Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Aug 9, 2018 at 11:27 PM Post #5,312 of 6,742
I went another pad route for now...

mGFx5Dl.jpg

How did you mount those pads on the Elear?

Aug 10, 2018 at 6:08 AM Post #5,313 of 6,742
@arjubx It involves performing an autopsy on the original pads i.e. you lose them. I used an xacto knife to cut the material away and remove the hard, inner ring. The Shure pads slip right over it and then you attach as you would normally.

Aug 16, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #5,314 of 6,742
I now have both Elear and Clear. Elear was used when I bought it earlier. I quite liked it but the midrange hole was apparent so I went for Clear. Clears are now my favourite headphones I have listened to.

I tried putting Clear pads to Elear and yes, that does help much. They don't sound like Clear but that does fix the midrange hole for some extent. If the Dekoni pads are like Clear pads in this sense, they are worth considering. I may even end up keeping Elears and buy Dekoni pads to them and a shorter cable. :)

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2018 at 5:03 PM Post #5,315 of 6,742
I now have both Elear and Clear. Elear was used when I bought it earlier. I quite liked it but the midrange hole was apparent so I went for Clear. Clears are now my favourite headphones I have listened to.

I tried putting Clear pads to Elear and yes, that does help much. They don't sound like Clear but that does fix the midrange hole for some extent. If the Dekoni pads are like Clear pads in this sense, they are worth considering. I may even end up keeping Elears and buy Dekoni pads to them and a shorter cable. :)
The Dekoni pads are better in that a) you can actually buy them, and b) they’re made of leather, not a light colored material that’s bound to get oily and discolored. I love how my Elears look, feel and sound with the Dekoni pads, and if one day Focal make a black Clear, I may even consider buying it and a set of Dekoni pads to replace the fabric.

Aug 16, 2018 at 6:05 PM Post #5,316 of 6,742
The Dekoni pads are better in that a) you can actually buy them, and b) they’re made of leather, not a light colored material that’s bound to get oily and discolored. I love how my Elears look, feel and sound with the Dekoni pads, and if one day Focal make a black Clear, I may even consider buying it and a set of Dekoni pads to replace the fabric.

Clear Professional is black (pads are red) so if you replace the original pads with Dekoni pads, you can get black Clears. Well, the headband padding seems to be red also from the bottom so it wouldn't be totally black.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2018 at 1:22 AM Post #5,317 of 6,742
Clear Professional is black (pads are red) so if you replace the original pads with Dekoni pads, you can get black Clears. Well, the headband padding seems to be red also from the bottom so it wouldn't be totally black.
Yes it’s the padding I have an issue with, even on the Elear. They should have stuck with leather like the Utopia.

Aug 17, 2018 at 1:28 AM Post #5,318 of 6,742

Ditto! I feel the same about Fenestrated Sheepskin pads; they elevate Elears into a new level. I must admit that I did not compare Elears with Dekoni and Clear's pads at the same time, but if Clear's pads were a noticeable improvement over stock Elear pads, Dekoni are the final touch.
Please take a note that to some who found Elear involving for their full, rich yet dynamic sound Dekoni pads will simply 'tighten up' Elears' sound without making them sound too lean and thin. Such sound maybe still not ideal to those brought up on CD & MP3 formats (or for contributing dealers wanting to sell the latest greatest) but others who value full, rich sound of analog will find nirvana in their Elears + Dekoni combo.
El1.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2018 at 7:44 AM Post #5,320 of 6,742
If someone has both Clear and Elear with Dekoni pads, it would be interesting to know how they compare sonically.
My guess is they’ll sound identical because they’re the same headphone. Elex might clip a bit sooner with louder bass music though.

Aug 17, 2018 at 8:40 AM Post #5,321 of 6,742
There must be lots of similarities. However, AFAIK The Clear has new drivers. The Elear and Elex do share the same drivers and measurements have shown that provide they have the same pads, they sound identical within the error limits of the measure instruments
My guess is they’ll sound identical because they’re the same headphone. Elex might clip a bit sooner with louder bass music though.

Aug 17, 2018 at 9:19 AM Post #5,322 of 6,742
There must be lots of similarities. However, AFAIK The Clear has new drivers. The Elear and Elex do share the same drivers and measurements have shown that provide they have the same pads, they sound identical within the error limits of the measure instruments
Apologies I misread the question. The Clear and Elear will definitely sound different, as the Clear has a different voice coil and lower impedance. Not sure which I’d prefer, if both had the same pads. Should be an interesting tussle. Elex and Elear with the Dekoni would sound identical.

Aug 23, 2018 at 4:46 PM Post #5,324 of 6,742
So the question is...https://www.moon-audio.com/focal-clear-headphone-pads.html for $200 + Elear close enough to Clears? :)

Elears are hovering around $600 new, while the Clears are around 2x the price. Although to be fair, the Clear's accessories are VERY nice.
If the Elex is close enough to the Clear (some actually prefer the Elex to the Clear), then yes. Elear + Clear pads = Elex. Clear has the same driver but a different voice coil and better material. Elear is, to me, the current bargain of the high-end headphone world. At $1500 the Clear has tough competition. At $600 the Elear is hard to beat.

Aug 23, 2018 at 5:03 PM Post #5,325 of 6,742
Does anyone have a comparison of the Elex (or Elear with Clear Pads) vs Elear/Elex + Dekoni Fenestrated pads or hybrid pads?

I kind of want to try the Dekoni pad for comfort, but dont want to spend that much on a pad blindly. They cost more than other headphone models they sell and have bought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back