Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Mar 15, 2018 at 12:48 AM Post #5,026 of 6,742
My Elear has always had a kind of crackling sound from the headband when I put them on but nothing more. They make no noise while I'm wearing them or when I move my head while I have them on. I've had my pair for about a year and a half now and luckily I've had no real issues them on any level.
Same as me.

Mar 15, 2018 at 12:51 AM Post #5,027 of 6,742
I had the exact same rattling problem on the pair that I sold...was kind of scary to hear on an expensive pair of headphones.
On mine at least, the rattling just comes from the yokes hitting the "edges" in their holes, as far forward or backwards they can go. So it doesn't really feel like anything's "wrong" inside there, seems like it's just bound to happen due to how the yoke system works.
Can't comment on what sounds other people are having though...

Mar 15, 2018 at 6:38 AM Post #5,028 of 6,742
Mine has the cracling sound too, but honestly I always thought that they were projected to produce that sound, I mean it's a delicate part of the headphones, so I though it was a normal sound, but now you are saying that maybe it's an error by them.

Mar 15, 2018 at 6:40 AM Post #5,029 of 6,742
My first dealer claimed that it's because I have a large head, so I have to use them in the largest, all-the-way-extended setting. I take it you guys without problems use it somewhere in the middle of the adjustment notches?

Mar 15, 2018 at 9:54 PM Post #5,030 of 6,742
My first dealer claimed that it's because I have a large head, so I have to use them in the largest, all-the-way-extended setting. I take it you guys without problems use it somewhere in the middle of the adjustment notches?
5 clicks out for me.

Mar 19, 2018 at 9:26 PM Post #5,032 of 6,742
I think we are talking about the same sound just call it differently...
This is how my first pair sounded. I made this video to demonstrate it to Focal. They replaced the headphones, but the new pair developed the same issue in a couple of months. It doesn't matter how far the band is extended:

Mar 20, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #5,036 of 6,742
Pretty sure the internet is already riddled with impressions of these cans, but I've finally decided to add my ramblings to the list - if anyone is interested, please feel free to have a look at the below:

https://audioprimate.blog/2018/03/14/focal-elear-dynamism-with-a-dash-of-french-flair/#more-7277

Also thrown in some comparisons to the Aeon Closed and Campfire Audio Cascade, so will be interested to know if anyone Ernst has this combo to compare thoughts?

"someone was listening to them before me at about 115dB, I kid you not—cranking the first track without checking the volume almost led to my brief and unremarkable career as a hobbyist reviewer being cut down in its prime"

a_laugh.gif

Nice review, and writing style!

Mar 20, 2018 at 10:30 PM Post #5,037 of 6,742
I think we are talking about the same sound just call it differently...
This is how my first pair sounded. I made this video to demonstrate it to Focal. They replaced the headphones, but the new pair developed the same issue in a couple of months. It doesn't matter how far the band is extended:

Pretty sure mine's not creaking like that, only rattling when the yokes hit the edges of their "holes" in the headband (the metal bit that says "focal"). Does it make that sound when it's on your head and you move aswell?

Mar 20, 2018 at 10:44 PM Post #5,038 of 6,742
Just wanted to say that although there have been very few (1?) references to Periapt cables, I think they deserve more recognition in this thread.

For a long time I couldn’t find a satisfactory replacement for the crazy factory cable. Pretty sure I don’t have to explain how unwieldy this thing is.

Instead, I wanted a balanced 4-pin XLR termination for my Jotunheim, but the custom cables mentioned in this thread and elsewhere seemed to start at at least USD140 (for the Beyerdynamic cable, which was too long) and going up from USD200 for customs.

Anyway, I came across Periapt, and bought one of their cables for about USD80 incl shipping. Aside from the wait (3-4 weeks) I am extremely happy.

The cable itself looks extremely high quality to me, and the sound is amazing. Admittedly, much of the sound improvement is due to the (apparently higher) performance of the XLR output of the Jot vs the SE. But regardless, it feels like I have a top-quality cable at a very reasonable price.

Honestly I was on the verge of putting the Elears on the market and dropping an extra grand on Clears, mainly to get the balanced and non-crazy cable! Glad I didn’t. Thanks Periapt.

Mar 21, 2018 at 12:17 AM Post #5,039 of 6,742
Pretty sure mine's not creaking like that, only rattling when the yokes hit the edges of their "holes" in the headband (the metal bit that says "focal"). Does it make that sound when it's on your head and you move aswell?

My second pair is creaking when I'm wearing them, this is why I'm going to keep them. Love these headphones paired with the Mojo!

Mar 21, 2018 at 4:14 PM Post #5,040 of 6,742
Just wanted to say that although there have been very few (1?) references to Periapt cables, I think they deserve more recognition in this thread.

do the ends lock into the headphones and is that a hard plastic 4 pin plug, how is the quality? I am also on the look out for a affordable cable replacement and they look good on the website

Users who are viewing this thread

Back