Focal Elegia - what do you think?
Oct 30, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #421 of 4,840
Thanks for your serious and argumented feedbacks.

Elear would be a better choice if you don't mind open back.

Other option for close back is to Denon, but I always dislike V-shape sound signature though.

Anyway, today I just received my Elegia, love how clean its sound while still have enough warmness in midrange to make it sound pleasing. Midrange is kind of a bit in intimate side, far from V-Shape signature that we usually find in close back headphone.

Bass body definitely not as big as elear, but the impact and punch still there. Resonance is quite minimal, which is a great thing. My top songs so far for Elegia are coming from vocal jazz, acoustic, and pop. Norah Jones sings really wonderful here.

Additional note: I'm an open back headphone guy, this would be my very first time buy a close back headphone (after 9 years since I bought my first "serious" headphone), simply because I like the sound.

Oct 30, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #422 of 4,840
DRE would prefer the Z1R if he could dare to use it....
Listening to Kamikaze WM1A>balanced> Z1R as I type this.

Hast du MDR Z7M2 ausprobiert? Ich finde diesen Kopfhörer auch interessant aber ich hatte keine Chance ihn zu hören.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I have Fostex TH-610 and I am looking for a better replacement. TH-610 is not as bassy as TH900 or TH-X00. I was hoping for Elegia to be the replacement as it seems to check many boxes. About planars, I have had some experience with them (Oppo PM-2 and HFM HE400i) but did not find them punchy enough. LCD2 Closed back is surely interesting but I would be disappointed if it lacks punch and excitement like the other two planars I had before.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #423 of 4,840
Hast du MDR Z7M2 ausprobiert? Ich finde diesen Kopfhörer auch interessant aber ich hatte keine Chance ihn zu hören.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I have Fostex TH-610 and I am looking for a better replacement. TH-610 is not as bassy as TH900 or TH-X00. I was hoping for Elegia to be the replacement as it seems to check many boxes. About planars, I have had some experience with them (Oppo PM-2 and HFM HE400i) but did not find them punchy enough. LCD2 Closed back is surely interesting but I would be disappointed if it lacks punch and excitement like the other two planars I had before.
Ich hab den Z7 Mk2 nicht gehört. hab ja den Z1R. Der und der HD800 mit SD mod sind alles was übrig bleibt. Habe den Mobius und werde auch den verkaufen, er berührt mich nicht. Der Z1R umso mehr.

Oct 30, 2018 at 5:29 PM Post #425 of 4,840
Strange. I thought it was Elegia topic
Hey this is HeadFi, we compare everything with everything. I did subscribe here because the Elegia cought my interest, so yes in general we talk about the Elegia here.

Oct 31, 2018 at 12:26 AM Post #426 of 4,840
Hey this is HeadFi, we compare everything with everything. I did subscribe here because the Elegia cought my interest, so yes in general we talk about the Elegia here.
Sure, but if you have written in English maybe I should not misunderstand you. Si tout le monde se mettait à écrire dans sa langue d'origine on s'en sortirait plus. עס איז בעסער צו נוצן ענגליש ווי דער דערמאָנען שפּראַך. And it's not very polite.

Oct 31, 2018 at 3:12 AM Post #427 of 4,840
Thanks for the opportunity to brush up on my French on this early morning. Not sure if I can cope with Hebrew though :wink:

On a more serious note and addressing some of those comments that were made in German, I believe that if you are looking for anything inside the realm of Sony's Z1R / Z7 or Fostex bass heft, then you might be disappointed by the Elegia. Focal's headphones (with the exception of maybe the Elear) just do not have the quantity of those mentioned earlier. But they have excellent bass definition, dynamics and speed, which to my ear make them as impressive.

Personally, I went through a process that took more than a year where in the beginning I was blown away by the bass power of the TH-X00 first and then by the Z1R and Z7, I just could not get enough of it. Until I had enough of it. I guess I grew a bit tired of that constant bass treatment of my ears and sold the Z1R and TH-X00, going first to an Elear (sold it quickly again due to midrange suck out), then to a Clear and AFC.

Ideally, I would have kept the Z1R (which blows the TH-X00 out of the water on all fronts) for those moments when I do prefer a bit more bass impact, but it's an expensive headphone, so I only kept the Z7 for those kind of moments.

