Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Feb 10, 2018 at 1:15 PM Post #4,951 of 6,742
I've had my Elear for almost a year and a half and they still work and sound great. I do feel for the ones that have had issues with theirs but it seems like Focal are good about fixing whatever issues people do have.

Also how many people out there EQ theirs? I know quite a few do in the 4k to 8k region but what are some of the other frequencies do people mess with? I also like to go up about 2dB to 3dB in the bass region, from about 20Hz through about 250Hz. I find it gives my electronic music that little bit of extra kick I'm looking for. I'm thinking of getting the Schiit Loki 4 band EQ to go with my little Schiit stack which I'll be adding the Magni 3 as an upgrade over my Magni 2. Has anyone used the Loki and if so is it worth getting or are the digital EQ on my PC and Dap's good enough?

Sonarworks True-fi software does a great job with the Elear! Download and give it a try- free trial.

Feb 18, 2018 at 6:33 PM Post #4,953 of 6,742
Well, I just joined the club of those with faulty Elears. The right driver died without warning. They were ok the last time I used them and now the right driver is dead.
I purchased mine from Dedicated Audio last October, when they where mostly unavailable. I just contacted them for instructions on the warranty.

I just hope everything will go ok.. anyhow, it is still an scary experience...

Focal really needs to have a very expedite and hassle free warranty process if they hope to overcome the image they are gaining with all these failures.

This is the first headphone failure that I have experienced and I have tried most of brands and have pretty old headphones around. One would expect that a brand such as Focal would be at least as robust.

Still, I would be willing to continue trying other Focal headphones if they make this process easy. They do sound fine..

Feb 18, 2018 at 6:45 PM Post #4,955 of 6,742
Mar 1, 2018 at 2:01 PM Post #4,957 of 6,742
A month ago, I contacted Focal about a buzzing noise occurring intermittently and set up an RMA to have it replaced. Michel from their support helped me the whole way and replied quickly when I emailed.

The replacement is a new batch and there is definitely a positive difference in the build quality of the old Elear. The headband has been redesigned and no longer creaks, pads have better stitching tolerences, and it fits slightly more comfortably.

Even though I purchased it “open box” from Adorama, and after Adorama would not respond to my emails, Focal had no issue with honoring their one year warranty. In hindsight I should’ve contacted Focal first.

Mar 1, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #4,958 of 6,742
A month ago, I contacted Focal about a buzzing noise occurring intermittently and set up an RMA to have it replaced. Michel from their support helped me the whole way and replied quickly when I emailed.

The replacement is a new batch and there is definitely a positive difference in the build quality of the old Elear. The headband has been redesigned and no longer creaks, pads have better stitching tolerences, and it fits slightly more comfortably.

Even though I purchased it “open box” from Adorama, and after Adorama would not respond to my emails, Focal had no issue with honoring their one year warranty. In hindsight I should’ve contacted Focal first.

Adorama lost their dealer franchise with Focal so maybe they feel it’s Focals issue to deal with warranty? It isn’t how we would do it but it may be their style. IDK

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Mar 2, 2018 at 3:17 PM Post #4,959 of 6,742
I've been listening to a pair of Elears for the past few weeks powered by a Dragonfly Black while I research and save up to get a larger desktop amp. I like the dynamics and detail of the Elears, but sometimes get fatigued from how forward they are when listening for several hours. Has anyone had any experience pairing the Elears with amps that mellow out the sound a bit? Tubes? Any thoughts/recommendations would be appreciated.

Mar 3, 2018 at 1:16 AM Post #4,960 of 6,742
I've been listening to a pair of Elears for the past few weeks powered by a Dragonfly Black while I research and save up to get a larger desktop amp. I like the dynamics and detail of the Elears, but sometimes get fatigued from how forward they are when listening for several hours. Has anyone had any experience pairing the Elears with amps that mellow out the sound a bit? Tubes? Any thoughts/recommendations would be appreciated.

The best thing that you can do is get or buy another headphone. The Elear is an overrated very forward honking sounding headphone that is very annoying.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2018 at 1:26 AM Post #4,961 of 6,742
I've had my Elear for almost a year and a half and they still work and sound great. I do feel for the ones that have had issues with theirs but it seems like Focal are good about fixing whatever issues people do have.

Also how many people out there EQ theirs? I know quite a few do in the 4k to 8k region but what are some of the other frequencies do people mess with? I also like to go up about 2dB to 3dB in the bass region, from about 20Hz through about 250Hz. I find it gives my electronic music that little bit of extra kick I'm looking for. I'm thinking of getting the Schiit Loki 4 band EQ to go with my little Schiit stack which I'll be adding the Magni 3 as an upgrade over my Magni 2. Has anyone used the Loki and if so is it worth getting or are the digital EQ on my PC and Dap's good enough?

You need to EQ the heck out of them. They lack bass like nobodies business. I would exchange them for a better headphone altogether since they sound horrendous.

Mar 3, 2018 at 1:33 AM Post #4,962 of 6,742
I can't disagree with you more, huberd!! With the latest 1.07 Dragonfly update, the Elear is even more dynamic(and better IMO). An excellent pairing. IMO the Dragonfly is surprisingly better than my Fiio amps. I have the DFB and will now probably get the DFR next.

That said, I understand what tbollier means if he did the 1.07 update. I have to turn the volume down now with the new update, because if too loud when playing music(voice is OK) the Elear can get fatiguing. Unfortunately I can't truly recommend any amps though. I'm limited in funds so I can't get the "good" ones. The Fiio ones are OK but didn't bring out what the DFB does. I wonder if Chord Mojo would work for you tbollier, everyone seems to rave about that one.

Lack bass?? WHAT?! I guess if you like booming head banging bass then yes. I like bass too but also need balanced bass. Too much boom is just a fatiguing as too much treble IMO.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2018 at 2:01 AM Post #4,963 of 6,742
The best thing that you can do is get or buy another headphone. The Elear is an overrated very forward honking sounding headphone that is very annoying.
I’m not a fan of the sound signature of them, but the dynamics, details, and separation are too good for me to get rid of them, so I opened up the top end and smoothed the mids a little with a silver balanced cable. I also run them on a tube amp that let me find tubes that compliment them and balance them out.

Sonarworks reference 4 also helps balance them out.

Mar 4, 2018 at 12:50 AM Post #4,964 of 6,742
You need to EQ the heck out of them. They lack bass like nobodies business. I would exchange them for a better headphone altogether since they sound horrendous.

Feels good to find an inanimate object to channel your misery into doesn't it. I've been there.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2018 at 1:41 AM Post #4,965 of 6,742
I don't understand the small amount of recent hate for the Elears... I think they sound wonderful and are the best I've heard.

Edit: And I do not EQ a lick and still enjoy them immensely. Maybe I'm not as picky as others?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back