and her vocals are close to perfection.

Nov 1, 2018 at 6:41 AM Post #443 of 4,840
Quick note: so far the Elegias pair beautifully with the XDUOO TA-10. Now have around 25-30 hours on the pair. Best word to describe the overall sound is “smooth”. Listening now to Phoebe Snow and her vocals are close to perfection.

So far, the Elegia has paired beautifully with anything I’ve thrown at it, be it Mojo, WM1A, HDV820, etc.

Nov 1, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #444 of 4,840
Couple notes. I’m right listening to T Dream using the Coax out of my FIIO X5 iii into my CityPulse DAC. Again, the Elegias are responding very nicely. This particular track (Force Majeur) has plenty of mids and highs. Both are represented very well (no EQ).

A note about the 3rd party cables. (Arctic Cables). Very well constructed. A bit stiff but nothing like the stock cables. The section above the split is fabric wrapped so there are some microphonics, but not too bad and not really noticeable once music begins. But I am going to send a polite note to the vendor

Finally, I sent a comment to Focal a few weeks ago through their customer service link. Crickets.

Nov 1, 2018 at 3:11 PM Post #445 of 4,840
05E0BBF2-3199-4215-8B74-A6AD164B712E.jpeg The Elegia had his first trip with me, 9500km from Paris to the Reunion Island to follow me in my honeymoon, it sounds as good in the south hemisphere :p

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2018 at 5:35 PM Post #446 of 4,840
The Elegia had his first trip with me, 9500km from Paris to the Reunion Island to follow me in my honeymoon, it sounds as good in the south hemisphere :p
I mean, I can see why... but it is still a bit early for me to marry my Elegia. I'll give my current wife a shot to keep it together until X-mas at least (no new mobile amp and it is over!).

Nov 3, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #447 of 4,840
Finally got my Elegia yesterday!
Here are my first impressions with the Elegia (after only one night of burn in), in comparison with the Clear:

Build quality/comfort/fit: Pretty much the same build quality between the two. Elegia is lighter, have more clamping force and is more stable on my head. The pads are maybe a bit more comfy on the Elegia. Elegia is tad bit easier to drive than the Clear (10 o’clock vs 12 o’clock for the Clear on my Schiit Jotunheim – low gain).

Sound signature: First thing I’ve noticed, the Elegia is way more forward in the midrange (I’m ok with it, since I’m a midrange guy J). This makes the Clear to have a better tonal balance (the Clear is hard to beat in terms of tonal balance anyway...). So, with the Elegia, you have the mids upfront (vocals, guitars, etc.), then the highs and the bass a little bit more laid back in the mix. The Elegia doesn’t have the same crazy accuracy and resolution of the Clear (Elegia sound more smooth and a bit more lush). The overall signature of the Elegia is a bit more inviting, more intimate, but less even, dry and somewhat “analytical” than the Clear (I don’t like the word “analytical” since the Clear are not sounding truly analytical to me). The HD800’s treble is sounding analytical for me. The Elegia have an overall fuller sound than the Clear, but it’s definitely not a very forgiving, warmish or veiled sounding headphone though.

Bass: Elegia have the same kind of accurate, fast and thight bass than the Clear, but with a tad less presence and impact. Maybe the forwardness of the mids contributes to shadowing the bass (maybe), but for my ears, the Clear delivers more bass presence and more impact, especially in the sub-bass region. Elegia is not miles from the Clear though (it is more neutral IMO). They’re both similar in terms of extension, maybe the Clear have a slight better extension in the sub-bass. Both are definitely not for bassheads anyway. EDIT: After several hours of burn-in, the Elegia have a slightly punchier bass and dynamics than the Clear. The burn-in has improved significantly the Elegia,s dynamic rumble and bass punch (but again, it still shares the same DNA as the Clear).

Midrange: As previously said the mids are significantly more forward and “in your face” on the Elegia, but not in a shouty way though. I’ve noticed no sibilance, even from songs with powerful female voices. Elegia have good presence and are more intimate, but they lack some of the resolution, refinement and the micro details of the Clear. The mids of the Clear also have significantly more air (no big surprise there). Elegia’s mids are miles away from the congested mids of most of the closed-back headphones I’ve heard. Vocals, guitars, violins, saxophones, pianos are sounding accurately realistic, clear, airy and quite present. Maybe a slight more resonance from male vocals on some tracks with the Elegia (nitpicking there), but overall, it’s a true closed-back delight for the midrange lovers!

Treble: Quite natural and a tiny bit more laid-back than the Clear. The Clear have that subtle smart edge which I don’t hear trough the Elegia, but again, It’s not miles away from the Clear. Elegia have pretty good accurate and airy highs. As for the bass, both have similar extension in the highs. No papery or splashy highs there. Quite impressive for a closed-back HP...

Dynamics: The Clear have the edge there for the macro and the micro dynamics. But don’t take me wrong, the Elegia have the typical and impressive dynamics of the Focal’s house sound, but not in the same crazy way than the Clear. Very engaging and inviting. The kick drums, wow!

Soundstage: I’m not the best to describe soundstage L but my ears tell me that they’re relatively similar in terms of width and depth. Maybe the Elegia have a slight edge in terms of height and depth, then the Clear in terms of width, but they’re pretty similar in their stage presentation (relatively narrow stage, very good imaging, etc.). Definitely not the wider presentation there. It’s in line with the Focal’s typical presentation (not bad, just different than some other HP).

Competition: The first closed-back competitor which is coming to my mind for the Elegia is he MrSpeakers Aeon Flow. It could be interesting to see folks doing some detailed comparisons between those two HP... From what I’ve read about the Aeon Flow, I think it share the same kind of sound signature than the Elegia.

Conclusion: The Elegia is a hell of a pair of closed-back HP. It can give a pretty good fight versus some of the best hi-fi open-back HP (like the Clear) and can even leave some noticeable marks on most of the best mid-fi open-back models in some technical aspects. Definitely one of the few closed-back reference on the market right now. Good job Focal!

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #449 of 4,840
The Elegia just arrived!

Just quick impressions but I really like the way these sound a lot so far. I'm surprised how "open" they sound for being a closed back.

P1020525.JPG

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2018 at 7:08 PM Post #450 of 4,840
Elegia sounds closed, and has that typical closed upper-bass resonance warmth (it's not really a warm headphone though). It has that closed-back nasal mids. Who said this headphone sounds open? Whoever said this don't know what they are talking about. There's a real point to open headphones, and it's to release closed resonance. This phone doesn't have much bass resonance you find typical, but it does have closed resonance in general.

I'll burn-in my ears, probably at some point over my ears (and brain burns-in) adjust, sound would improve.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back