Focal Elegia - what do you think?
Feb 25, 2019 at 4:26 PM Post #976 of 4,879
Yes - exactly. I feel that the mid is more forward than most closed backs that I have had the chance to try and definitely seems more lively than on the Aeons especially with electronic music. I have found that the Grace M900 seems very neutral overall and had both pairs in the exact same set-up coming out of Macbook Pro into the Grace M900.

yeah I tend to think the Elegia is better for music with instruments and the Eikon is likely better for electronic music for exactly the mid emphasis reason. It's funny, a lot of people use the term 'warm' to indicate more bass emphasis, but to me it's forward mids.

Feb 25, 2019 at 4:58 PM Post #977 of 4,879
yeah I tend to think the Elegia is better for music with instruments and the Eikon is likely better for electronic music for exactly the mid emphasis reason. It's funny, a lot of people use the term 'warm' to indicate more bass emphasis, but to me it's forward mids.
I would not categorize the elegia as warm. The mids are forward and very present but that lower mid dip definitely makes them a bit more in your face w very little bass warmth imo. But I guess if you define warm as forward mids, then the elegia might be considered " red hot" ! Lol

Feb 25, 2019 at 5:19 PM Post #979 of 4,879
I got my Elegia's at CanJam NYC - I needed a closed set of cans and I figured if they could isolate well at that show, they'd do fine in my office. I'm still breaking them in, but I've really liked them so far. I have a set of Clear's also, and that was the kind of sound I was reaching for, and to a large extent, the Elegia's deliver. On the go, I'm pairing them with a Chord Mojo, and it works great, no issues at all, and the sound pairing is really good. I listen to acoustic music, usually classical or jazz.
The Elegia's surprise me at how closely they resemble the Clears. Sound stage is surprisingly good, and instrumental separation in an ensemble is pretty good also. I don't have any other closed headphones that sound as dynamic or live as these, so they deliver what I was going for. At the CanJam show, Focal was powering the pair I tested with a Naim amp, that was really a good match for these. Since then I've tried the Massdrop THX789, which is fine, a Schiit Vali 2, and an iFi DSD BL -- all have plenty of power. They're transparent enough that they deserve a good DAC -- to me, they sound better with the Mojo than they do with a Topping D50/THX789 combo.

Feb 25, 2019 at 9:03 PM Post #981 of 4,879
Who's powering the elegias with a DAP? My sp1000m powers them well but I'm left with something to be desired. Tried the dx200-8, mojo/poly, cv5, ha2se, plus a bunch of daps I own.

Just wondering what others are using for portable pairing with these. I've had them for months and tried dozens of portable sources but haven't landed on anything great yet.

Feb 25, 2019 at 11:29 PM Post #982 of 4,879
Who's powering the elegias with a DAP? My sp1000m powers them well but I'm left with something to be desired. Tried the dx200-8, mojo/poly, cv5, ha2se, plus a bunch of daps I own.

Just wondering what others are using for portable pairing with these. I've had them for months and tried dozens of portable sources but haven't landed on anything great yet.

I've used it on an SR15 and it sounds great. But the nice thing is you can EQ. Obviously it's not the same as my desktop amp but nothing to complain about.

By contrast, it sounds pretty bad out of my V30. I hate this phone for audio.

Feb 26, 2019 at 3:35 PM Post #986 of 4,879

I’m using Sony WM1A dap, with balanced 4.4mm cable on Elegia. Sounds quite good. Also use Chord Mojo single ended. No complaints there either.

Feb 26, 2019 at 4:28 PM Post #987 of 4,879
I’m using Sony WM1A dap, with balanced 4.4mm cable on Elegia. Sounds quite good. Also use Chord Mojo single ended. No complaints there either.
Before I sold them, I was using w mojo/r3 stack and then bought the new hiby r6 pro and used them via 4.4 balanced. Sounded a bit more"open" on r6pro. Sold them as I feel the pioneer sem5 are a better fit for me

Feb 26, 2019 at 10:06 PM Post #989 of 4,879
Before I sold them, I was using w mojo/r3 stack and then bought the new hiby r6 pro and used them via 4.4 balanced. Sounded a bit more"open" on r6pro. Sold them as I feel the pioneer sem5 are a better fit for me

Interesting. What’s your opinion on the SEM 5 vs. the Elegia?
What about soundstage/space?

Feb 27, 2019 at 6:40 AM Post #990 of 4,879
Interesting. What’s your opinion on the SEM 5 vs. the Elegia?
What about soundstage/space?
The elegia attention to fine detail was excellent but all focals sound somewhat closed in . I have the clear also and the soundstage is only marginally bigger than elegia .the pioneer sounds hollgraphic and the sound stage wider and deeper
The bass is felt as well as heard and is not overdone and is controlled unlike the elegia which has very little heft to the low end . The mids on the elegia are in your face and are good at times but also can overpower the rest whereas the sem5 has neutral mids .The details on the sem5 are just a hair below the elegia but that to me is an allusion as the elegia is sacrificing the lower end which makes everything else stand out
The sem5 are close to neutral w a touch of warmth but I mean that in a good way .The Sony mdrz1r are bass heavy compared to the sem5;;
The sem5 is overlooked . And when on sale are the best headphone in the under 1k price I've heard and to me beat out the senn hd820 and Sony mdrz1r at more the twice the price
Sold the elegia and now have the best combo for me sem5 and ue 18+pro , similar sound signature so I'm covered
Will sell my clears as well as the sem5 to me sound as open w better low end .

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back