Focal Elegia - what do you think?
Mar 3, 2019 at 7:30 PM Post #1,021 of 4,861
I realize that it has been mentioned several times in this thread about burn-in time for the Elegia. However, I can't stress enough how important it is. I'm now at about the 125 hour mark - I've been running them 24/7 since they arrived on Wednesday night. The sound is really developing nicely. Hopefully, for any member who didn't care for the sound of the Elegia, I only wish that that the particular headphone you heard had enough hours on it, because it really makes a difference with the sound.

I know some people may tend to disagree with driver burn-in and others might say that it's actually the listener that's adjusting to the sound. However, several years back, Dannie Richie, a well-known loudspeaker builder and speaker supplier in the U.S., did a great piece on the effects of driver burn-in as well as the inclusion of measurements to back up his article.

Now, I can say for the Elear, Elex, Utopia, etc. - I certainly never allowed enough burn-in time for those cans and only used the Elear for 24 hours of listening time, the Elex for 50 hours, tops and finally the Utopia - 2 hours tops. I think I need more patience in my life.

Mar 3, 2019 at 10:26 PM Post #1,022 of 4,861
Mine came around at about 8347598 hours but i don't really believe in burn-in.

Mar 5, 2019 at 4:30 AM Post #1,023 of 4,861
So I was abc-ing between my Elegia, a prospective LCD-x and the Stellia on my mojo setup today and the thing that struck me was how close these headphones all are. I've reconsidered my intention to one day acquire the Stellia as there just isn't enough of a difference between the 3 to justify the triple cost. I've decided to go for the Audeze next as it's on the same level as the Stellia as far as I'm concerned. The lcdx beats the high end Focal in soundstage and treble air. Bass seems better defined too. The bass hump on the Stellia really becomes noticeable when compared beside "more neutral " cans like these other 2, So much so that it precludes it from being reference class. Hell the Elegia even beats the Stellia for soundstage, dynamics and neutrality. The higher class Focal has that last 10-5 % in refinement and smoothness. Imaging is superior on the Stellia too. I know what my next purchase is, and I'm happy to say I'll be saving around 3 grand AUD. YMMV natch.

Mar 5, 2019 at 5:06 AM Post #1,024 of 4,861
No burn-in effects here. They sound exactly the same as when they arrived. Burn-in does happen, but in our brain when it gets used to a new sense, like a sound.

Elegias are great. Highly recommended!

Mar 5, 2019 at 6:15 AM Post #1,025 of 4,861
No burn-in effects here. They sound exactly the same as when they arrived. Burn-in does happen, but in our brain when it gets used to a new sense, like a sound.

Elegias are great. Highly recommended!

Can’t believe you’re re-lighting this ancient fire, next you’ll be saying it’s all zeros and ones, cables are snake oil. The original
Firestarter Keith flint isn’t even fresn in the ground :wink:

I won’t bite

Mar 5, 2019 at 6:25 AM Post #1,026 of 4,861
Can’t believe you’re re-lighting this ancient fire, next you’ll be saying it’s all zeros and ones, cables are snake oil. The original
Firestarter Keith flint isn’t even fresn in the ground :wink:

I won’t bite

I actually can't say I don't agree with him. Same goes for you statement about the cables. :wink:
I buy them mostly because I need 4,5m and want soft sleeved cables.

Mar 5, 2019 at 6:29 AM Post #1,027 of 4,861
I actually can't say I don't agree with him. Same goes for you statement about the cables. :wink:
I buy them mostly because I need 4,5m and want soft sleeved cables.

It’s weird because my brain obvs takes a particularly long time to burn focals in. The relationship improves so drastically at 100+.:wink:

I listen at low volumes where the improvements are perhaps more noticeable,

Mar 5, 2019 at 6:47 AM Post #1,029 of 4,861
It’s weird because my brain obvs takes a particularly long time to burn focals in. The relationship improves so drastically at 100+.:wink:

I listen at low volumes where the improvements are perhaps more noticeable,

My experience with audio gear and what we call burn-in time is that I perceive only slight changes, if any.
I have no idea if the changes I perceive are due to actual equipment burn-in or brain-burn in.
I listen at various volume levels depending on my mood and the music playing.

