Focal Elegia - what do you think?
Sep 10, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #2,986 of 4,854
that is a nice stand, but I like your cable too! Who makes it and is it all silver?

No its copper with silver coating. But when I ordered my headphone amp I did really struggle to find a shop that has a cable like that without ordering from China or waiting 6 weeks for a custom shop to make one.

But this is OCC copper instead of OFC. No idea if it actually makes a difference.

https://www.clear-components.de/khk-2x3-5mm-klinke-auf-xlr-4pol/

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2021 at 10:22 AM Post #2,987 of 4,854
No its copper with silver coating. But when I ordered my headphone amp I did really struggle to find a shop that has a cable like that without ordering from China or waiting 6 weeks for a custom shop to make one.

But this is OCC copper instead of OFC. No idea if it actually makes a difference.

https://www.clear-components.de/khk-2x3-5mm-klinke-auf-xlr-4pol/
Very nice! Thank you for sharing the link. I’d like to find a cable like this with a 4.4mm to pair up with my Cayin C9!

Sep 10, 2021 at 10:51 AM Post #2,989 of 4,854
Been thinking of adding these to my collection. Just wondering how these compare to the Senn 58x, which are my current daily drivers. I think I have an idea, but want to hear from anyone that might have both.

I might have the wrong headphones.. but the 58x sold for like 170-180€ over here. The Elegia at least used to cost 900€.

They should be on a whole other level than the Sennheiser. Even if they are sold currently for 400 USD

Sep 10, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #2,990 of 4,854
here is my cable with 4,4mm connection. made from a user of the german forum.

Attachments

• PXL_20210910_152515365.jpg
    PXL_20210910_152515365.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
Sep 10, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #2,992 of 4,854
I just went through all the Focal reviews in the ASR forum.. and basically nothing measures well.

Even the Celeste, clear and utopia.. normally Im all for technical science based reviews but this kinda suprises me

Sep 10, 2021 at 6:35 PM Post #2,993 of 4,854
I just went through all the Focal reviews in the ASR forum.. and basically nothing measures well.

Even the Celeste, clear and utopia.. normally Im all for technical science based reviews but this kinda suprises me
What's the old saying? If it sounds good but measures bad then you're not measuring the right thing.

Sep 11, 2021 at 12:48 AM Post #2,994 of 4,854

What's nothing measures well?

Let's take the Celestee - https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/focal-celestee-review-headphone.21917/

"I was pleased with the tight matching of the low frequency response to our target curve (dashed blue). What I did not like was the droop in the green channel below 80 Hz. I tried to compensate by moving the headphone around but no matter what I did, that large discrepancy remained. Looking at a few other measurements in the field, they also show a mild version of this "kink." It is very surprising to see such mismatching from a company like Focal with its extensive driver manufacturing capabilities."

"Very low distortion" plus "More impressive given excellent bass response". Though, didn't get his recommendation due to what seems to be mostly pricing?

Clear - https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/focal-clear-review-headphone.18585/

"Let's cover the good news first: response between 1 and 3 kHz follows our preference curve unlike a number we have tested so far. Bass response is also higher as well. Misses are the overshoot between 600 and 1.6 Hz. The lower range of this from my speaker testing usually hides some detail in the music"

Didn't get his recommendation, mostly due to the clipping?

Elex - https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...massdrop-x-focal-elex-review-headphone.22331/

"Very low distortion > 200 Hz"

"I may be biased by distortion measurements but I constantly went "oh that note is clean!" This happened across the board in many tracks. Quiet notes were especially a delight with the Elex."

"I am over the shock of the driver limit that I had with the Clear and decided to upgrade my rating of Elex to "recommended.""

This is against the target Harman researched preference curve. Wouldn't say none of them measured well, but yeah, no headphones are perfect and what may sound good to you may not to someone else.

Sep 11, 2021 at 2:25 AM Post #2,995 of 4,854
Nothing has to sound good at ASR. As long as the measurements are correct, everything is fine.
I bought an Ifi Neo and it sounds like the best I've had so far. And I already had a lot and I was guided by measurements at ASR. Measurements of the Neo show that it measures rather poorly. Still it sounds very good.

Sep 11, 2021 at 6:49 AM Post #2,996 of 4,854
Nothing has to sound good at ASR. As long as the measurements are correct, everything is fine.
I bought an Ifi Neo and it sounds like the best I've had so far. And I already had a lot and I was guided by measurements at ASR. Measurements of the Neo show that it measures rather poorly. Still it sounds very good.
Measurements are very useful but it's only part of a story, take 2 identical cuts of premium quality meat from 2 vastly different locations and measure them. You could get 2 that measure similar in weight and moisture, protein, hormone levels etc. That's not going to tell you how they taste when you eat them nor will explain the reason why they may differ in taste, just like whiskey and so many other things.... Only one REAL way to know that will account for personal bias, preferences and flaws... You have to experience it for yourself.