Judging from early reviews, the Denon AH-D9200 might be promising in terms of sound signature. I had the 7200, but found the trebles region a bit anemic. Seems the 9200 fixes that. The new Denons are fairly neutral, but have a fair amount of deep bass.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2018 at 4:25 AM Post #428 of 4,840
Not only does the OT break the thread, creating new threads for those topics would also be more helpful to the ppl that actually want advice on those headphones that are now being talked about instead. It is ofc perfectly fine to compare the Elegia with other headphones, but do everyone a favor and don't go beyond that, please. Create your own threads for that, if things go sideways.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #429 of 4,840
Got my Focal Elegia today in the mail. my system is Asus Essence STX II (COAX out) to Schiit Gungnir Multibit (balanced out) to Auralic Taurus with Elegia running single ended. I do not know what these reviewers are drinking, but the bass in these headphones are amazing! tight and fast. soundstage wide, treble, mids all neutral. Best closed headphones I have ever listened to. The only other purchase I need at this point is a longer cable. what do you guys recommend? I need something about 10ft long. My HD58X, HD650, T90, Q701, HD598, AD700 and Fidelio X2HR are all going up for sale. These headphones are amazing. Only headphones I am keeping in my collection are the HD800 and The Elegia. My headfi journey is done. Cheers guys, happy listening.

Oct 31, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #430 of 4,840
Got my Focal Elegia today in the mail. my system is Asus Essence STX II (COAX out) to Schiit Gungnir Multibit (balanced out) to Auralic Taurus with Elegia running single ended. I do not know what these reviewers are drinking, but the bass in these headphones are amazing! tight and fast. soundstage wide, treble, mids all neutral. Best closed headphones I have ever listened to. The only other purchase I need at this point is a longer cable. what do you guys recommend? I need something about 10ft long. My HD58X, HD650, T90, Q701, HD598, AD700 and Fidelio X2HR are all going up for sale. These headphones are amazing. Only headphones I am keeping in my collection are the HD800 and The Elegia. My headfi journey is done. Cheers guys, happy listening.
Based on a couple hours listening?

Oct 31, 2018 at 12:35 PM Post #432 of 4,840
In terms of cables, a few are using the Beyerdynamics ones (to the T1/T5). I'm waiting for mine to arrive any day now. Two length options and good build quality, plus more flexible and solid connectors, plus supposedly less microphonic. I have no reason to doubt that, though. Never heard anyone complain about microphonics on the T1.

Oct 31, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #433 of 4,840
A little update about Elegia:
- Compare to Elear, Elegia has better control in upper mid/lower treble area, definitely smoother (less picky) especially for piano.
- Elegia is a little bit more midcentric character compare to Elear and Clear. (And here I'm the midrange guy)
- Bass extension wise, Audeze LCD-2C has more pronounce on lowest bass note.
- Clean black background
- Elegia is amazing for low listening volume, in my case definitely beat Aeon Open and Elear, I think due to cleaner black background.
- EDM lover, I think will like Elear and LCD-2C more.
- Jazz or vocal lover, just go to Elegia
- Easy to drive, straight from Questyle CMA600i (single ended), my listening volume is below 9 o'clock almost all the time. I even can use Lehman Linear amp in 0 db mode just fine with this headphone.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2018 at 4:20 PM Post #434 of 4,840
The only thing is, I keep having comfort issues due to my jaw problems. Trying to deal with it, but I may need to look into sticking with larger headphones (like the Z1R) or IEMs. I cannot wear the Elegia for very long at all in a single session...
Can you talk about this a bit more? I'm planning to sell my Aeons and get the Elegias because the Aeons press on my jaw and cause pain after not very long. If the Elegia causes a similar problem, I'll need to make a different plan.

Oct 31, 2018 at 4:34 PM Post #435 of 4,840
the thing has not even burned in yet. have only been listening for like 15 minutes. I am almost in tears how good these headphones are. maybe people need to use a high end system like mine to really show what these phones can do....
Why aren’t you using the Elegia with a balanced cable? Surely with such a high end system you’d want to maximize performance?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back