Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Aug 27, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #5,341 of 6,742
Aug 28, 2018 at 2:14 AM Post #5,342 of 6,742
after a year the left driver on the elear just died. no sound. (not the cable I swapped it). I'm trying to contact focal

Hello there,

I had the same issue about a month ago, then took it to Bombay (Mumbai) where the dealer (one of two here in India) checked the headphones, said that the coil was broken (he didn't know the reason, told me it could've been a sudden blast of high volume, which I highly doubt) and repaired it. Took ₹4000. Mine was bought from the US and brought here less than a year ago, but only US warranty. So that was that. Hope your pair is repaired as well.
Cheers and happy listening

Aug 28, 2018 at 7:31 AM Post #5,346 of 6,742
Yeah, pretty easy!

So, do you think that the Elex pads will solve the midrange problem? I read only about the bass on the internet..

Of which midrange 'problem' do you speak? I often hear about the so-called midrange 'dip' but any effect on sound I've heard is subtle at best, and only when compared to other high-end headphones like the LCD-3. That said the Elex is meant to smooth out the effects of the dip (by reducing the bass), so let's wait and see. I also have Elex pads on order, so should be interesting. Currently I'm using @DekoniAudio fenestrated sheepskin pads on my Elear as I find them better made, more comfortable and better sounding than stock.

Aug 28, 2018 at 10:54 AM Post #5,347 of 6,742
I'm talking about the vocals, I can't hear them properly on the Elear, I find them very low, indeed I prefer those headphones to watch movies, I don't use them for music. I have 16 hours to decide. The problem is that I really like the bass, I'm a bass head probably.
Decisions, decisions, decisions.... Not easy :sweat_smile:

Aug 28, 2018 at 11:09 AM Post #5,348 of 6,742
I'm talking about the vocals, I can't hear them properly on the Elear, I find them very low, indeed I prefer those headphones to watch movies, I don't use them for music. I have 16 hours to decide. The problem is that I really like the bass, I'm a bass head probably.
Interesting. To me the vocals are definitely not recessed or soft. Perhaps some vocal ‘edge’ is a bit smoothed by the ‘dip’ but the vocals (to me) are very distinct. All depends how the track you’re listening to was mastered of course. The Elears are by no means V-shaped and the bass doesn’t bleed into the mids either. If you’re a basshead chances are you’re not going to like the “Elex” version of the Elear.

What amp and dac are you using to drive the Elear? Despite the lowish impedance I find it needs quite a bit of power to drive properly and a lot of power to shine (along with a low impendance solid state or tube amp).

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #5,349 of 6,742
Interesting. To me the vocals are definitely not recessed or soft. Perhaps some vocal ‘edge’ is a bit smoothed by the ‘dip’ but the vocals (to me) are very distinct. All depends how the track you’re listening to was mastered of course. The Elears are by no means V-shaped and the bass doesn’t bleed into the mids either. If you’re a basshead chances are you’re not going to like the “Elex” version of the Elear.

What amp and dac are you using to drive the Elear? Despite the lowish impedance I find it needs quite a bit of power to drive properly and a lot of power to shine (along with a low impendance solid state or tube amp).

Depends on who you ask. I consider the Elear to be v-shaped. Not to a huge degree, but to my ears they are.

Aug 28, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #5,350 of 6,742
Depends on who you ask. I consider the Elear to be v-shaped. Not to a huge degree, but to my ears they are.
Fostex TH-900 are v-shaped. B&W P7 are v-shaped. The Elear, to my ears, are much more neutral and ‘flat’ compared to both, altbough of course they’re not neutral. Far more balanced across the spectrum, and even more so with the Dekoni pads (and again with the Elex pads I’d imagine).

Just goes to show how we all hear the same headphones differently.

Aug 28, 2018 at 11:29 AM Post #5,351 of 6,742

Well, the Sonarware True-fi app definitely removes any semblance of mid-range suck-out. Vocals are definitely brought further to the front using it.

Aug 28, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #5,352 of 6,742
Well, the Sonarware True-fi app definitely removes any semblance of mid-range suck-out. Vocals are definitely brought further to the front using it.
I suspect the Elex pads will have a similar effect by reducing the bass thereby ‘balancing’ the mids.

Aug 28, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #5,353 of 6,742
If you do make the change and turn your Elear into an Elex, I feel confident that you'll be pleased. The Elex is by no means bass shy, it hits with authority and provides a very dynamic sense of the music. The fact that you don't hear the vocals clearly are not your hears fooling you, indeed the Elear has a dip in the 4-6 KHz, as can be seen in measurements. This and the elevated bass may generate the sensation you're describing. I recently reviewed the Elex (https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/massdrop-focal-elex.23255/reviews#review-20743) and IMO it does very well with voices.

Aug 30, 2018 at 5:32 AM Post #5,354 of 6,742
Sorry about the delay. Anyway, I took the risk and I bought the Elex pads.
To be honest I don't use a proper amp, indeed I use an Onkyo TX-SR252, my problem is where I live I can't test any amplifier, so I ended up with that.
I can't buy the Sonarworks software, because I need it for android (DAP+multimedia player), so I am waiting for their android app, I'm sure it will solve the midrange problem I hear.
Thank you for the advices, I'm curious about the Elex pads now :sunglasses:

Aug 30, 2018 at 5:47 AM Post #5,355 of 6,742
Why don't you invest in another amp, @Glasha? Although the Elear doesn't need an amp, it does benefit from one, and because of its relatively low impedance and high sensitivity a dedicated headphone amp in the €100 range might be a worthwhile investment over the headphone out on your AV receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back