Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Sep 18, 2020 at 9:00 AM Post #6,151 of 6,742
Can anyone recommend a decent but not expensive cable that is balanced 2.5mm and only about 4 feet long that works with the Elear? I'm thinking less than $60.
Hart audio cables are nice i use them with my elears and astell and kern dap

Sep 22, 2020 at 2:33 AM Post #6,152 of 6,742
Can anyone recommend a decent but not expensive cable that is balanced 2.5mm and only about 4 feet long that works with the Elear? I'm thinking less than $60.
I bought this one. Works as it should, no microphonics.

Sep 23, 2020 at 9:19 PM Post #6,153 of 6,742
Thanks for the suggestions, but I'll probably just continue to use mine with my Schiit Magni Heresey. I have just gotten a Qudelix 5K which has a balanced 2.5mm out, but I doubt it'll sound as good as my DAC and Heresey.

Sep 26, 2020 at 10:08 PM Post #6,154 of 6,742
Thanks for the reccommendation but damn, they aren't available in the UK.

I just got an Elear. From the hype surrounding them I was expecting their dynamics to be so extreme that every kick drum hit would be rendered with an aneurysm-inducing physicality. No, they're not that extreme.

They almost sound like a Grado with opposite tuning (to emphasize the bass and low-mids instead of upper-mids and treble). They have a laid-back frequency response yet still sound aggressive - and it's probably mainly their dynamics that are enabling that.

As an aside - would you guys say that if you own an Elear/Elex, an HD650 is redundant because they overlap in sound signature too much? Or would they compliment each other?
Absolutely not. The HD650 or 6XX are a completely different listening experience from the Elear. I want to say the HD650/6XX would be a more accurate reproduction of the music while the Elear is a more exciting version of the music. If all headphone drivers were built with small speakers like in the Elear maybe the dynamic excitement the Elears give the music would be commonplace?

Oct 2, 2020 at 8:27 PM Post #6,155 of 6,742
Absolutely not. The HD650 or 6XX are a completely different listening experience from the Elear. I want to say the HD650/6XX would be a more accurate reproduction of the music while the Elear is a more exciting version of the music. If all headphone drivers were built with small speakers like in the Elear maybe the dynamic excitement the Elears give the music would be commonplace?
Completely agree with you. After having both for over a year, my preference are the Elear. However I do feel that the hd6xx are much more comfortable.

Oct 2, 2020 at 11:41 PM Post #6,156 of 6,742
Btw is it possible to use 2x (2.5 mm to 3.5 mm adapter) on the Susvara cable to connect the the Elear. I don’t have balance cable so I’m thinking if I can use the Susvara stock 4 pin xlr this way lol

Oct 9, 2020 at 2:28 AM Post #6,157 of 6,742
Btw is it possible to use 2x (2.5 mm to 3.5 mm adapter) on the Susvara cable to connect the the Elear. I don’t have balance cable so I’m thinking if I can use the Susvara stock 4 pin xlr this way lol
I'm not sure about that without seeing how the cable is wired as I don't have the Susvara.

Oct 9, 2020 at 4:52 AM Post #6,158 of 6,742
I'm not sure about that without seeing how the cable is wired as I don't have the Susvara.
I ordered 2x adapter.
Once I return from vacation I will see try to see if it’s work lol

Oct 28, 2020 at 8:29 PM Post #6,159 of 6,742
So my Elairs, purchased new 15 months ago have started creaking. I'm not sure if it's in the headband or the swivel point for the cup, but I hear it mostly in my right ear.

What is the consensus on best way to handle this? Do I contact Focal for warranty service, or try buying the Teflon spray lubricant first?

Oct 28, 2020 at 8:44 PM Post #6,160 of 6,742
So my Elairs, purchased new 15 months ago have started creaking. I'm not sure if it's in the headband or the swivel point for the cup, but I hear it mostly in my right ear.

What is the consensus on best way to handle this? Do I contact Focal for warranty service, or try buying the Teflon spray lubricant first?

It if was me, for just a creaking sound I'd try a small amount of some kind of gentle lubricant like a clear dry teflon or drop of graphite lube or something. I wouldn't file a warranty repair for creaking. I'd look for something in a dropper so you can put a drop or two where needed, not an aerosol can.

I've had mine since April and no problems yet. Just lots of great music listening. Right now I've got Clear pads on mine and these sound insanely good. This will probably be my endgame, because they sound good, and I don't have the kind of money to spend more than these cost. I'll probably try selling my stock Elear pads and Utopia pads though.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2020 at 8:50 PM Post #6,161 of 6,742
Right now I've got Clear pads on mine and these sound insanely good. This will probably be my endgame, because they sound good, and I don't have the kind of money to spend more than these cost. I'll probably try selling my stock Elear pads and Utopia pads though.

Funny you say that. I use the red Clear Pro pads. Perfect combination. As good as having the Clear.

I may call their service dept in Canada tomorrow and see what they say.

Oct 28, 2020 at 8:57 PM Post #6,162 of 6,742
Funny you say that. I use the red Clear Pro pads. Perfect combination. As good as having the Clear.

It should be as good as having an Elex, which is what I was going to get back in March/April, but at the time it was a pre-order that I would have had to wait months for, and I'm waaay to impatient for that. So I got the Elear bundled with the Focal case and Utopia pads for $600. Earlier this week I decided I wanted to see if I liked them with the Clear pads even more, and I do. I should have probably gotten the red ones you have, but went with the regular grey ones. I just thought the red would look to flashy, and that the grey pads would look nicer with the silver parts of the Elear.

Every time I put these on I'm still blown away by the sound. I need to listen to more jazz with these, but the impact of bass drums in progressive rock and metal is so addicting.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2020 at 9:20 PM Post #6,163 of 6,742

Did you buy your pads within Canada? Montrealer here. So the pads really do the job huh?

Oct 28, 2020 at 9:26 PM Post #6,164 of 6,742
Did you buy your pads within Canada? Montrealer here. So the pads really do the job huh?

The better deal would be the Elex pads but there is currently no "Drop" for them, and with how bad the last batch of the pads went I'd be concerned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back