I'm glad not everything measure perfectly, it'd prolly all sound the same or similar then, I like to enjoy variety

Half the gear I have measures awesome, other half measures poorly. I enjoy it all for the differences, heck some of the stuff like my ifi gear or tubes will always measure poorly but I enjoy them maybe the most. back on topic of the Elegia's and I was really enjoying them with the Dekoni LE Stellia pads, quite a good improvement but even more so I find them more comfortable myself. The memory foam is pretty stiff, though still prefer them over the microfiber pads as soft as they are. Details are cleaner/clearer.

edit: to add I also have no issue with those that love to measure or those that like to tweak, thing is as long as YOUR enjoying YOURself.... Man happy days, just enjoy...it's all good. When it comes to personal pleasure, aim to please yourself...Not others!

Stay safe and Enjoy :)

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2021 at 8:19 AM Post #2,997 of 4,854
What's nothing measures well?

Let's take the Celestee - https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/focal-celestee-review-headphone.21917/

"I was pleased with the tight matching of the low frequency response to our target curve (dashed blue). What I did not like was the droop in the green channel below 80 Hz. I tried to compensate by moving the headphone around but no matter what I did, that large discrepancy remained. Looking at a few other measurements in the field, they also show a mild version of this "kink." It is very surprising to see such mismatching from a company like Focal with its extensive driver manufacturing capabilities."

"Very low distortion" plus "More impressive given excellent bass response". Though, didn't get his recommendation due to what seems to be mostly pricing?

Clear - https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/focal-clear-review-headphone.18585/

"Let's cover the good news first: response between 1 and 3 kHz follows our preference curve unlike a number we have tested so far. Bass response is also higher as well. Misses are the overshoot between 600 and 1.6 Hz. The lower range of this from my speaker testing usually hides some detail in the music"

Didn't get his recommendation, mostly due to the clipping?

Elex - https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...massdrop-x-focal-elex-review-headphone.22331/

"Very low distortion > 200 Hz"

"I may be biased by distortion measurements but I constantly went "oh that note is clean!" This happened across the board in many tracks. Quiet notes were especially a delight with the Elex."

"I am over the shock of the driver limit that I had with the Clear and decided to upgrade my rating of Elex to "recommended.""

This is against the target Harman researched preference curve. Wouldn't say none of them measured well, but yeah, no headphones are perfect and what may sound good to you may not to someone else.

"Focal Utopia Listening Tests
As is, the Utopia sounded just fine. Not a whole lot to rave about but no glaring, annoying response errors"

"I can't recommend the Focal Clear with or without Equalization. I expect more from a company like Focal with incredible vertical integration to build drivers and such."

"Focal Celestee Headphone Listening Tests
Without any equalization, the sound was non-offensive and boring. The highs are muted and soundstage is mostly whacked in the middle of your head."

"As is, given the high cost, I can't recommend the Focal Celestee. If you spend this kind of money, you want the headphone to put a smile on your face. The Celestee simply does not do that to me. I really don't know what their target for tonality was with this headphone."

just a few remarks that surprised me.

And basically using a EQ to make every headphone sound the same

Sep 11, 2021 at 9:33 AM Post #2,998 of 4,854
As long as the measurements are correct, everything is fine.
The only measurement(s) that make any sense to me is the measure of how happy they make my ears.

Sep 11, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #2,999 of 4,854
And basically using a EQ to make every headphone sound the same
That seems to be a big thing now. People on different threads are going on constantly about how you Have to EQ every headphone. They even say out loud, "this headphone is crap until you EQ it".
I recently dumped the LCD-2 Classic's as too boring. I had several people telling me aggressively that I MUST EQ them and then I will get it.:deadhorse:

And now reviewers give EQ settings with EVERY single review. :rolling_eyes:

I guess a lot of people want every headphone to sound similar.

Sep 11, 2021 at 1:37 PM Post #3,000 of 4,854
That seems to be a big thing now. People on different threads are going on constantly about how you Have to EQ every headphone. They even say out loud, "this headphone is crap until you EQ it".
I recently dumped the LCD-2 Classic's as too boring. I had several people telling me aggressively that I MUST EQ them and then I will get it.:deadhorse:

And now reviewers give EQ settings with EVERY single review. :rolling_eyes:

I guess a lot of people want every headphone to sound similar.
While it's not a must, it certainly helps a lot especially if you know generally what your target FR curve looks like. When I EQ, it's not necessarily that I want everything sounding the same but just that I want to make up for clear tonality issues which especially present themselves when certain instruments (especially noticeable with brass for me) just sound wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back