Mar 5, 2019 at 8:29 AM Post #1,030 of 4,861
So I was abc-ing between my Elegia, a prospective LCD-x and the Stellia on my mojo setup today and the thing that struck me was how close these headphones all are. I've reconsidered my intention to one day acquire the Stellia as there just isn't enough of a difference between the 3 to justify the triple cost. I've decided to go for the Audeze next as it's on the same level as the Stellia as far as I'm concerned. The lcdx beats the high end Focal in soundstage and treble air. Bass seems better defined too. The bass hump on the Stellia really becomes noticeable when compared beside "more neutral " cans like these other 2, So much so that it precludes it from being reference class. Hell the Elegia even beats the Stellia for soundstage, dynamics and neutrality. The higher class Focal has that last 10-5 % in refinement and smoothness. Imaging is superior on the Stellia too. I know what my next purchase is, and I'm happy to say I'll be saving around 3 grand AUD. YMMV natch.
Thanks for you comments. I was hesitant to spend $3000 ($4000 CDN actually) on something that might end up "not as good" as what I had (Elegia). Ultimately, I would need to hear the Stellia and decide for myself, but so often these flagship headphones really bring to light the law of diminishing returns and how little "improvement" (if any) you actually get for three times the price. So far, in my experience, only the Diana really stood out from the others I have heard/owned.

Mar 5, 2019 at 9:41 AM Post #1,031 of 4,861
My experience with audio gear and what we call burn-in time is that I perceive only slight changes, if any.
I have no idea if the changes I perceive are due to actual equipment burn-in or brain-burn in.
I listen at various volume levels depending on my mood and the music playing.
My experience w the elegia, is different than the 10 other closed back headphones I've owned.
All others my initial feeling of like or dislike never changed regardless of my brain burn in or hardware burn in.
The Elegia, they didnt sound to my exact liking and grew on me. I take this as brain burn in. Maybe equate it too desensitizing myself to a new sensation that was maybe dulled before. Like eating salty foods, then cutting out salt and when introduced only a little goes a long way. W most other headphones the bass and other parts were maybe too much and the elegia has less and the more i listened it became just enough
Unfortunately, I sold them anyway as my SEM5's won me over from fist listen and still do it for me 6 weeks later. just my 2 1/2 cents!

Mar 5, 2019 at 9:58 AM Post #1,032 of 4,861
My experience w the elegia, is different than the 10 other closed back headphones I've owned.
All others my initial feeling of like or dislike never changed regardless of my brain burn in or hardware burn in.
The Elegia, they didnt sound to my exact liking and grew on me. I take this as brain burn in. Maybe equate it too desensitizing myself to a new sensation that was maybe dulled before. Like eating salty foods, then cutting out salt and when introduced only a little goes a long way.
Well said.

Sometimes you have to 'deprogram' yourself from the sounds of others, before you really are aware of what you are hearing with something else. But ultimately the reference point should be real sounds that are live.

Mar 5, 2019 at 11:13 AM Post #1,033 of 4,861
I read that if you wear Glasses that the Focal Elegias sound changes drastically due to the improper seal. has anyone who wears glasses and owns a pair notice this?

Mar 5, 2019 at 11:18 AM Post #1,034 of 4,861
I read that if you wear Glasses that the Focal Elegias sound changes drastically due to the improper seal. has anyone who wears glasses and owns a pair notice this?

i wear glasses and it the sound is not effected on either the Stellia or Elegia. Obvs different people, with different glasses might have different experiences, but he pads are pretty accommodating so i doubt its an issue for most.

Mar 5, 2019 at 11:29 AM Post #1,035 of 4,861

Your evaluation is very interesting. I am quite attracted to the Stellia but the price is formidable. I have the Elegia and LCD X and like them both very much. However, that allure of the Stellia is - compelling. I love the design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back