Focal Elegia - what do you think?
Sep 11, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #3,001 of 4,840
While it's not a must, it certainly helps a lot especially if you know generally what your target FR curve looks like. When I EQ, it's not necessarily that I want everything sounding the same but just that I want to make up for clear tonality issues which especially present themselves when certain instruments (especially noticeable with brass for me) just sound wrong.
So, you essentially want every headphone to sound the same. Or at least similar.

I don't get that. My favourite three headphones are Grado GH2's, Focal Elex's and CFA Cascades. They sound wildly different and I like that. I will not bass up the Grado's or bass down the Cascades. I enjoy the differences.

Sep 11, 2021 at 3:54 PM Post #3,003 of 4,840
So, you essentially want every headphone to sound the same. Or at least similar.

I don't get that. My favourite three headphones are Grado GH2's, Focal Elex's and CFA Cascades. They sound wildly different and I like that. I will not bass up the Grado's or bass down the Cascades. I enjoy the differences.
Well, similar enough as far as making sure that instruments and vocals don't sound too odd, timbre wise. Aside from that I find it nice that I can accentuate certain things that I like about a particular set through the use of EQ. For example, I really enjoy the macrodynamic contrast that the Elegias have, so I up the bass just a tad bit to let that slam really shine through :smile:. I totally understand appreciating the differences of headphones, and I think that even after EQ my headphones sound drastically different and I love them all for what they do well! Also the Elex and Cascade are a really nice, fun pairing--cheers!

Sep 12, 2021 at 2:38 AM Post #3,004 of 4,840
And basically using a EQ to make every headphone sound the same
That seems to be what ASR is aiming for. I can't say that it applies to the majority community members, but I'm not among them. I don't really agree with that practice either as it implies that there's only one correct target curve for everyone - to which no research I've seen has concluded.
And now reviewers give EQ settings with EVERY single review. :rolling_eyes:

I guess a lot of people want every headphone to sound similar.
Sharing their EQ profile is not a terrible idea. In fact, I think it's a great practice to see what the reviewer's reference tonality is and whether you agree with what their reference tonality or timbre qualities would be. I don't recommend people blindly using them as each person has different preferences, but it's a good data set to compare with.

EQ'ing to a similar target curve is personal preference. Never EQ'ing and enjoying stock tonality, regardless of how incorrect natural instruments and vocals sound, is also personal preference. I say EQ to correct timbre issues as @Undun mentioned, that's what I do and that can make certain frequency ranges similar between two headphones, it doesn't make them sound the same.

I never like listening to Muse's vocals sounding like I'm listening through a typical AM radio speaker; otherwise just listen from an AM radio instead.

Sep 12, 2021 at 9:59 AM Post #3,005 of 4,840
EQ'ing to a similar target curve is personal preference. Never EQ'ing and enjoying stock tonality, regardless of how incorrect natural instruments and vocals sound, is also personal preference. I say EQ to correct timbre issues as @Undun mentioned, that's what I do and that can make certain frequency ranges similar between two headphones, it doesn't make them sound the same.
Also EQ’ing helps boosts certain frequencies some of our aging ears struggle to hear!

Sep 12, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #3,006 of 4,840
I bought an Ifi Neo and it sounds like the best I've had so far. And I already had a lot and I was guided by measurements at ASR. Measurements of the Neo show that it measures rather poorly. Still it sounds very good.

It depends on how it's measured :wink:

... but good to know that you've found its sound appealing. And yes, some products that measure poorly sound very pleasing. That's just the nature of this hobby.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/iFiAudio/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Sep 17, 2021 at 1:46 PM Post #3,007 of 4,840
Has anyone compared the dekoni sheepskin pads to the dekoni Stellia pads?
My Dekoni Stellia order got lost in the mail, and was delayed for a week. I have them now.

The Stellia pads definitely have a larger, more spacious soundstage compared to the Dekoni Sheepskins. However, you lose a bit of bass presence. Depending on your bass preferences, this could be a good thing or bad thing. Both pads seem to go as deeply in bass though.

I hear more midrange warmth in the Sheepskins, which makes them sound more intimate than the Stellias. Once again, this could be good or bad, depending on preference.

Ultimately, I think the Stellia version provides objectively superior sound across the board. However, subjectively I could see how some may prefer the regular Sheepskins. As an example, I find the Stellias midway in between the sound signature of the Elegia with Sheepskin, vs my Dan Clark Ether CX - which has less bass presence and impact, while having a much larger soundstage with greater separation. In my case, I want two different sounding headphones for variety's sake. The Sheepskins give me that vs my Ether CX, so I am somewhat on the fence for what to do.

However, I think I will still go with the Stellias for their better overall performance. So if anyone wants a pair of Dekoni Sheepskins, I will be putting mine up for sale...

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #3,008 of 4,840
Actually, I've changed my mind; I will keep the Dekoni Sheepskins and sell the Stellias.

I agree with @Shane D; I want variety in my headphones. The sheepskin pads have more midrange warmth, which is is the perfect change of pace for my Ether CX.

Let me know if any of you are interested in the Stellias...

Sep 23, 2021 at 9:43 PM Post #3,009 of 4,840
Anyone know if the Elegia have any weird problems on the drivers like other focal headphones ? I am about to buy one just wanted to double check this ones do not have that issue.

Sep 23, 2021 at 9:53 PM Post #3,011 of 4,840
Anyone know if the Elegia have any weird problems on the drivers like other focal headphones ? I am about to buy one just wanted to double check this ones do not have that issue.
Basically all Focals may fail, from what I've seen. The Elegia is no more or less suceptible than other models.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #3,013 of 4,840
Reason ? Because the coil is so sensitive?
No idea, I don't build them, I just know they have more failures than other brands and poor policies / high prices for replacement. And yes, I own an Elegia. Haven't had any issues personally, but they don't get a lot of head time.

Oct 1, 2021 at 6:27 PM Post #3,014 of 4,840
I’m debating whether or not to purchase the Tripowin Granvia headphone cable over on Drop. The price is decent for what I’m looking for (4.4mm, 3m cable) - any good reason not purchase it?

Or would I be better off chasing an all silver cable to boost the highs? (I’d like the highs to be a little more prominent)

Thanks in advance for the help guys!

Oct 1, 2021 at 6:50 PM Post #3,015 of 4,840
I’d say give them a try. Price is certainly reasonable. Personally, I’m sold on Hart Audio cables. Maybe a schmidge more expensive but the build quality is top notch and I like the modular system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back